Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Looky What I just got - 4341 Monitors

hold the saw

Hey girl...

I still have a carcass 6260 here of yours that will take up 4 more spaces. I can't remember if I left a loaner or what so please refresh my memory.

I will be in the Balt area in the next month or so and possibly finish the mods / amps / grills / L200's etc we discussed. LMK

sub

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    Hey girl...

I still have a carcass 6260 here of yours that will take up 4 more spaces. I can't remember if I left a loaner or what so please refresh my memory.

I will be in the Balt area in the next month or so and possibly finish the mods / amps / grills / L200's etc we discussed. LMK

sub
    I could just barely lift the old rack when filled, this one - not a chance!
    Once its in place on the left speaker I'll have to pull an amp or two before
    I can move it off ... and there's no where else to put it!

Besides, that 6260 will just fill the space left by your loaner ...!

You took the one with the bad relay to fix, left us a loaner, and
    I gave you that burned unit for parts or grins or whatever.

Grills would be nice ...the 4341s have been nekid too long ...

L200 mods - which ones ?? for 2312 horns? Should I get a pair?
    I already have 2405s, 2234s and G's 3133 equiv design crossovers in there,
    longhorns would bring them closer to 4333 Monitors -
    - except for that infernal box design (grin)
    - Just keep the sawzall at bay, ok?

Thanks Mike!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Nice work! You can re-use your shorter rack rails in the rear- to support deeper gear that reaches the back, reverse-facing shallow gear you don't need to see/access, lacing bars, or even just some panels for some squaring/bracing.

Give a call for brainstorming if you like. Sorry I've been busy with visitors, did you ever work out the slight hum you were hearing with the Adcom piece?

je
    When I first powered it up Monday, there was a LOUD HUM - cured by putting a 3-2 adapter on the Adcom power cord where it plugs into the wall. Thats what cured it before when I first biamped the system. I had a short, high-current power strip for the 2 amps and the Ashly - lifting the ground leg on that cured it before. The power strip is no longer needed when using the Adcom, and I'd left the ground adapter off the system at first.

I "think" I tested that wall outlet once and it was ok - all the gear in that room is plugged into the same outlet (except for the Citation sub-Amp) so it should all have a common ground, except for the CATV, of course, and disconnecting that didn't change anything.

There is a very faint buzz/hum if its cranked up - we never run it loud in that room, and frankly, the aquarium make more noise than that ...

The aquarium is a temporary addition for the winter, just to keep from loosing the big Koi when our too-shallow pond freezes. Sometimes when we are watching TV we notice all the fish lined up at the end of the tank, watching the show. I'll have to take a picture of that - its a real Monty Python moment!

As you know, as we all know, there are never enough hours in the day to get all this cool stuff done!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

I goggled and got contact info for the Adcom home office
    Advanced Sound & Image, LLC
    8541 E. Anderson Dr.
    Suite 101
    Scottsdale, AZ 85255

Gave them a call yesterday and ordered the rackmount ears for the Adcom Power switch ACE-515, but at the moment its just sitting on the bottom of the rack on rubber feet. Once I have the ears I'll mount them 1U off the bottom. The Ass't pastor at our church got a TV stand with rack rails and panels. He didn't need them so he removed them and the wrinkle-black blanks and gave them to Emma for me!

I left 3U between the Ashley and the JBL/URIE 6230 - but I'd lift the Ashley higher if I add a parametric or something similar.

Excuse the masking tape tabs on the wires - for commercial work I'd use a brother label printer, but the tape is functional enough for me.
    Besides, it plays well again!

Now, where's that Tempest CD??
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I thought there was another power amp in the mix...sub maybe? I figured that's why you expanded to that size.

There's always stuff here, so ask before you spend $$$. Pretty sure there are some utility shelves hidden away, along with some custom-faced shelves that may end up being useful. Let me know.

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    I thought there was another power amp in the mix...sub maybe? I figured that's why you expanded to that size.

There's always stuff here, so ask before you spend $$$. Pretty sure there are some utility shelves hidden away, along with some custom-faced shelves that may end up being useful. Let me know.

je

Sub Amp (Citation 22) sits on the other speaker, on a separate circuit, and away from all the other gear. I only run it for occasional movies - the mains have plenty of bass for music and most uses. The real reason to expand the rack was that I never did have the top holes of the 6260 screwed into the rails - they were just a little too high on the short rails, and with the Adcom switcher it was even worse, even tho I'd temporarily tightened up the rack spacing. Yes, what I have now is overkill, but hopefully I won't need to do it again for a long time.

The beech shelf end panels were perfect because I already have a lot of beech stuff in the room, even if its sitting on glass on a walnut speaker cab next to a teak turntable/stereo rack. The only money involved was for screws and the pair of rack rails, everything else was repurposed stuff I had stashed in the past - I just don't have as awesome or extensive a stash as yours

But I really do appreciate the offer!

Hey, Heather...

Looking at the picture, I'm a little confused on your gain structure? Indulge me...

You've got the Ashly Lo output at +7dB and the subs amp (the uppermost one?) gain down -??dB.

