Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Really Good Lead Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Hofmannhp View Post
    Hi folks,

wonder why he's not that well known in the US...
    take his Album "live at Tampa Bay Blues Festival 2000"
    the following link lists him as No. 6 in the guitarists billboard of BBC UK

http://www.waltertrout.com/top20.htm

HP
    There are sooo many phenomenal players around the world...and probably in your own city that no one knows of.

I go to the NAMM show every year and I'm almost afraid to pick up a guitar and play because the whole show is loaded with talent walking around the floor...many are kids under twenty that just soak this stuff up. It takes some time though, to learn how to speak through the instrument with soul and feel. First comes learning how to play it...then learning how to speak through it...pretty corny, huh?
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    It takes some time though, to learn how to speak through the instrument with soul and feel. First comes learning how to play it...then learning how to speak through it...pretty corny, huh?
    Nope--not corny. It's the truth, and thank you for saying it. As Bob Dylan has said, it's all about connecting with the audience. There may be a lot of different ways of trying to get at that verbally, but when it happens it is unmistakeable.

David

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    There may be a lot of different ways of trying to get at that verbally, but when it happens it is unmistakeable.

David
    Ya know? Love it or hate it..."American Idol" showcases exactly that statement, Dave.

The singers that really live the moment...with honesty, and real vocal talent...shines through brightly with that intangible connection...You can feel it when it happens.

I gotta go change the oil and mow the lawn now ....I'd rather be doing this....I've procastinated long enough.

See ya later.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

there are tons of great guitarists out there now and since every new generation has the benefit of the collected knowlege of everything past they are sure to get better and better.the only fly in the ointment is originality which is becomming more rare.try revisiting the whats playing now thread as there are great performances mentioned there and no doubt will be many more.

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    . . . . I gotta go . . . . mow the lawn now . . . .
    I was supposed to do that yesterday, but it rained up here. Too bad! And I never do it on Sunday.

David

sorry, live at the filmore east would be the album, and the guitar solo by Alvin Lee in "Help Me" is a real treat.

Roy buchanan plays his guitar in the messiah from album (Roy Buchanan 1972) he hits some notes in that song that I didn't know were possible.

Eddie Van Halen from the album "Van Halen" shows his skills being one of the fastest guitarists in the world.

And as Edgewound said Mark Knopler of Dire Straits album "Brothers in arms" from the unbelieveable "Sultans of Swing" to the tribute song "Brother's in Arm's) is a great guitarist and both of these songs are enjoyed best at around 40 watts or higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Hofmannhp View Post
    Hi folks,

wonder why he's not that well known in the US...
    take his Album "live at Tampa Bay Blues Festival 2000"
    the following link lists him as No. 6 in the guitarists billboard of BBC UK

http://www.waltertrout.com/top20.htm

HP
    I'm confused. He's on your "Groups You Can't Stand" thread list (with some other good ones). Did you misread the point of that thread? Or what?

David

Elliott Randall, best known perhaps for his work on Steely Dans albums, i.e. "Reelin' in the Years"

I'll second Ritchie Blackmore. If there was never another album after Deep Purple In Rock that'd be enough. But the four albums leading up to that, several of the follow ups, the first couple of Rainbow releases, and various orchestral outings all display his quirky, idiosyncratic, syncopatic, jazz/rock/classical stylings. The boy does know how to modulate feedback and bend a string.

I still have a fragment of his guitar that I scuttled under the stack of stage monitors to retrieve when he played at Wings Stadium, just before security dragged my flailing ass out from under the risers.

Next up I'd have to bring forward Phil Keaggy, the nine-fingered guitarist of Glass Harp and later Christian rock fame. Everyone probably knows the urban legend about Hendrix naming him the greatest guitarist in the world, which might have actually been shortest guitarist in the world, or nothing at all.

The Nuge did say Keaggy could save the world with his guitar, before the Christian rock thing came along and kind of put a plastic glow to that comment.

Keaggy is very fast, melodic, stylish, and inventive. He can be funky if need be, and his musical range covers many genres. He's done some blistering solos on the old Decca recordings of Glass Harp, like Synergy.

I bought a four CD set of Keaggy's instrumental work that was sold in Office Depot or Office Max or Staples for Pete's sake, and it has such an amazing palette of musical textures and genres that it makes me wonder what the hell it was doing there.

A lot of Keaggy's CCM (Christian Contemporary Music) work is bland and, ironically, uninspired, though he wins more Dove awards than just about anybody. But every once in awhile there's a track or two, or even an entire side that makes me think, "Maybe Hendrix did say that," or "Geez, Nugent was right, this guy could save the world with his guitar."

If chording is an art, then Pete Townshend is its Picasso. This old Brit is still teaching young punks what it means to be a Rocker. His guitar playing certainly has stayed in better shape that bandmate Daltry's voice.

Pete typifies energy and raw power. Arm circling like a windmill, strings breaking, axes smashing, monitors groaning, amps burning, these are a few of my favorite things. His playing has many, many memorable riffs, some of which have become a part of contemporary culture for better or worse.

Well, let's correct this oversight right now–Jeff Beck.

Not the most stable man to be sure, but the guitar playing was/is incredible. His influence and innovations in the 60s spawned a whole generation of Beck wannabes. He's won four Grammy Awards, including one in 2003. His album Jeff from 2003 shows why he's had a lasting influence on every generation of guitar players since he played with the Yardbirds in the '60s.

I'll raise a pick to Yngwie Malmsteen as well. His Rising Force album tells you everything you need to know, or you can pick up the Satriani/Vai/Malmsteen G3 Live In Denver effort from 2003. It has three jams included (one Neil Young and two Jimi Hendrix songs) that will let you measure him among two of the very best.

Well, I need to get to bed, but I have a cold, so it's hard to sleep. Anyway, there's a few more names I'll come back to.

Joe Walsh
    Tommy Bolin
    Prince

Really Good Lead Guitar
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    ... Pete Townshend ... Arm circling like a windmill, strings breaking, axes smashing, monitors groaning, amps burning ...

Should go and buy a DVD.
    [CDs there are plenty.]

Thread Information