Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: frankensteins monitors

Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post
    ok, so i connected these new horns i got recently, dont know if i told you...

i didnt set anything yet, like groupdelay or even EQ, i just took the driver from the old horn and hooked it to the new one. and it sounds so good.
    IT SOUNDS SO GOOD!

this is a neat forum, i dont dare to use bad language here, but SH!!!!!!!!T is this horn amazing!!!

yours, mikey
    Okay Mikey - sounds cool, but - you gotta do an A-B picture, one in light, then leave the camera in the same place and take the same picture in the DARK!

We can't hear your system so we need to see the light and the DARK!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Smile

heather

i will try to get some daylight in.
    unfortunatly, this is the time of the year with the shortest of shortest days, only nights and stuff. and then even the nights are mostly cloudy...
    but i promise you the most wonderful pictures as soon as i have proper lighting (maybe lightning?).

and in the meantime i throw a party for all the readers of our beloved forum:
    _
    . . .
    _

cheers,
    mikey

Hey, major kudos on building your own cab's, and experimenting! Have fun!
    Frederick

i didnt set anything yet, like groupdelay or even EQ, i just took the driver from the old horn and hooked it to the new one. and it sounds so good.
    IT SOUNDS SO GOOD!
    It's very easy to equalize them. Then they sound even better! Most of it could be due to the smoother directivity. The "optimized aperture"-devices need some care so far. I moved recently, left the old woofer cabinets behind and have to reinstall that bat again. We'll celebrate the new house soon ...

so long

edit: picture deleted, it could bother some people for the uglyness of my house - I appologize

hey heather!
    its all foggy and grey, anyway, horn today:

cheers,
    mikey

Obsolete
    And some people have problems with the way the Array Series looks?

im not "some people"

...and i kinda like the look of the ol' arrays...very much!
    cheers!

Hi, Fred!

im not "some people"

...and i kinda like the look of the ol' arrays...very much!
    cheers!
    Don't let anybody bring you down. These dinos do a terrific job. To integrate them within a condo may become a challenge, though. Just for me being a usefull part of mankind, You may consider to place the super tweeter well within the belly of Your new pet. As some fiddling with this

=> http://www.randteam.de/AxiDriver/Index.html

shows it won't harm the directivity in any respect. AxiDriver can be used as a demo (courtesy of famous Joerg Panzer, inventor of the Acoustic Abacus).

Useful tool, if You like to estimate whether some alteration to Your very stereo system would be of minor or major concern. It will provide You with a new feeling for rational proportions

Auf Wiederhoeren

thanks a bunch!!

bis gleich

what does it do? why does it do it?? i didnt expect a change like this in the sound! my, its everywhere! the sound is all around, and so clear, and so crisp.
    Horns offer the ultimate in driver loading. The driver is coupled to the air effectively. The throat allows the sound wave to expand at a controlled rate that is shaped by the opening.

Too bad they have to be so big. Large horn speakers for bass can be awe inspiring as well, but since Klipsch is somewhat of a bad word around here we won't get into that.

As a former Klipsch owner I can attest to the power of the horn. I just worked on a project with BigYank using the 2246H/2380A combination and it startles you how efficient and clear they are.
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

I got a pair too now

Hi Mikey
    Saw your setup, looks great. But remember that the 2445 on 2360a roll off steep in the HF when you move up or down vertically only.
    That means if you have them in ear height (horisontally with your head) there really isn't much of a roll of, and you don't need to eq them as much. According to JBL measurements that is. So you should try to mount them on top of your sub cabinets.

I got my pair finally and can't wait to hear them. I still haven't been able to buy the single 2360a from Riza, and I would very much like you to speak to her for me, please....

So far I have 2360a, 2445 and double 2225J that I am going to put in a pair of old Olympus cabinets underneath the 2360a. I just need to make new baffles for the cabinets. I will post pictures too.
    Got the JBL 3115a x-overs too and will compare them to the S3100 x-overs I have built.
    For some reason my 2360a horns are different. One is blank and thick and one in matt finish and thinner???? Perhaps just different production runs.
    Vern

hey verner!
    very interesting you saying that i should mount the horns atop of the bassboxes WHILE i mount them on the bassboxes --must have the same thought at the same time!!

but i got problems: the magic has gone. i put the horns on the boxes as the are lying on their sides, and i dont think this did any bad -but i was rewiring the whole rig and i guess something went wrong. some bad phasing!
    this is frustrating.
    re-, off- and around-wiring is NO fun at all.

cheers,
    -sigh-
    mikey

Hi, Mikey,

I was wondering if you have given thought to going back to the 2380A', with the 2445's? What was it about them that you didn't like? For your situation, and living space, I would think that this combo would perform just as well as the new horn setup, and be much easier to integrate into your listening environment. I look forward to reading your thoughts. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. What sort of SPL's are you usually hitting during your listening? Any idea? Bet it loud, for sure!
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

hello doc!

i had the absolutely same thought when i decided to get me the big horns -there wont be much of a difference in the sound except for a little lower XO to the woofer (just for the hell of it i went off and got them).
    but its much of a difference in imaging and, yes, naturality. when the itsy bitsy 238o was razorsharp and very very accurate, the big one is just the same BUT at the same time very tender. the image produced says exactly this:
    "its the real deal. never mind, youre welcome"

now two things:

1. i dont know why it is like that yet, because i didnt find the time to think me through all of this. my first guess is that the room gets more filled out and therefor the reflections of the HF are more uniform.

2. i dont believe in the theory that a speaker has to be small if the room is small, IF the midfrequ. is produced by a small enough formation (i love coax). further i dont even believe in the theory that the speaker itself has to be smaller than the room. why should it? just give me some horns and i will find a place to live around them.
    this stuff is all about compromises

------------

on wednesday hopefully my technician/magician will drop by to help me get some things right and properly measured, he will take the volume too if we have time. in the end i dont think that i top 9o dB average at all -blame the room again.
    for example, there is a setup (its machine's mother) in a town near vienna with 18"+12"+10"+2"comp(into 238o)+tweeter, 5kW penta-amped and built into a highly absorbing room in the basemant of a house built on a hill (uhm..) -it sounds brilliant, nearly like an open-area setup. listening to that monster is like riding a rocket. with good dynamic input ( michael jackson/bruce swedien) i hit the maximum volume on the pre within seconds. i would ruin my hearing for good if it wouldnt stop.
    what did i want to say...oh yeah, the room. my own room keeps me from listening very loud, when it starts to "sing with the music" -but someday i will shut it up for good.
    for now, shutting up myself will be enough.

photo taken yesterday (by a guest):

cheers,
    mikey

Hello Demon

How close are you to that rig?? I listen in pretty tight 7-8 ft figure 2 1/2 meters.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thread Information