Quote Originally Posted by marvinf View Post
"I have owned one of these for over 35 years now... I also have owned a set of Bose 901's for about the same time period. I now have the Bose 901 Series VI and I would not buy any other speakers but these. I have audition speakers costing $60,000.00 and more and I will say hands down, the 901 is the best. They must be set up correctly in order to get the best out of them, but once you have done that, you will hear why I am saying they are the best."
A friend recently asked about the 901s. I told him that when I first heard them in 1974 I was blown away by them. They were in a stereo shop powered by a McIntosh MC2300 and knowing what I know now, were not set up ideally... however with my young and admittedly inexperienced ears, they blew me away.

In any event, Bose sells the current version, the Series VI for the modest cost of $1400 a pair including the equalizer and will let you audition them in your home for 30 days. My friend ordered a pair. I eagerly went over to help him set them up and give them a listen. I was impressed that Bose can sell them at this price point, and with a big amp, they will get very loud without undue strain... however, they do not hold up well overall compared to anything I listen to daily. Admittedly everything I have at home costs several times their cost, but I really missed true bass and treble free of breakup mode harmonics. Now, with a sub and proper super tweeter they would be pretty enjoyable and they do offer a very interesting take on stereo presentation.

If you listened to a male a cappella ensemble, they would likely blow you away and not need any augmentation...

Widget