There isn't a person here giving advice or opinions who hasn't had to modify or delete a post after putting something in writing. There isn't a person here who hasn't been PMed once or twice about the contents of a post, whether by a moderator or another member. There are probably very few who haven't had a post disappear as a moderator cleaned up a thread, locked it, or deleted it. Probably most of us also have posts locked in time that we'd wish to remove now if we could.

I'm sure I've seen each moderator implode or explode at least once under the double stress of being both a moderator and human at the same time. Heck, a few of us have been threatened with suspension or even been suspended.

It's normal to make mistakes, it's normal to exercise bad judgment, and it's normal to cross over the line in the quest for attention. That's why we need moderators, to moderate the foolishness and indiscretions that are part of human nature. Honest to God, I don't know why either the fact that people aren't perfect or the fact that communities need policing are surprising to anyone (or the fact that police aren't perfect and will make mistakes, too).

Rolf asked legitimate questions. He offered some mild suggestions. He assured everyone his intent was friendly. Not everything he got in return was in the same spirit.

We've been down this road a few times. Here's a recent one:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=8933

The focus of this discussion is wrong if we're thinking of calling posters out, calling them names, asking them to leave, or suggesting they perish. It's also wrong if we're thinking of moderators as dictators, hypocrites, and two-faced. Neither of those is the problem; they are symptoms.

This place, this wonderful place, has grown far beyond expectations, or even comfort for some. It's never going to get back to what it was, even if there were a purge of the great unwashed and only the saints got to stay.

So, let's face facts. The current moderators have too much to watch over, too many things to check, too many holes in the dike that need fingers occasionally. The key to stopping this stuff is to get to it early, deal with it clearly, and move on quickly.

I'm convinced that more moderators are needed to reduce the workload. We increased them some time ago, and we need to do it again. If this results in better coverage and quicker action, then many of these difficulties will be reduced.

Not perfect, not a Utopia, just better...