What I'd do, is...

Set the amp gains to full on - both of them. Set the Ashly outputs and inputs to Unity. Then adjust the Ashly outputs to "taste". If anything, you may want to back off the MF/HF amp (only) gains a bit, since those transducers require much less power than that amp is capable of.

Also, FWIW, I'd re-rack that stack, as follows (top to bottom).

(top)
    Adcom thingy
    XR1001
    MF/HF amp
    LF amp
    (bottom)

It makes more sense from a weight and center of gravity perspective... I tried a nasty paste-up in Paint. Not pretty, but gives the idea.

Pretty nice job on the handiwork, btw...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Also, FWIW, I'd re-rack that stack, as follows (top to bottom).
    It does look good. I'm guessing Heather stacked them for inductive cooling considerations, bottom-to-top coldest to hottest. Just my guess. I think I'd feel better with the heavy stuff on the bottom, too.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    ...stacked them for inductive cooling considerations...
    Whatever the adjective... , the whole dang back is open and with that gear, there is no real advantage.

Whatever the adjective... , the whole dang back is open and with that gear, there is no real advantage.
    Awww - NOW you guys tell me ... nobody mentioned that with the other short rack.
    I had to stand on the arm of the sofa to load that 6260 up top!

Well, as you guessed, I figured the hottest gear should be at the top -
    didn't make sense heating up the crossover or the power switch ...
    but of course, it WOULD be easier to work on if it was reversed ...

The levels on the Ashley and Amps got bumped when I racked everything -
    so thats what showed when I took the pictures. Once I started listening I realized they were off
    and I set them back the way I'd run them before.
    I had been running the JBL/UREIs at roughly 7db down, and the Ashley outputs at about +1 ...

Edit - done deal:
    I followed your guidance, Bo, and reset the levels to 3db down (0db just seems too loud) for both power amps, and unity gain on the Ashley ...
    not sure when I'll re-order the rack tho - Its not tippy or anything, but I do hear ya ...

JBL 4645
    I like it Heather, but isn’t it starting to look a bit cluttered now. Those amplifiers will power the JBL over long distances maybe different room to house the rack, otherwise if you keep piling it up in the room, you aren’t going to have enough room to swing a cat around. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Awww - NOW you guys tell me ... nobody mentioned that with the other short rack.
    I had to stand on the arm of the sofa to load that 6260 up top!

Well, as you guessed, I figured the hottest gear should be at the top -
    didn't make sense heating up the crossover or the power switch ...
    but of course, it WOULD be easier to work on if it was reversed ...

The levels on the Ashley and Amps got bumped when I racked everything -
    so thats what showed when I took the pictures. Once I started listening I realized they were off
    and I set them back the way I'd run them before.
    I had been running the JBL/UREIs at roughly 7db down, and the Ashley outputs at about +1 ...

I'll follow your guidance, Bo, and reset the levels next time I'm tweaking things -
    not sure when I'll re-order the rack tho - Its not tippy or anything, but I do hear ya ...
    Shes got me on her mind again. It's Ashly not Ashley LOL

So the JBL UREI don’t have fans on the back hmmm, I thought there was something different about them. So it must be only the JBL 6290 that has the fan on the rear of the amplifier then.

Jeepers Heather, well - since Bo started the ball rolling anyway, personally speaking - I'd leave the Ashly powered up all the time....I do it over here with my Marchand high pass DIY system AND my Ashly based low pass system.

I do other stuff to reduce my carbon footprint.

JBL 4645
    So the JBL UREI don’t have fans on the back hmmm, I thought there was something different about them. So it must be only the JBL 6290 that has the fan on the rear of the amplifier then.

Wow that was thread or, bugger me, I can feel a bit of chill around my neck! Its 2° tonight a bit nippy! Anyway I noticed on page 6 I think that was last year and how in the blazes did this thread fly low under the radar I’ll never know?

I’ve just noticed you’re not using the XLR inputs on the JBL amplifiers XLR will give you better support.

That’s it I’m going to bed now its getting cold the living room, later. My cat is tucked up warm, good for him, I’m getting under the duvet now, before I turn into ice Popsicle.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    ...I’ve just noticed you’re not using the XLR inputs on the JBL amplifiers XLR will give you better support.
    Maybe yes, maybe no...

Are those interconnects XLR -> TRS, Heather? Balanced? If not, it would lower your noise floor to go that way, or stay XLRf -> XLRm...

JBL 4645
    Maybe yes, maybe no...

Are those interconnects XLR -> TRS, Heather? Balanced? If not, it would lower your noise floor to go that way, or stay XLRf -> XLRm...
    bop

5° / -3° today, its going to get quit nippy this evening!

I only leaned in brief that was told to all the students in the class a few years ago, at (music and technology course) that (XLR) is mans best friend and girls as well.

So what does (TRS) mean and what’s its purpose?

Oh, there is just one other thing thou.

Noise floor does this have anything to do with the -10db? Because when I re-cut the audio cables for XLR use I noticed a -10db drop from using RCA phone.

Thread Information