Thread: Painting 2344 horns, suggestions, cautions ?

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Casey View Post
    After decades of touching up speakers used in event production I can recommend Krylon satin black. Actual flat black looks pretty terrible.
    The paint you are probably referring to was a lacquer based Krylon paint called Semi-Flat and had the part number 1613. It gave a superior finish to any other rattle can paint I have tried, and I have tried many. Unfortunately about 10 years ago Krylon had to reformulate their 1613 Semi Flat Black (and other colors) and the new version is not the same.

The good news is that the good stuff is still available as an industrial coating. I buy mine through Grainger, but it is available through many distributors.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Painting 2344 horns, suggestions, cautions ?

I've been listening to a pair of JBL 4828 speakers as my living room hifi for years but the grey and black stage monitor motif is getting old among the furniture. I'd like to remove the horns and paint them a more interesting color but I want to get a furniture grade finish. I had originally thought to just use some Krylon rattle cans as I've always had good luck with Krylon more so than Rustoleum, those being the most available spray paints in my area. The horns are in mint cosmetic condition, the monitors were never used as stage monitors so I don't need to sand or buff out any dings or scratches and they already have a dull finish that seems ready to accept paint. Does anyone have any suggestions before I just pull the horns and drivers and start spraying paint?

That was unexpected. I copied an old post and pasted it to this thread. Since it predates your post, it popped in ahead of yours.

In any event, if you want a satin black finish, I recommend the Krylon industrial lacquer mentioned above. If you want to use another color, look at SEM automotive spray cans… expensive but they work well.

Widget

They're satin black now, the stock color ( not the glossy black I see on some 4430s ) and I want to do some sort of saturated blue or red. I'll see what SEM has.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    In any event, if you want a satin black finish, I recommend the Krylon industrial lacquer mentioned above. If you want to use another color, look at SEM automotive spray cans… expensive but they work well.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Casey View Post
    They're satin black now, the stock color ( not the glossy black I see on some 4430s ) and I want to do some sort of saturated blue or red. I'll see what SEM has.
    Krylon Color Maxx...paint+primer...in a spray can works pretty nice. Lots of colors to choose from, as well.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

cone paint

Colleagues, as long as we are talking paint, I have a question or two;

I have some speakers that could really use a refresh, Le10's Altec 406's and a couple of others. I don't like the shiny stuff and I found rustoleum flat paint ugly. Does any one know what I should use for paper cones?
    Would the Krylon work?
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Frame or cone?

I would think a dye would be preferred for darkening up a paper cone (although it might not cover up problem areas).
    Google-ing "speaker cone dye" turned up quite a few options. Some dyes can look a bit more purple than black, particularly when well lit, so worth checking/testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kreamer View Post

I have some speakers that could really use a refresh, Le10's Altec 406's and a couple of others. I don't like the shiny stuff and I found rustoleum flat paint ugly. Does any one know what I should use for paper cones?
    Would the Krylon work?
    Leather dye diluted with acetone. Paint it on with a paint brush, rotating the speaker face up on a lazy susan.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

I've used Krylon semi flat black for decades to touch up live audio gear and it's the only spray can paint I've found worth the buy but still not appropriate for paper speaker cones. Spray paint sits on the cone surface, you need a dye that soaks into the paper. Either way you'll change the cone characteristics slightly. Cosmetics are always a trade off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kreamer View Post

Would the Krylon work?

Thread Information