Thread: 4343 References Thread - Any Drawings/Plans/Assembly with Dimensions To Add?

4343 References Thread - Any Drawings/Plans/Assembly with Dimensions To Add?

In the Lansing Product Technical Help (one of my favorite sections!) under 4343 References Thread Heather said:" Please note - I have just begun this thread and have a LOT left to add ..." back in 2007.

Now, Heather does a brilliant job on the Heritage site but can only do 'so much' if she isn't given a whole lot more to go on, without laboriously searching the "many" threads for extra info to put into Reference Threads like these - Plus - the amount of "interest", has to make it worthwhile.
    Since the demise of availability of Recones and drivers to use; the 43xx 4 - way Series has to succumb to being damn difficult to build yourself one as a Project because you just can't get the Parts together...
    Recently, I have been delighted to see that JBL C8R2235 Recones ARE once again available! A quick look on ebay tells me that the 10" frames aren't entirely gone with the dinosaurs, so making something up isn't so "out of reach" after all!

So as far as the 4343 is concerned, "Do we have a set of Working Drawings" to go off?
    I see we had one new member build himself a nice set of '4343' speakers but I have no idea where he got all his measurements from? This Forum? I haven't been able to find a front baffle layout beside the one I drew up ages ago - which I don't even know is "truely" accurate to an original...?
    I am convinced that using a Caberet Series 4628 box which holds my 2235 and a separate box (old stereo boxes with a new baffle) 11" wide on its side to hold the 10" and sitting on top of this a 2240 and 2405 side by side don't sound as good as they could if they were all in a proper Cabinet! I suppose I can get the basic size from the 4344 Design Cut download for my cabinets and just trust my own drawing to be "close enough" for the front baffle but I KNOW I won't be happy with it because I'll never know if it IS right?
    ARE these designs worth saving and having proper Build Records of, or have people moved on and aren't fussed with the Blue Baffle Brigade anymore..?

I know I AM - even if I DO have to get someone else to build the boxes for me because I can't 'do' those things anymore. I 'would' like to see my parts and proper crossover in a box.. one day. (and NO, I don't feel better now..)

DogBox
    [Steve G.]
    [Yes, I know the 2240 isn't 4343 parts, but it DOES sound nice!]

Here's a thread worth reading ( with some very detailed 4344 plans in pdf form ).

4344 plans, as drawn by ayaboh

As far as I can remember there are no detailed build plans for the 4340/1 or 4343.

I would build a 4344 using a 2123h mid in place of the 2122h .

<> EarlK

No-one like the 4343?

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    4344 plans, as drawn by ayaboh

As far as I can remember there are no detailed build plans for the 4340/1 or 4343.

""I would build a 4344 using a 2123h mid in place of the 2122h"" <> EarlK
    Hi Earl,

And ThankYou! for your response. Yes, I had thought about doing the 4344 instead of but that seemed not what I had my heart set upon..

Even the 4345 [and before reality sunk home, a 4350! I pretty much have the parts!!] was a thought...but I keep on coming back to the 4343

as it does have a kind-of appeal!! Yes, I know I can have the latest with charge-coupled crossovers, the works!

I do still have a pair of 2121 recones and a couple of E110 frames waiting for them.. Seems a waste when I have struggled (you'll never know!) to

get all the 4343 parts expressly for the build...

It just seems a little strange that "that" model out of all the 43xx models doesn't have Build Plans...???

I even thought about the 4340/4341 as a project, but that could prove even harder than the 4343!

Appreciate the Help Earl! Seems i'll stay in limbo a little longer

Kind Regards,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by DogBox View Post
    Hi Earl,

And ThankYou! for your response. Yes, I had thought about doing the 4344 instead of but that seemed not what I had my heart set upon..

Even the 4345 [and before reality sunk home, a 4350! I pretty much have the parts!!] was a thought...but I keep on coming back to the 4343

as it does have a kind-of appeal!! Yes, I know I can have the latest with charge-coupled crossovers, the works!

I do still have a pair of 2121 recones and a couple of E110 frames waiting for them.. Seems a waste when I have struggled (you'll never know!) to

get all the 4343 parts expressly for the build...

It just seems a little strange that "that" model out of all the 43xx models doesn't have Build Plans...???

I even thought about the 4340/4341 as a project, but that could prove even harder than the 4343!

