Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL D110-F dustcaps

Roy Boltz

JBL D110-F dustcaps

I recently bought a Fender solid state amp dated from 1970, one of the zodiak series "Taurus" 2x10 combos.
    It has a pair of JBL D110-F speakers, but the dustcaps are an orange or copper color aluminum.
    Does anyone know if they could be factory with these dustcaps, or are they aftermarket?
    Any help will be apreciated!

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Boltz View Post
    I recently bought a Fender solid state amp dated from 1970, one of the zodiak series "Taurus" 2x10 combos.
    It has a pair of JBL D110-F speakers, but the dustcaps are an orange or copper color aluminum.
    Does anyone know if they could be factory with these dustcaps, or are they aftermarket?

Roy
    Could be discolored from age and smoky nightclubs...or a smoky house.

Pics would help, but it's not unusual to see yellowed caps.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Roy Boltz
    Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Could be discolored from age and smoky nightclubs...or a smoky house.

Pics would help, but it's not unusual to see yellowed caps.
    Well,,,these are definately an orange copper color, they almost look like they are anodized this color as the speakers are clean & mint.
    I don't now how I can post pics as I switched servers recently & have yet to figure out how to store photos on my web space.
    I could send an email to you if you would be interested in seeing them.

Roy

Just scroll down to "additional options" below your reply message and click on Attach Files "manage attachments" and you can upload photos from your computer to this site. It's pretty self explanatory and doesn't require you to have another photo hosting site. Or you can get a free photo-hosting account at any number of sites such as Photobucket.com and link to your account which will display images in your LH posts as long as their URL stays the same.

Take a look.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It looks like it's been alodine treated.

Roy Boltz
    Thanks John for posting that for me!

Alodine treated? what is that Don?

Roy Boltz

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Just scroll down to "additional options" below your reply message and click on Attach Files "manage attachments" and you can upload photos from your computer to this site. It's pretty self explanatory and doesn't require you to have another photo hosting site. Or you can get a free photo-hosting account at any number of sites such as Photobucket.com and link to your account which will display images in your LH posts as long as their URL stays the same.
    Thanks alot!!!,,I didn't know you could do this here,,,,that's great!

We used to do it at work, it improves the corrosion resistance of aluminum. Do some googling.

RIP 2009
    I seem to remember way back when and seeing those orange domes peeking through a certain series of Fender grilles.

John

Roy Boltz
    Thanks for the input! I was hoping someone would have seen these before,,,good chance they are indeed original I would think.

RIP 2009
    My memory *might* not be perfect. There's also a chance it may have been done after the fact, looking at the slight discoloration of the cone, like something was absorbed/wicked off...

John

Roy Boltz
    Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    My memory *might* not be perfect. There's also a chance it may have been done after the fact, looking at the slight discoloration of the cone, like something was absorbed/wicked off...

John
    Indeed, you could be right, personally I just don't think they have been reconed though.

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post

John
    I have seen that discoloration on many 110,s and they did not have the orange dust caps.

Fender JBL Copper Dustcaps

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Boltz View Post
    I have a 1970 Fender Libra amp and it has four factory-original JBL D-120F 12-inch speakers. All of them have the copper-colored dust cap.

Thread Information