Thread: JBL 4425 Bi-Radial Horn Repair?

JBL 4425 Bi-Radial Horn Repair?

Hey all,

New member and first time poster. Have had a pair of L100s as my main living room speakers for the last 3 years and have been quite happy with them for daily use. But I've also wanted to try something different so have put a down payment on a pair of 4425s which I'll be picking up this week. The cabinets have the usual minor scuffs and scratches but the horns also have a couple small nicks in them that I would like to repair if possible. Am curious if anybody here has experience in this and would care to share their expertise? Attached pics are from the Craigslist ad. Will add my own when I pick up the speakers. Thanks in advance!

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 1.39.47 PM.png
Views: 754
Size:  129.8 KBName:  Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 1.39.59 PM.png
Views: 734
Size:  141.0 KBName:  Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 1.40.14 PM.png
Views: 735
Size:  108.0 KBName:  Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 1.40.25 PM.png
Views: 685
Size:  134.2 KBName:  Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 1.40.34 PM.png
Views: 724
Size:  133.5 KB

Hi, and congrats to your 4425's!

I'd treat these dents with filler first, grind with abrasive paper, going from coarse to fine grains, and finally spray new laquer on the biradials.

Best regards!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    Hi, and congrats to your 4425's!

I'd treat these dents with filler first, grind with abrasive paper, going from coarse to fine grains, and finally spray new laquer on the biradials.

Best regards!
    Thank you. I can't wait to pick these up!

Is there any particular filler you would recommend for this task? This is my first crack at bringing old speakers back to life.

Thanks again!

Hi
    Is the finish of the horns in the original matte or glossy?

Quote Originally Posted by hoschibill View Post
    Hi
    Is the finish of the horns in the original matte or glossy?
    The seller's place was quite dark but I believe they were matte.

Quote Originally Posted by Spackler View Post
    The seller's place was quite dark but I believe they were matte.
    Are you going to spray paint them after the repair?

Hi,

I'd use the same 2K, epoxy based filler that is common in automotive repair shops. And yes, your horns need to be sprayed in matte black after successfully filling and sanding the dents. There is matte black paint in rattle cans available, isn't it?

Best regards!

Quote Originally Posted by bedrock602 View Post
    Are you going to spray paint them after the repair?
    Hi, yes, that's the plan. I think there are just a couple nicks but definitely want to smooth them out and paint them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    Hi,

I'd use the same 2K, epoxy based filler that is common in automotive repair shops. And yes, your horns need to be sprayed in matte black after successfully filling and sanding the dents. There is matte black paint in rattle cans available, isn't it?

Best regards!
    Ok, great. Thank you. I'll post photos as it all progresses. And yes, we can get matte black spray paint in general paint or hardware stores here in Vancouver.

After decades of touching up speakers used in event production I can recommend Krylon satin black. Actual flat black looks pretty terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Spackler View Post
    Hi, yes, that's the plan. I think there are just a couple nicks but definitely want to smooth them out and paint them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Casey View Post
    After decades of touching up speakers used in event production I can recommend Krylon satin black. Actual flat black looks pretty terrible.
    Thank you, Riley. I appreciate that. This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to find here. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Casey View Post
    The paint you are probably referring to was a lacquer based Krylon paint called Semi-Flat and had the part number 1613. It gave a superior finish to any other rattle can paint I have tried, and I have tried many. Unfortunately about 10 years ago Krylon had to reformulate their 1613 Semi Flat Black (and other colors) and the new version is not the same.

The good news is that the good stuff is still available as an industrial coating. I buy mine through Grainger, but it is available through many distributors.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    The paint you are probably referring to was a lacquer based Krylon paint called Semi-Flat and had the part number 1613. It gave a superior finish to any other rattle can paint I have tried, and I have tried many. Unfortunately about 10 years ago Krylon had to reformulate their 1613 Semi Flat Black (and other colors) and the new version is not the same.

The good news is that the good stuff is still available as an industrial coating. I buy mine through Grainger, but it is available through many distributors.

Widget

Thanks for the tip! Will track some down. Got the speakers yesterday! Will post some pics.

This paint like all acrylic lacquers drys very fast so you need to work quickly. Partially overlap each pass as you paint. I suggest practicing on something else first and plan on painting all of the visible horn surfaces. You’ll be amazed at how good the results are if you prep the surface properly and carefully lay down the paint.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    This paint like all acrylic lacquers drys very fast so you need to work quickly. Partially overlap each pass as you paint. I suggest practicing on something else first and plan on painting all of the visible horn surfaces. You’ll be amazed at how good the results are if you prep the surface properly and carefully lay down the paint.

Widget
    Noted. Thanks for the tips and advice. I'll definitely practice on something else first. Am hoping to start on them in the next couple weeks.

So the seller kindly delivered the speakers the other day and they are in much better shape than I'd anticipated. Pretty minor deficiencies in all; a plant ring on top of one, minor chips in the black paint, a couple small knicks in the horns and one cabinet corner will need to be slightly filled and rebuilt. Turns out the woofers, drivers, binding posts, and crossovers were all redone at Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic a few years back.

I'd been a bit nervous about my purchase since i'd read on some forums that some people really don't like the sound of these. Definitely different from the older 43 series monitors I've heard or even my L100s for that matter. More of a newer, more modern sound if that makes sense but super transparent and the imaging is stunning. I've listened to everything from classic country, to jazz and classical, and rock to techno and they seem to be up to whatever I've fed into them. Was thinking I would sell them but now they're in the living room, I'm not so sure.

Thread Information