Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: K2 S5800 and K2 S9800SE on sale

Don't worry

This one was busted before it was packed. It was in a cocoon of expanding foam bags and the box wasn't beat up at all. The pic doesn't really show it, but you can tell that it's been banged hard right at the point where the crack starts, plus there's another sharp dent right on the edge of the basket flange at another spot. No way that happened through inches of foam.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Don't worry

This one was busted before it was packed. It was in a cocoon of expanding foam bags and the box wasn't beat up at all. The pic doesn't really show it, but you can tell that it's been banged hard right at the point where the crack starts, plus there's another sharp dent right on the edge of the basket flange at another spot. No way that happened through inches of foam.
    Wow, that's really nuts for it to be broken like that and some dummy either didn't look at it well, or just shipped it anyway

Sorry to hear about that.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Sounds of the S5800

I've spent a great deal of time listening to the S5800 now and I really love the sound that they are putting out. They are so much more detailed than the 250Ti speakers. Not that the 250's are bad sounding. It's just that the S5800 allow me to hear things I never ever heard with the 250Ti's. Little sounds that happen in the studio such as the sounds a bass makes when the strings are touched. My pal out in California, Washnak, who got a pair as well feels the same way. They are without a doubt the best sounding speakers that I have ever had here in the house. The Project Array 1000's that I got last spring can't even touch these 5800's. I've heard the 1400's as well and the bass is no where near as fast as it is with these. The two 12's in the 5800's more air so much better than the 14' in the PA1000 or even the 9800. it just stands to reason the larger woofer can't be as fast as two 12's working together and just can't move as much air. Yes, for the money these were the deal of the century. I'm glad I pulled the trigger on them and Washnak keeps thanking me for pointing him in their direction. Everyone should save up just in case JBL/Harman decides to blow out the Everest 66000 sometime soon. Cheers, Frank
    K2S5800,Proj Array1000,880,1500,SynthesisTWO,250Ti,240Ti,120Ti& 18Ti,S38,Libra,Ti2K,Dorian,L36,88,99,100,300,Jubal ,Apollo,4425

S5800 supreme

Good news, Frank! Glad you're enjoying them so much.

Of course, I'm not pleased to hear you bashing my favorite 14" driver (LE14H-x)! Then you bash the 1000 Array, the 1400 Array, and go after the S9800! Finally, you attack the Holy of Holies with a re-trash of the 250Ti!!!

I can only forgive you because A) your'e right about everything (except possibly the 1400 Array--I haven't made that comparison), B) you're a fellow Michigander, and C) you didn't trash my K2 S9900s (yet) with their single 15" driver similar to the S9800.

Of course, I'm kidding. Your observations are correct in the context of what you own and have heard, and I'm glad you're undeterred in being both honest and respectful in your comments. Some day when I'm back in the Motor City I'll PM you for a listen if you allow.
    Out.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by vettedrummer View Post
    The two 12's in the 5800's more air so much better than the 14' in the PA1000 or even the 9800. it just stands to reason the larger woofer can't be as fast as two 12's working together and just can't move as much air.
    The 1200FE's are killer drivers. They incorporate all the latest goodies. I'm glad you like them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Of course, I'm not pleased to hear you bashing my favorite 14" driver (LE14H-x)! Then you bash the 1000 Array, the 1400 Array, and go after the S9800! Finally, you attack the Holy of Holies with a re-trash of the 250Ti!!!

I can only forgive you because A) your'e right about everything (except possibly the 1400 Array--I haven't made that comparison), B) you're a fellow Michigander, and C) you didn't trash my K2 S9900s (yet) with their single 15" driver similar to the S9800.
    And.. OMG! Blue Blows! Red Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    The 1200FE's are killer drivers. They incorporate all the latest goodies. I'm glad you like them.

And.. OMG! Blue Blows! Red Rocks!
    Hey, living near Toledo, you know it's not quite that simple, closer to Ann Arbor and all that. Growing up there during the Bo and Woody days, it was a lot easier to like Michigan than OSU. After that, it was kind of hard to get excited anymore. Blue does blow, but Red...meh.

The only color I took out of Ohio with me was orange, as seen in the top two boxes. Still have those first two JBLs and of course the last two: K2.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Lol, I finally had to break down and buy a storage shed just to store empty boxes in.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    Hey, living near Toledo, you know it's not quite that simple, closer to Ann Arbor and all that. Growing up there during the Bo and Woody days, it was a lot easier to like Michigan than OSU. After that, it was kind of hard to get excited anymore. Blue does blow, but Red...meh.

The only color I took out of Ohio with me was orange, as seen in the top two boxes. Still have those first two JBLs and of course the last two: K2.
    Yeah my sister in law lives in Ann Arbor and she taught my son to say Go Blue as soon as he could talk. He has the hat and t-shirt too.

