Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 4365's in the US? Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    My speakers just arrived today and must say WOW I am stunned. Sounds great allready
    I know just what you mean... it didn't take me any time to warm up to them.

Congratulations!

Widget

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I know just what you mean... it didn't take me any time to warm up to them.

Congratulations!

Widget
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    As soon as I have a 'spare' $15k, I will.

Perhaps in the next life. Not this one.

I get that. I don't for a minute consider $15K pocket change. I remember when the big blu monitors showed up and the HiFi Shop (of Ogden Utah mass murder fame) had a pair of 4343's or 4345's, I just couldn't afford a pair, no way, no how. I hate debt so I would not borrow for them.

When these were anounced for sale everywhere but the US I was so mad. Half a lifetime later when these became available I went all in. No regrets.

I would really like to compare these directly in my own room over time to the M2's but I have to say that I am not knocked out by D2's I have. I know that they are made all they can be in a very elaborate system so I don't consider my own opinion conclusive.

I am listening to the 4365's right now and couldn't be happier.

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Hi Barry,
    Can you please elaborate on your experience with the D2?

Hey Dave72!

I have been thinking about adding a proper listening room on this house since I bought it and now I actually have my sketches and desires list in the hands of an artchitect and I hope to make this a reality before the end of the year. The space is fairly affordable but the interior may have to come along check by check.

If I can get this accomplished at some point, the work involved in moving some stuff around to a safe space large enough to accomodate real comparisons may be worthwhile.

I have come to the realization that my best money spent on sonic improvement will be the environment. I am out of room for more speakers anyway.

All the best,
    Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I have been thinking about adding a proper listening room on this house since I bought it and now I actually have my sketches and desires list in the hands of an artchitect and I hope to make this a reality before the end of the year.

I have come to the realization that my best money spent on sonic improvement will be the environment.
    When you think about all the people who spend tens of thousands of dollars on cables and much more on other audio goodies, it really puts things into perspective.

Widget

Hey Dave72!

I have been thinking about adding a proper listening room on this house since I bought it and now I actually have my sketches and desires list in the hands of an artchitect and I hope to make this a reality before the end of the year. The space is fairly affordable but the interior may have to come along check by check.

If I can get this accomplished at some point, the work involved in moving some stuff around to a safe space large enough to accomodate real comparisons may be worthwhile.

I have come to the realization that my best money spent on sonic improvement will be the environment. I am out of room for more speakers anyway.

All the best,
    Barry.
    Awesome! Sounds great. There's nothing like a dedicated listening room!
    S4700 owner.

Because JBL is still being led by the wrong people?

Widget
    haha good one.
    S4700 owner.

I am not in the market for 4365's (right now) , but I have read the glowing reviews
    and wonder ....

How would they compare to other high end JBL's ( ie: DD6700, M2's, 9900's etc) ??
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Obsolete
    I would really like to compare these directly in my own room over time to the M2's but I have to say that I am not knocked out by D2's I have.
    That I cannot recommend...

I know that they are made all they can be in a very elaborate system...
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    How would they compare to other high end JBL's ( ie: DD6700, M2's, 9900's etc) ??
    Yes, the M2 is insanely good. I realize that it is hard for a lot of folks to understand that, but the price/performance ratio of the M2 and recommended amplifiers is staggering.

I'm not a huge fan of the D2 either, it is not a 476Mg or 476Be (And faston connectors on a two thousand dollar transducer? Really?). The fact that the M2 can turn it into a silk purse is just one more reason to admire the M2.

You have an outstanding platform in the 4365. The next level up is full digital between the 1501Fe and 476Mg. It can give an M2 system a run for the money, as could the DD65000, DD66000, and DD67000. I have to be totally honest with respect to the K2-S9900, it just doesn't have the kind of bottom end that I look for in a high performance loudspeaker system. At a similar price point to the M2/Crown system, well, it isn't even a contest...

I am going to come clean on the M2 thing.

Remember the original blowup about the M2 pic here before the official announcement? Here is my part in that. I saw that picture on the JBLPRO site the night before or early that morning. I called my good friend, the one who just ordered a pair of 4365's, and asked him to get on line because there is a new large format monitor on the site. I asked him to get price and a availability on them. He ownes a tier 1 Harman Pro shop so he knows who to call and, he calls Mark Gander directly. Mark asks him, how do you know about these? Now you know the rest of that story.

