Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: almost full range enclosure for guitar build advice E140/E110/2213

Before building an analog filter, use a digital filter to simulate it. DBX driverack are cheap enough. When you like what you get from the digital filter you can have someone build the analog filter for you.

I saw your thread on the SRX. Very good work. there are lots of those things about. There's even one (can't remember the number) with 2 x 2226 and a tweeter already fitted
    Thanks. The problem with the factory cabs is that they are way too small. The 200 litre cabinet is perfect for one 2226, but sticking two in there is one too many.

The bass I get from the rebuilt SRX is crazy. It is a MLTL based on a -6 dB extended shelf vented design. My clubbing nephiews love them. Very good for a small club. They reach 30 Hz. Tuning higher would give crazy SPL.

stuffing/wadding Q

I have another noob question:

If against More10s advice i do go ahead with this or a related scheme, should I line the main compartment housing the bass speaker? Am I right in thinking it's advised not to stuff it, but i may wish to line it with wadding? I could also leave it bare.

The dogbox housing the 10": should that be lined or stuffed?

thanks

E110 and 2226H acquired

I now have a NOS E110 (thanks Macaroonie) and mint 2226H. I will pick up the cabinet on Monday and we'll see where we go from there.

If the cab doesn't work i'll find or build one that does. Now to find some Sunn-style sparkly silver grill cloth.

I also need to consider crossovers.

Cheers . Good job with the 2226

Fender style cloth

http://www.solsound.com/products.php...=Grill&subsub=

Doubt you'll get Sunn weave in the UK.

Wot's your internal dimensions , i'll model the driver dim's against that see if it fits.

I will pick up the cabinet on Monday and we'll see where we go from there.

If the cab doesn't work i'll find or build one that does.
    Same or new cab?

The dogbox housing the 10": should that be lined or stuffed?
    It is going to be basically the same since the box will be small and the magnet is quite big.

No stuffing behind the magnet. There should be at least a couple of inches from the magnet to the back wall. You will need this volume for ventilation of the voice coil through the vent on the back of the magnet.

Quote Originally Posted by more10 View Post
    Same or new cab?
    same for the time being.

I am not building a neutral hifi speaker, i’m building something that will sound big and awesome in performance and be fun to play through, only that. i'll sell on the cab if it fails at that task.

Holy Necro-thread batman!

Many apologies for waking the dead, but several years on I have finally started this project.

I've initially got the speakers (E110 and 2226H) mounted in separate cabs experimenting with crossover frequencies using a DBX 223XL I happened to have around.

It's not entirely accurate since the 15" cab is ported (see image) but I would say more10 is right and the cut off is much better lower down, round about 100 to 150hz.

This causes me problems because a passive crossover won't work and biamping is a pain for a gigging musician.

I'll have to look at either a) installing a sub amplifier with built in crossover/hi pass or b) choosing a different driver with better mids. Perhaps and E145 or E140? Plenty of the latter about.

Name:  JBL cabs.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  149.4 KB

Bring out your dead...

Quote Originally Posted by parker_knoll View Post
    I'll have to look at either a) installing a sub amplifier with built in crossover/hi pass or b) choosing a different driver with better mids. Perhaps and E145 or E140? Plenty of the latter about.
    How loud do you play? Many decades ago I used a pair of K130s in a high output home stereo system and found the bass was actually pretty good with a bit of shelving EQ below ~150Hz. 3-6dB of boost at 50Hz worked quite well, but this will obviously reduce your max output capability.

An E140 may be better, but I liked the K130 sound better... the E145 is great, but is very rolled off on the bottom so not a likely candidate for your application.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    How loud do you play? Many decades ago I used a pair of K130s in a high output home stereo system and found the bass was actually pretty good with a bit of shelving EQ below ~150Hz. 3-6dB of boost at 50Hz worked quite well, but this will obviously reduce your max output capability.

An E140 may be better, but I liked the K130 sound better... the E145 is great, but is very rolled off on the bottom so not a likely candidate for your application.

Widget
    Hi Widget

I was playing small rooms, 50 people or so. After a gap of a few years I expect they'll be even smaller

I actually have an E130 right here but it took me a long time to find one in the UK and was quite expensive so I'd be hesitant to use it for bass use. It's also way more efficient than the E110 (105db vs 98db) so likely to completely overpower it.

I'll look some other non-JBL options. Plenty out there. That said the 2226 is fantastic at what it does well - low frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by parker_knoll View Post
    It's also way more efficient than the E110 (105db vs 98db) so likely to completely overpower it.
    D’oh!

Of course… I obviously wasn’t thinking it through.

Widget

I'll look some other non-JBL options. Plenty out there.
    In case you come across some older British Fane Acoustics or McKenzie Acoustics i still have some infos about these drivers. A lot of it was deleted from the Web but i kept my paper documentations.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    In case you come across some older British Fane Acoustics or McKenzie Acoustics i still have some infos about these drivers. A lot of it was deleted from the Web but i kept my paper documentations.

Richard
    Thanks Richard

I'm now testing with a passive crossover, the Eminence PBX2 500 crossing at 500Hz. it sounds fine except I'm getting crackling at higher volume levels.

Thread Information