Orange is good, JBL's, mice, rats...
    Lol, I finally had to break down and buy a storage shed just to store empty boxes in.
    Good Grief!

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Yeah my sister in law lives in Ann Arbor and she taught my son to say Go Blue as soon as he could talk. He has the hat and t-shirt too.

Orange is good, JBL's, mice, rats...
    Good Grief!
    Yes, Orange is good
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Perhaps it beats the 1400 Arrays bass but...

Quote Originally Posted by vettedrummer View Post
    I've spent a great deal of time listening to the S5800 now and I really love the sound that they are putting out. They are so much more detailed than the 250Ti speakers. Not that the 250's are bad sounding. It's just that the S5800 allow me to hear things I never ever heard with the 250Ti's. Little sounds that happen in the studio such as the sounds a bass makes when the strings are touched. My pal out in California, Washnak, who got a pair as well feels the same way. They are without a doubt the best sounding speakers that I have ever had here in the house. The Project Array 1000's that I got last spring can't even touch these 5800's. I've heard the 1400's as well and the bass is no where near as fast as it is with these. The two 12's in the 5800's more air so much better than the 14' in the PA1000 or even the 9800. it just stands to reason the larger woofer can't be as fast as two 12's working together and just can't move as much air. Yes, for the money these were the deal of the century. I'm glad I pulled the trigger on them and Washnak keeps thanking me for pointing him in their direction. Everyone should save up just in case JBL/Harman decides to blow out the Everest 66000 sometime soon. Cheers, Frank

When I added the 1500 Array sub to my 1400's, it increased the thunderous bass response already present. Now, being driven by Marantz MA9S2 monoblocks, the bass is tighter, cleaner, faster and as deep as I want it.

However, I wish I could listen to the K2's. For some reason I suspect they ARE better. I do believe you got a hell of a deal.
    Last edited by tom1040; 03-30-2011 at 05:41 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    However, I wish I could listen to the K2's. For some reason I suspect they ARE better. I do believe you got a hell of a deal.
    I'll add some salt to the wound. The K2's are quite a bit better when it comes to accuracy in the bass. However, i suspect quite a few, will prefer the more forgiving sound of the 435Al over the 435Be/476Be. I have not yet heard the 476Mg. Hoping to audition them this summer.
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Unless I miss my guess, the 1400 Array and K2S5800 both use the 435AL.

I'd guess the dual 1200FE woofers do have an edge over the heavy coned LE14H-3, but that fat cow of a woofer has a mighty pleasant sound.

As for the rest of it, the drivers are the same and the networks are of similar sophistication. Then again the K2-S5800 is charge coupled... but the horns on the Array are better, the aesthetics of the K2-S5800 is nicer...

At the end of the day, you won't be in too bad of shape with either system.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    When I added the 1500 Array sub to my 1400's, it increased the thunderous bass response already present. Now, being driven by Marantz MA9S2 monoblocks, the bass is tighter, cleaner, faster and as deep as I want it.

I probably mentioned before that my original intention for a speaker upgrade was to purchase a pair of Array 1400’s. There was a pair for sale in upstate New York about two years ago, the price was a lot more than I was willing to spend at the time. Went and listened to them at the seller’s home, and was really impressed. His price in hindsight was fair but firm. At the time I had no idea what the Array 1400 was being so new so I passed on that opportunity.

About a year ago traveled to Audio Classics in Vestal NY with a friend to help him pick up some gear, got there about 10 AM and had some time to kill so checked out the showrooms. Low and behold a pair of 1400 Array’s sitting there, asked the salesman for a demo. He hooked them up to a McIntosh MC 602 (600 watt per channel amp) and let them play for a better part of an hour selecting tracks from the Mac music server. I was convinced that this was the speaker I needed. Went back to Audio Classics about two weeks later and gave them a listen again and of coarse they still sounded great. The asking price was a lot more that the offer I passed up a year earlier and with tax was about the list price. Decided to patiently wait for a gently used pair and budgeted about $6000.00 in reserve for the transaction when the opportunity arose.

To get to my point, I’m very familiar with the great sound of the 1400 Arrays. When the offer became available from Harman to purchase the K2’s a few weeks ago I decided to over spend my budget and purchase the K29800SE’s. Hearing both speakers at length I have to say that the 9800’s beat the 1400’s by a comfortable margin. The bass is much more accurate and clean; delineating each note in a way the 1400 could not. The midrange and high frequencies are more open and effortless and produce a more defined stereo image. This should be no surprise considering the price differential. Others have stated differing opinions, this is mine. I’m very satisfied with my purchase and really enjoying my new speakers.

Sorry. should have stated that i was referring to the S9800.
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Thread Information