Appreciate the Help Earl! Seems i'll stay in limbo a little longer

Kind Regards,
    Steve
    What happened was by the time people got interested in cloning the 4 way systems the 4344 had been around for a while and with the more refined 2122H mid they went the 4344 route.

The primary differences are in the baffle layout and the 4343 had a rotatable upper baffle for the mid-horn array.

When you get to the crossover let me know what you decided on and l will give you some technical support around optimising the results.

4343 Nitty Gritty! At Last..

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    What happened was by the time people got interested in cloning the 4 way systems the 4344 had been around for a while and with the more refined 2122H mid they went the 4344 route.

The primary differences are in the baffle layout and the 4343 had a rotatable upper baffle for the mid-horn array.

When you get to the crossover let me know what you decided on and l will give you some technical support around optimising the results.
    Hi Ian,

Glad to be finally in conversation! I have gotten to the crossover stage some time back as I have been listening to a going concern for some time. I made up
    a 3143 crossover as per the circuit diagram but put each drivers parts on separate 3mm thick MDF board. I have one for the LF and MF, one for the HF and one for the
    UHF. I have JBL 2235; (very good aftermarket) 2122, JBL 2440-[D16R2445], 2405-[orig.JBL] Having the 2235's in a 4628 Caberet box with the 2122's in separate sealed boxes on top with the 2405's & 2440's mounted on some 11 1/4"Wx7"H 3/4" Chip Board to be able to mount the lenses, with the 2405's sitting next to them. As a "set-up" it sounds impressive but not as good as it could if I had everything mounted in a proper cabinet...
    Taking another look at those boxes 4313B made up ( http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...1&d=1261019971 ) I just might do the same thing but with the 4343 drivers. If I can't get measurements - I'll just use the physical size of the 4344 and place everything "in line", off-centre, and try to keep roughly the same spacing between the speakers. I DO want to recone my other E-110's with the C8R2121's I bought ages ago and use those instead of the aftermarket 2122's I'm using at present.
    I'm sure you could help me greatly with your expertise in the crossover area! I just wanted it up and running and its been that way for the last 3 1/2 odd years!
    Truly Grateful for your offer to Help! Boy, I need it!!!
    Kind Regards,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by DogBox View Post
    Hi Ian,

Glad to be finally in conversation!

>I have gotten to the crossover stage some time back as I have been listening to a going concern for some time.

>I made up a 3143 crossover as per the circuit diagram but put each drivers parts on separate 3mm thick MDF board.
    I have one for the LF and MF, one for the HF and one for theUHF.
    I have JBL 2235; (very good aftermarket) 2122, JBL 2440-[D16R2445], 2405-[orig.JBL]
    Having the 2235's in a 4628 Caberet box with the 2122's in separate sealed boxes on top with the 2405's & 2440's mounted on some 11 1/4"Wx7"H 3/4" Chip Board to be able to mount the lenses, with the 2405's sitting next to them. As a "set-up" it sounds impressive but not as good as it could if I had everything mounted in a proper cabinet...

>Taking another look at those boxes 4313B made up ( http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...1&d=1261019971 ) I just might do the same thing but with the 4343 drivers.
    If I can't get measurements - I'll just use the physical size of the 4344 and place everything "in line", off-centre, and try to keep roughly the same spacing between the speakers.

>I DO want to recone my other E-110's with the C8R2121's I bought ages ago and use those instead of the aftermarket 2122's I'm using at present.
    I'm sure you could help me greatly with your expertise in the crossover area! I just wanted it up and running and its been that way for the last 3 1/2 odd years!
    Truly Grateful for your offer to Help! Boy, I need it!!!
    Kind Regards,
    Steve
    Good idea putting each crossover filter in a separate board. This what GT does in his newer designs.

The mock up approach is worth it in case you are not sure what what you like or don't like. 80% of the result is in the execution. Talk to me when you get to the setting up stage.
    Have a look through the links in the above post. Its all hands one stuff so look at how it was made. The issue it how to make it in a manner that it will actually fit together and be structurally sound.

My advice is grab that front baffle sketch and convert to metric. Then layout the drivers on a sheet of mdf so you get the feel for how it will come together.
    Pencil it out and work out how the sub mid chamber will be positioned relative to and independent of the main enclosure side walls, the L-pad assembly and the horn mouth frame.

Once you have it figured out cut a trial baffle put of cheap mdf from Bunnings with the your router and do a mock up fit-out of how of exactly how it will come together.
    Think about the front upper baffle fasteners and what you plan to use.

