Got a little more work done today. Still plenty left as I want to triple check everything.

Name:  4343-modeling-02.jpg
Views: 4078
Size:  30.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
Great thread
Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Fangio View Post
Have to agree

A bit late to the party, anyway I have walnut 4343s. Maybe these pics will help

[REMOVED IMAGE]

I did these once for Hardy aka Düse here at LH, another member who has veneered 4341 uitility cabs a while back. If you want the fullsize pics or need more dimensions let me know.

Do you consider building grilles? If so you could have a look here..

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post100805

Cheers
Thank you very much for the measurements. They will certainly come in handy when I model the walnut version and recess the fiberboard on my speakers. I want to make sure they're just like the original as this will probably have (minute) effects on the diffraction of the speakers, beneficial or not, who knows.

If it's not too much trouble I'd love some more dimensions. I'm sure the trim is very close to 25.4mm (1") from your pics, but doesn't hurt to know for sure. If you could check with a caliper I'll be very happy. Same with the flat outer edge. If I know both of them I can calculate the angle precisely.

Different numbers are thrown around, it's most likely 30 degrees (which some call 60 degrees), because they're talking about the same router bit but seen from another angle.

The grilles I have are DIY and not up to spec. It's not first priority to be honest, as the speakers deserve to have them off to show their glory

Name:  walnut-trim-4343.jpg
Views: 2547
Size:  19.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
Hi DingDing,

Nice work has been done.
After Your CAD work, we would have 'fabulous 4343' DIY documentation.
Do You plan to do any measurements?
I am especially interesting in the bass response, measured very near the dist cap, and port response too.

Is there any idea why JBL on the 4344 model placed ports between bass and mid-bass drivers, while on 4343 ports are at the bottom?

regards
ivica
Thank you.

As for the ports I'm afraid you are a far more advanced than me. Maybe it has something to do with eliminating floor bounce? I noticed that Greg Timbers recommended getting 4345 up off the floor and we also see KenRick Sound elevate their 4343's in their beautiful showroom.

I do have some measurements (didn't find the near field freq graph right now, sorry). Keep in mind that these have charge coupled crossovers, are actively xo'ed between bass and mid, utilizing 2235h, not 2231A.

This is the impedance of the woofer loaded in the cabinets without any modifications to the ports.

Name:  impedance-4343-2235h.jpg
Views: 2821
Size:  52.3 KB

So tuning around ~31 Hz w/2235h

If I can't find the old measurements I'll just take new ones.