After having kept an eye out and missing a local pair of 4315's for a song, I came to the realization that a 43XX monitor will only materialize in my room if I build it.

There have been plenty of great DIY projects posted, and have had some great conversations with some members here. I heard a pair of what I believe were C60's - Similar to a 4350, yes? They were magic. If anyone knows Don Corby, his JBL creations are sublime and one of my favourite speakers.

I am craving those 18" woofers in the 4345 and some of the recent projects got me wanting again.

A member mentioned that we have come a ways since the 43XX were designed and that compression drivers and waveguide technology have resulted in the ability to run a woofer, mid and horn up top, without the need for a mid horn and super tweet. Is this correct?

At present I run a pair of L5's with a pair of 12" Infinity 1262w sealed subs crossed with an Ashly XR2000 3 way XO. It's great but I want bigger and louder. I am used to 15's and 18's in my open baffle rig, and find myself missing the scale. My plan is that although the 43XX had their own passive XO, I may employ the Ashly as it has been spoken about favourably here. As for amps I have a Crown XLS1500 and a pair of shelved Bryston 3B NRB's that may get sent to Bryston for a rehab, or replaced with something newer.

Seeing as the 4345, and 4350 are both on my radar, I can see that getting Original Cone drivers won't be easy. I feel like I would rather try to chase down two 18's than four 15's, seeing as cones will be the biggest hinderance. The 2123 looks like a good mid to use, as its spoken of highly, but worry again about cones. The scarcity of original JBL cones is what has me wanting to begin amassing my drivers ASAP, as they will only get harder to source.

So for the TLDR folks, I am looking to build a 4345ish clone, perhaps making accommodations for newer technology in the waveguide/CD area, and wonder what kind of advice/input you'd all have for someone who needs to start hoarding drivers? Any major design changes I should consider? Thanks in advance folks.