Instep the port cut outs so you can insert the outer diameter of the 100mm pvc pipe in the rear of the baffle but only see the timber cut out of the inner diameter at the front.

When you are confident of the detail do the final baffle. I suggest a 18 or 25 mm marine plywood or similar for the baffles for strength. You can use 25mm mdf if you prefer. I would put in a front/rear brace assembly to minimise flexing of the front and rear panels.

The actual 4344 enclosure is very similar in dimensions only the baffle layout is different for marketing reasons.

I personally like the 4343 baffle. It lends itself to some great industrial interior design.

PM me on where you are at on the crossover.

Ian

4343 Revival!

Hi Ian,
    It seems I must have scoured this 'site' pretty well.. I have read and re-read those posts many times. Strangely enough, I never get sick of it!
    Oh, and by-the-way, that drawing.. I have the original. That "sketch" was drawn by me years ago with the help of 1audiohack - Barry, who visited his friend who
    had a pair and did all the dimensions I asked for so I could make a "working drawing". I personally have never seen a 4343 in the flesh. Yeah, I'm a sad case!
    If there are any errors in that drawing; I'm sorry but did my best from the information I was given and "constant" referal back and forth to pictures of actual 4343's.
    If santashooter used my drawing, his efforts look pretty good, to me!
    I 'will' get a box for mine...one day..
    Appreciate all your Help Ian & others!

Steve

Update

Hopefully these come through ok..
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Nice.

Did the same a while back in 99 or was it 2001?

The finalisation will need the passive crossover re worked for response and impedance variations with the originally specified 1 inch 2420 and later 2425 compression drivers. Pm me on that.

Best all drivers in a vertical line.

You will also need to re shape the dog box to fit the larger diameter compression driver if you decide to keep the original baffle spacing.

Aftermarket or not! I'm still curious..

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    The finalisation will need the passive crossover re worked for response and impedance variations with the originally specified 1 inch 2420 and later 2425 compression drivers. Pm me on that.

Will do.

Best all drivers in a vertical line.

I know the original 4343 'did' have them in a vertical line but that "line was the center-line of the cabinet!" I was thinking of shifting that off to one side and mirror position the other side/speaker. Just how far 'off-center' I am not sure... Any takers??

You will also need to re shape the dog box to fit the larger diameter compression driver if you decide to keep the original baffle spacing.
    Well now I know "how sweet it is" I would like to keep it [2440]. I have some D16R2451-SL diaphragms coming just for the occasion! Dog box to suit!!

I have also been thinking about the MF crossover parts I am using - they should be for the 2122 I am using, albeit an aftermarket recone... Looking at the 3145
    schematic, it's not the same as the 4343, so I also have some parts coming to change that over. I probably should change the HF section after the 4350 but think I
    would be getting the crossover too far out-of-whack with things not designed to 'be' with one another... My downfall.. I just don't know enough of what I am doing
    and expecting the changes to be ok with each other - I know it doesn't work that way.. It will keep me fiddling around in between looking after my mum upstairs!

Always open to comments and advice! That's what I love about the people on this site/forum... plenty of willing advice!

Many Thanks!!!
    Steve

It depends if you want an authentic Jbl 4343 or an authentic 4344?

Some people want that Jbl sound the way Jbl set them up and a close replica of the enclosure.
    If you follow the design per crossover and drivers you are guaranteed a good result. With some additional effort they can produce a stellar performance.

This reference thread reflects that authenticity.

In the diy space you can try anything and have fun while your at it. The result will be very much in the hands of the diy speaker builder.

Using this drawing, I can build CAD CNC baffle, then fit to 4344 cabinet size. Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks Familiar...

Quote Originally Posted by atilsley View Post
    Using this drawing,.....
    Hi Andrew,

Yep, that's the drawing I did some years back with the Help of Audiohack1. Shouuld be pretty close... well no one's told me 'it's Not!'

I am pretty sure when I transferred it onto a big enough piece of board it looked pretty good.. compared to the many photographs to

put things in perspective. With a box from Design Cut of the 4344 and that baffle layout you should have the cabinet taken care of!

Will have to save my pennies although I was looking at some timber/ply suppliers up your way and Vaneered Chipboard in 'Sapele' wasn't

too pricey per sheet.. Still saving up but.. Thanks for all your info and emails! Greatly appreciated!

DogBox
    [Steve]

Thread Information