Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL L112 Reviewed by High Fidelity Magazine January 1981

JBL L112 Reviewed by High Fidelity Magazine January 1981

Again, thanks for posting these trips down memory lane!

I've owned my L112s since new in 1981 and remember they were well received by both the audio critics and hi-fi dealers at that time. It's nice to see it in print.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Again, thanks for posting these trips down memory lane!

I've owned my L112s since new in 1981 and remember they were well received by both the audio critics and hi-fi dealers at that time. It's nice to see it in print.
    Exactly the reason I offered to share. I am having great fun perusing these books.

Was the L112 the consumer version of the 4411?

Obsolete
    The L112 and 4411 both used the same LF (128H) and HF (044).

The L112 used the round wired voice coil LE5-12 while the 4411 used the edgewound voice coil LE5-9.

The 4411 also used a higher order network, more complex and expensive.

David Smith did the 4411. Years ago, I erroneously thought Mark Gander had since he was the person who personally showed me the system when it was brand new. He seemed quite proud of it at the time.

Greg Timbers did the L96, L112, L150A series. The L96/L112/L150A network is a less expensive version of the 4313B network and is used in all three systems. It is, in a word, outstanding.

Thanks for all the info. I have a pair in a secondary tube based system and they always amaze me relative to their size. Kind of a mini 4430.

Last summer, I sold my L112's to make room for a pair of L220's I had just re-furbed. I have been kicking myself ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post

Greg Timbers did the L96, L112, L150A series.
    I have a pair of each of these. The L112 is my choice for lower volume listening in smallish rooms, gotta love that thump. L96 is my choice for high volume and the L150A is useless except in a large room - at any volume. But I love them all. They (all 6) make a terrific surround system.

Quote Originally Posted by Belarathon View Post
    Last summer, I sold my L112's to make room for a pair of L220's I had just re-furbed. I have been kicking myself ever since.
    Jajajaja I had both, first the L-112 and later the L-220, the L-220 was very colored, the L-112 more natural sound, the only weakness is a bit hard in the upper midrange near 2.5khz, but kisten to this: NO OTHER SPEAKER CAN SOUND SO LOUD 300 WATTS WITH THIS VERY NATURAL SOUND

If you can hear it with a Crest Audio CA-12 you will hear it very loud with a bass so controlled that you will get in love with them, the CA-12 have very high damping factor putting this speaker to deliver a bass so amazing that can shake your walls, and besides this is a proffesional amplifier it sounds very good, much better than a lot of audiophile amps, believe me I repair all amps pro and audiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenwatt View Post
    Jajajaja I had both, first the L-112 and later the L-220, the L-220 was very colored, the L-112 more natural sound, the only weakness is a bit hard in the upper midrange near 2.5khz, but kisten to this: NO OTHER SPEAKER CAN SOUND SO LOUD 300 WATTS WITH THIS VERY NATURAL SOUND

If you can hear it with a Crest Audio CA-12 you will hear it very loud with a bass so controlled that you will get in love with them, the CA-12 have very high damping factor putting this speaker to deliver a bass so amazing that can shake your walls, and besides this is a proffesional amplifier it sounds very good, much better than a lot of audiophile amps, believe me I repair all amps pro and audiophile.
    Welcome to you on your first post (even if it is in response to a three-year-old thread)!

You'll find many of us here appreciate the L112 and many more run them with Crown or other "pro" amps. I've owned my L112s for almost 35-years. Never noticed any harshness across its spectrum.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

L112 = very very good speaker, but it sounds like a "thick" woman looks on the bottom end, nice to look at in certain clothes for a little while at first but won't hold up long over time
    Eventually, things get flabby
    L96 = a very great speaker, leaves the L112 in the dust as far as the bottom end is concerned long haul with a 10" that's hard to beat as for realism and easier to set up as well
    An hourglass 10 that never makes you say enough, no matter what you throw at it!
    Give me the L96 or the 4313B any day

10" Pro Console Monitors

Was there a pro version of the L96 which used an 044?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Smith Jr View Post
    Was there a pro version of the L96 which used an 044?
    Nope. The 4410 is the closest, functionally, but came later.
    The 4411 used the 044.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Nope. The 4410 is the closest, functionally, but came later.
    The 4411 used the 044.
    Thank you
    That is what I thought also but there is no 1981 pro catalog in the library

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Smith Jr View Post
    L112 = very very good speaker, but it sounds like a "thick" woman looks on the bottom end, nice to look at in certain clothes for a little while at first but won't hold up long over time
    Eventually, things get flabby
    L96 = a very great speaker, leaves the L112 in the dust as far as the bottom end is concerned long haul with a 10" that's hard to beat as for realism and easier to set up as well
    An hourglass 10 that never makes you say enough, no matter what you throw at it!
    Give me the L96 or the 4313B any day
    I own both the L112 and the L96 (and 4412A, etc) and I don't find the same thing Wagner (sorry: Joe) here describes. I truly love the L96 but the only time the L112 disappoints is when it's used on the floor or with other boundary reinforcement surfaces. Get them up just a little, or tilt them back, and they'll go lower and take more power than the L96. Not that either needs to play as loud as 300-watts will take them. They're both very efficient, weigh almost the same, and are nearly the same size. Perhaps a greater difference between the two would have been apparent had the L112 come in a larger box but, even as they are, no way the L112 takes a back-seat to the L96.

Thread Information