Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: CROWN PSL-2 (Straight Line Two)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post

They all sounded like good reasons at the time!

And it's not like some who are no longer here to defend themselves were not role models for me!
    Hey no need to make explanations / justifications for "normal" behavior!

I have sold 4 audio items in my life - two reel to reel decks and a pair of Epos 11 speakers (wish I kept those). And I did give away a pair of my first homemade speakers made in high school. Everything else I still have.

I will do an inventory ... The only thing more sobering is keeping track of all the $$ expended on this hobby ...

The wife can't complain much as most I bought before we were married!

Quote Originally Posted by mmc8180 View Post
    I will do an inventory ... The only thing more sobering is keeping track of all the $$ expended on this hobby ...
    The fact that you can create an inventory and can track what you spent is impressive. I have gone through so much gear, I have forgotten half of it and have no idea what I have spent... except at any point in time since my first car and through to today, my stereo gear has always cost me more than whatever car or cars I owned at the time.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    ... except at any point in time since my first car and through to today, my stereo gear has always cost me more than whatever car or cars I owned at the time.
    I can help you fix that!

Quite some time ago an Audi customer was trading his 5000 sedan on a new Audi and brought his folder of receipts with him. He told me he had added it all up and was shocked. I told him you were never, ever to do that on an Audi—or any car!—because you could die from the discovery.

Being the bottom-feeder that I was known for, I have a piece of masking tape on most components with the price and date when I bought them. I'm so cheap it's not even important to hide it from my wife. She is well aware of the deposit I pissed away on the 4345 Craig's List scam recently, too. I do try to tell her that when I finally shuffle off this mortal coil, the price listed is not what she should sell all of that crap for!!!!!!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    The fact that you can create an inventory and can track what you spent is impressive.
    I can inventory most of it because I still have it ... but I don't have the cost, if I did it would be sobering.

About 20 years ago I wanted to insure everything I had and I did do a detailed inventory with estimated replacement costs ... it scared me. I will never do that again ... so I went forward and have easily tripled that since ...

What you did is probably best - buy - sell - forget

I can help you fix that!

I told him you were never, ever to do that on an Audi—or any car!—because you could die from the discovery.
    Or motorcycle ... I am restoring one and have been keeping track of costs, could have bought 5 new ones by now if they were available. And that is just parts only, no work yet

Or motorcycle ... I am restoring one and have been keeping track of costs, could have bought 5 new ones by now if they were available. And that is just parts only, no work yet
    Since we're so far off-topic anyway, what are you working on?

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Since we're so far off-topic anyway, what are you working on?
    [/img]
    I knew that would bring you off topic (I noticed you are a beemer guy, bike and cars)... and that is a sweet restoration.

My current project is a 1990 GSXR 1100, will look stock but with a hot-rodded engine (hopefully after and before)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I knew that would bring you off topic (I noticed you are a beemer guy, bike and cars)... and that is a sweet restoration.

My current project is a 1990 GSXR 1100, will look stock but with a hot-rodded engine (hopefully after and before)
    Beautiful bike, but likely too fast for this old man. The BMW is a '78 R100RS Motorsport, one of 200 made for the world. Unrestored. Hope to be riding it this summer for all the 100th Anniversary of BMW Motorcycles events.

Beautiful bike, but likely too fast for this old man. The BMW is a '78 R100RS Motorsport, one of 200 made for the world. Unrestored. Hope to be riding it this summer for all the 100th Anniversary of BMW Motorcycles events.
    Wow unrestored! I personally would be afraid to ride an unrestored beautiful vintage bike ... but she will show very well.

I keep looking at what time and money I've spent on this bike and shake my head that I could have had a new BMW S 1000 RR...

Speed isn't the problem for an old man like me, its the seating position that can be a real pain

I finished this restoration a couple years ago 89 GSXR 1100
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A little less off topic

I did an amp count. I didn't mean to get into a measuring contest, and for me it's more of a red face as in, "what were you thinking?" But any way the total is 31 A TIE lol.