So, I go on the hook for a pair with the Crown amps and wait, only to have them tell us that since the shop (my friends) won't go on the hook to place a display pair on the floor, they won't sell him/us a pair. It's a buy four and demo or nothing deal. To me that is total bullshit so I said tell you what, when you want to sell a pair through (XXX)' shop send them out, until you will send a pair through him, to hell with them.

I am not afraid of comparing the M2 against the 4365's. I personally would wager that given the same level of DSP attention the 4365 would win.

On another front, my Everest cabinets have made it to LA. I have to make throats and horns for them but other than that I have everything to properly load them. I am undecided on which DSP to use while I am trying to find out what is going to replace the DBX4800. THIS! Is going to be real fun.

Barry.

Obsolete
    So, I go on the hook for a pair with the Crown amps and wait, only to have them tell us that since the shop (my friends) won't go on the hook to place a display pair on the floor, they won't sell him/us a pair. It's a buy four and demo or nothing deal. To me that is total bullshit so I said tell you what, when you want to sell a pair through (XXX)' shop send them out, until you will send a pair through him, to hell with them.
    The same thing with the waveguides. JBL Pro was downright belligerent with respect to them those first couple years and now a person can buy them from some third party website...

I am not afraid of comparing the M2 against the 4365's. I personally would wager that given the same level of DSP attention the 4365 would win.
    It should.

On another front, my Everest cabinets have made it to LA. I have to make throats and horns for them but other than that I have everything to properly load them. I am undecided on which DSP to use while I am trying to find out what is going to replace the DBX4800. THIS! Is going to be real fun.
    So you bought a pair of those Everest enclosures from Denmark?

I have the "half of a DD67000" thing going with single 1501AL-2's instead of dual 1501AL-2's. I went with the 4338/4365 style enclosure to put the DD67000 components in.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Hi Barry,
    Can you please elaborate on your experience with the D2?
    Hi Thomas!

There is not a lot to tell. I swept them on the PWT, them mounted one to a 4338, on the other side a TruExtent loaded 2451. These are on top of a pair of 4430's I have on my repair bench for amp testing. They are on their sides with the 4338's on top of the layed down cabinetes so they are close to the 2235's.

The D2 (level matched of course) sounds like a very small driver. With it's voice coils wired in series (as I received them) it is also far less efficient. Could you bend it around a bunch with EQ? Of course, but on a cursory glance, I thought, well it would make one hell of a high power tweeter but it doesn't naturally have the large format driver character that I love. I listened to them for a week or two and went back to the 2451Be's.

Somehow I expect to catch hell for passing judgement with so little effort applied and that is why I implied that my opinion is not considered conclusive, even to me.

I bought a pair of little JBL horns from a member here and plan on seeing how hard they will play the 8-10kHz up on the big shop stereo.

For the record, I don't question JBL's use of this driver in the M2. But I haven't invested the time in truly exploring them fully. Someday.

All the best,
    Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I am not in the market for 4365's (right now) , but I have read the glowing reviews
    and wonder ....

I can't speak about the DD67000s or M2s, but I have had the 4365s, 9900s, and my own DD66000s all in my room for days or weeks to audition. Leaving aesthetics off the table I would rate them in order of cost, meaning the most expensive sounds the best and the 4365 follows the 9900... with a fairly large disclaimer. If a subwoofer is out of the question, then the 4365 wins. The upper bass and lower mids of the 9900 are distinctly better, but the lack of low end doesn't suit my musical tastes.

On the DSP topic... I'm leaning in that direction too, but I'm still on the fence as to which one to go with. Also without JBL's anechoic chambers and expertise I am not confident I can dial in a DSP to really be superior. I say that even though I'm well aware that a million folks online have managed to setup their DSPs to make crap speakers sound "better" than all the mega buck systems out there.

Widget

Obsolete
    the 4365 follows the 9900... with a fairly large disclaimer. If a subwoofer is out of the question, then the 4365 wins. The upper bass and lower mids of the 9900 are distinctly better, but the lack of low end doesn't suit my musical tastes.
    It doesn't have to though with a network swap. I used both the 4365 and S9900 passive filters and the S9900 passive filters sounded better to me. The DD67000 passive network sounds the best of the three though, no real shock there I suppose.

Thread Information