Thread: Requesting help - Zobel for 2.5 way? (Using 20mH superQ) Measuring Inductance

Requesting help - Zobel for 2.5 way? (Using 20mH superQ) Measuring Inductance

Inspired by this thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...Altec-9844-8B/

I want to try the 2.5 way setup on my Altec Malibu's [806a(16ohm) CD, 811 Horn, 2x 414Z(16ohm each in parallel=8ohm) 12" woofers per enclosure, N-800F crossover].

1. With a 2.5 way system where there is a main woofer and "helper woofer" in parallel, with a 20mH inductor in series with the second woofer, for calculating Zobel values, assuming if each woofer was 2mH each, would I say my total inductance was 1mh, ignoring the 20mh inductor?

2. Since there is not a published inductance for my woofer (that I could find for Altec 414z) is it ok to use the "standard" measurement at 1khz (like with a B&K 875B), considering my crossover point is 800hz and operating range much lower?

3. When measuring woofer inductance at 1khz or any other frequency, is it necessary to keep the cone stationary? I have read that the test should be done with the cone glued or in some kind of jig to keep it from moving.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you.

2.5's don't necessarily need any more circuitry than the 20mH coil.

Adding impedance correction simply means one will get a true 6db slope on the .5 woofer.

The problem is; does one want less or more than a .5 ? One can only tell by ( Simming or ) building it and then trying out different circuit arrangements.

Don't bother trying to calculate a Zobel, just create one within XSim ( watching the impedance trace ) while finagling the RC values to get the flattest impedance curve.

Thanks Earl! Maybe you can tell that I'm trying to build on existing knowledge without going quite that far .

In the 9844-8B thread the Zobel was discussed but not implemented. Ignoring the 2.5 way for now, Zilch, quoting you, for parallel 16ohm woofers suggested 18 uF and 7.5 Ohms for starters. I thought this was to help the 414z/N-800F combo behave correctly for the hf rolloff.

Now, considering the 2.5 setup, I am thinking those values will change because of the 20mH coil added. Yes? No? If that is no longer a simple math question, maybe I should try this?

1. Calculate (or sim) Zobel for a single 414z and connect this as the "main" woofer, through Zobel, to the N-800F outputs
    2. Connect the "helper" woofer with 20mH in-series coil, directly to the same terminals as the N-800F input

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TW14MB View Post
    Thanks Earl! Maybe you can tell that I'm trying to build on existing knowledge without going quite that far .

In the 9844-8B thread the Zobel was discussed but not implemented. Ignoring the 2.5 way for now, Zilch, quoting you, for parallel 16ohm woofers suggested 18 uF and 7.5 Ohms for starters. I thought this was to help the 414z/N-800F combo behave correctly for the hf rolloff.

Now, considering the 2.5 setup, I am thinking those values will change because of the 20mH coil added. Yes? No? If that is no longer a simple math question, maybe I should try this?

1. Calculate (or sim) Zobel for a single 414z and connect this as the "main" woofer, through Zobel, to the N-800F outputs
    2. Connect the "helper" woofer with 20mH in-series coil, directly to the same terminals as the N-800F input

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    A Zobel of 15R + 18uF will work just fine for one individual ".5" 414z .

SkywayRider didn't use a Zobel so why do you think you need one.

What do you hope to achieve by adding one?

The presence of a Zobel will not produce more bass .

Skywave never retuned his boxes ( as far as I remember ) which might have extended the response below 50hz.

Hi Earl,

Maybe the long version will help for background.

I have tube amps. MC30's and a few other EL34 and El84 based amps, with the smallest being a strange 6AV6 6AR5 5WPC amp. I thought it would be "fun" to try some high efficiency speakers.

I bought Altec Malibu's. Unhappy with the hf/mid sound I did some research. Inspired by the 9844-B thread and other information I set up a testing configuration with 4 channels solid state and an active crossover (Behringer CX3400). Using the "CD Horn" compensation button, I was able to acheive a sound that I like. Clean highs/mids. This gave me some confidence that with modifications I could improve the sound to my taste.

The goal is to get back to passive crossover. I have the specs to build a 30904 for 16ohms HF, and also wanted to use the LF Zobel as I wanted to see if that would help the mid response and make the load a little more predictable for the tubes. I was never intending to make a flat, or even a good, speaker out of the Malibu. Simply to add a few dollars worth of components in the form of a 30904 and see how it sounds.

After seeing the graphs on the 2.5 system I want to try that as well. I haven't bought the coils yet. I am assuming that adding the 20mH coil ruins my plans (or at least changes the values) for using the simple 30904 LF Zobel.

When you say "A Zobel of 15R + 18uF will work just fine for one separate ".5" 414z." do you mean:

1. Calculate (or sim) Zobel for a single 414z and connect this as the "main" woofer, through Zobel, to the N-800F outputs.
    2. Connect the "helper" woofer with 20mH in-series coil, to the same terminals as the N-800F input, with its own 15R + 18uf Zobel.

I would rather have one Zobel for both woofers in parallel, but again I am stuck because I don't understand how the additional 20mH coil affects the Zobel values.

Thanks!

A classic Zobel put across your 2 woofers will adjust the mid-range response of the lowpass ( from the N800F ).

Woofers:

If that's a goal then put the standard ( for that era ) Altec Zobel consisting of a 18uF in series with a 7.5R resistor ( wired across the load wires leading to the paralleled woofers ).

Add a 20mH coil to one of your 414z woofers immediately before the woofer ( ie; after the low-pass portion of the N800F and after the Zobel ).

Adding a single Zobel working on both woofers will adjust the mids downwards ( something like this > taken from MrT's experience );

TO:

That would help breakup a buildup of mids ( in the crossover region > if your speakers are suffering from that malaise ):
    - as seen here in Skywave Riders measurement ( of his 9844 ) using the M19 crossover .
    Name:  9844 Z19N 902 Lo_hi_full.png
Views: 405
Size:  53.8 KB

You would wire up the lowpass section like the following pic;

Name:  N800F_2.5_low-pass_with Zobel_.PNG
Views: 500
Size:  9.2 KB

Horn Circuit:

Build a 16 ohm version of the 30923 filter ( ie; the mid-range padding circuit ) and install it into the horn circuit ( after the HP's cap & coil ).

I'll be surprised if after all the above you aren't still wanting more UHF >> & if it pans out that way, buy a new pair of GPA 902-8a's and swap them in for those anemic 806's .

PS; TUBE AMP LOADS:

As far as dealing with creating an impedance equalizer ( to wire across the output terminals of your tube amp ) that's a completely different animal.

It's a series LCR circuit ( wired across the amp outputs ) that's "tuned" to the worst offending impedance peak created by the passive network ( usually in the crossover area ).

IOW, once everything else is happily accomplished from executing the above mods, then you can capture an impedance trace from one Malibu ( so that a special LCR circuit can be created to level out the load impedance ).

The effect of an LCR impedance EQ on the whole load ( that the amplifier sees ) will be something like the following ( designed to take out the large impedance peak around the crossover area of the N800F ).

Impedance is changed from Grey to Green;

Name:  Impedance Equalizer effect on N800F.PNG
Views: 420
Size:  31.8 KB

Thanks Earl, this is definitive information for the ages. I will start a new Malibu thread to report back with results.

Thread Information