No integrated's, no receivers, no powered subs, nothing upstream or downstream of amplifiers. The last 10 of these are 6 channel amps:

SAE P10
    Six QSC-RMX2450
    QSC PLX 1502
    QSC PLX 2402
    QSC PLX 3002
    QSC PLX 3402
    Carver PT2400
    Carver PT1250
    Carver PM 2.0t
    Carver M1.0t
    Two Carver M1.5t
    Two Carver M4.0t
    Two ATI 1502
    Four ATI 1506
    Two Cinepro 4K6 SEIV Gold
    Cinepro 3K6 II
    Cinepro 2K6 III
    Two Rane MA6

I just finished (not me a restorer) a beautiful restoration of a Marantz 2230 receiver, my very first audio buy in college. Now looking for some high efficiency speakers for these. The two Carver M4.0t's are next slated for a total restoration.

I'm spending my kid's inheritance

I did an amp count. I didn't mean to get into a measuring contest, and for me it's more of a red face as in, "what were you thinking?" But any way the total is 31 A TIE lol.

No integrated's, no receivers, no powered subs, nothing upstream or downstream of amplifiers. The last 10 of these are 6 channel amps:
    I've have to say that the six-channel amps would be the tie-breaker!

I've got several more un-restored bikes though:

This one is from back when Esquire Magazine rented my bikes for a fashion shoot decades ago. Still have the bikes—but not the Sports Illustrated swim-suit model:

I don't know BMW's but the two black boxers appear to be 70's vintage? The beige single, that I'm guessing 60's, perhaps even late 50's? The front linked suspension was still around on other bikes during those years. All very sweet and look collector's grade. Do you take them to show's?

I'll sure the bikes aged slower than the models though

Since you asked:
    I don't know BMW's but the two black boxers appear to be 70's vintage? The beige single, that I'm guessing 60's, perhaps even late 50's? The front linked suspension was still around on other bikes during those years. All very sweet and look collector's grade. Do you take them to show's?

I'll sure the bikes aged slower than the models though
    Louise Forsling likely did not age as well as the bike, but it's hard to find recent photos.

In the group of three bikes, the one on the left is a 1972 R60/5, the white is a 1966 R27, and the black on on the right is a 1968 R69US, commonly referred to as a "Slash-2" the "US" referring to the telescopic fork option which indicated the way BMW would go just a few years later on the /5 series. The black bike with the "bikini" fairing is a 1981 R100CS, one of 164 made for the US as an homage to the classic R90S. The "CS" refers to Classic S. This CS was also featured in the 8-page photo-spread in Esquire.

Many of these bikes will likely attend some of the celebrations this year for BMW's 100th Anniversary of motorcycle production. I was asked to include two or three in the "100th" exhibit at the BMW CCA Foundation museum in South Carolina but passed since I'm not the "collector" type who has time and transport available to schlep them to SC, leave them for a year, and somehow get them back home. I may ride one of them to attend the exhibit, but I only haul them when I'm buying them—or if they break. The CS has only been in my truck the day I bought it over 30-years ago, and once when the electronic ignition failed while at an international rally in WV also decades ago. They are each what would today probably be called "survivor" level collectibles and not show bikes. The red 1972 now has over 26k miles. The CS has over 50,000 miles on it, as does my R1150RS.

Strong coincidence that much of my Crown "collection" is close in age to many of my BMW bikes—and JBLs, too. In fact, I purchased my first Crown amp about the same year I purchased my first BMW bike.

Bravo, beemers were always known for their ability to do high mileage touring and longevity. They still look like collectors to me - all original with very light wear is my definition.

Crown PS-400 amp

Just found a recycler type place somewhat local to me that seems to have a few Crown PS-400 amps for sale. I expect to go pick it up Friday for under $300 including tax (no shipping fees - which they listed at $50).
    It doesn't have the knobs or shafts - a common mod from what I've seen on Crown gear to keep the unauthorized from dinking with the levels, so I'm looking to find thos parts to restore the control function.
    More when I know more ... A blurry scanned service manual is available at HiFi Engine ...

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Oh, does that forum still exist?

I appreciate it! Although the audiobux coffer is tapped once again after the purchase of those two PS-400's. I've got to list more of my obsolete gear & sell it. However, if I could get that PS-400 shipped for less than $500, that would be a pretty sweet deal. Then I'd have a spare PS-200 on my hands.

There are quite a few on eBay, but everyone wants around $100 for them. I have seen PS amps listed for sale with the adaptors on them. If a soul needed/wanted both, that's the way to go as the seller usually isn't charging extra for the combo.

That is sad. I've noticed as I browse around here and other forums that some of the members have passed on. Vintage audio doesn't seem to have the appeal vintage cars and such do, so I wonder what will happen to this gear as the custodians of it pass on..
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information