Thread: Workfile: Jbl L220 components -le14a +LE15h inside a homebuilt L300 extened cabinet

Workfile: Jbl L220 components -le14a +LE15h inside a homebuilt L300 extened cabinet

Hello Everyone.

I was just going to buy a pair of nos 2290 ( pr15c ) to put in my pioneer s1010 speakers that are missing the unobtanium 14" passives....

But.......
    Just after i just bought them i skimmed through the sellers for sale list again and realised that he also had some intresting things in that list...
    and after talking with him again on the phone
    he even had more things for sale almost

a complete pair of l220 sans cabinet, one more pair of passives, l94 lenses, l220 networks, le5-9 with boxes, cat eyes 076s) with the exception of not having the le14a but a pair of le15h instead, so of course i had to buy all that too

In the jbl sphere there are several dream speakers i would love to own, now i kinda own a pair of l220 but of course need a pair of cabinets, obviously the things wouldnt fit that good in a pair of l220 cabinet because of the 15" le15h... beside finding an empty pair of l220 cabinets in sweden is probably not that easy anyways...
    also loving the looks on the l200 l300 and olympus....
    I wasbrowsing around the net for good plans and the only good plans i found was on ebay that Eric Amador sells for the l300,
    and obviously a l300 cabinet as is wouldnt work that good... but what if i widened it to get more like olympus size, or made it taller..... both ways could work...
    So bought the plans from Eric. and they are really detailed.... so not sure right now which path to go tall or wide l300 cabs... eitherway Erics plans will be the foundation for the cabinets.

never built a pair of speakers before, i got most of the build "for free" in the sence of already having all elements and network just need to make sure i get a perfect volume for the cases

They will of course be mirrored, thinking american walnut or knurled dark birch veneer on 19/25mm mdf ,
    with some dark green or brown cloth for the fronts probably with a cutout for the l94
    might even to the whole baffle in 5mm stainless ontop of the mdf.
    will also make it upgrade friendly so i easily can pop in a le85 incase i ever get the opertunity to upgrade to that

Any comment in this forth coming build will be appricated good or bad.

cheers Daemon

Hello Daemon and welcome to LH. As being new to the site there is info on many cabinets that you can make. It is located at the top of the page. Click on the library tag and look for cabinet construction it might have a design you like. Hope this helps and good luck with your build

Quote Originally Posted by jbl4ever View Post
    Hello Daemon and welcome to LH. As being new to the site there is info on many cabinets that you can make. It is located at the top of the page. Click on the library tag and look for cabinet construction it might have a design you like. Hope this helps and good luck with your build
    Thank you Jbl4ever, i will look there for some inspiration

Here is my pile of jbl parts in boxes and also some quick autocad work on the baffles with the Eric Amador plans as basis
    just to try to get an idea on what route i will go, either wide "l300" or tall "l300" cabinets,

with ofcourse the 076 on top, the l94 lenses below with le5-9 within, and le15h and last but not least pr15c.

been thinking of maybe getting a pair of le175 or le85 instead of the le5-9's, as i've seen some people talking about the le175 inside a l220, would prefer a le85 but priceswise a l175 would be more reachable right now, i could always upgrade later, i need to repair or replace one of the le5-9s most likley too as one is bad. so could just aswell go this route...

Name:  IMG_1219.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  161.2 KBName:  widevstall.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  41.1 KB

Thread Information