Thread: JBL 4312C or L80t3?

JBL 4312C or L80t3?

Hello to everyone! I'm Dacho from Argentina.
    I own the JBL L80T3 but i got an offer to change them for a good set of JBL 4312C.
    I don't know what to do, the 4312 double the cost, but they sound amazing and are in near mint condition (my l80t3 not).
    Other doub is the power handling, the L80t3 its 300W the 4312 100W, I have a pioneer SA8500II (60w p/channel) but maybe I change it for a more power amp in the future.

Can you guys help me to decide?

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum sir!

The L80t3 has cross over points of 4500Hz & 800Hz while the 4312c has 7k & 1.5k...I don't know the truth, but I'd imagine the 4312C won't be very good off axis with that big 12" woofer trying to reach that high.
    That said, if you only listen to them seated in one position I'm sure they'll be fine.

Power handling: I've never come across a speaker that didn't run out woofer excursion way before it reached thermal limits while playing normal music... I even high-pass my mains at 45Hz!

These are just things I would consider, in the end I let my ears lead the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Welcome to the forum sir!

The L80t3 has cross over points of 4500Hz & 800Hz while the 4312c has 7k & 1.5k...I don't know the truth, but I'd imagine the 4312C won't be very good off axis with that big 12" woofer trying to reach that high.
    That said, if you only listen to them seated in one position I'm sure they'll be fine.

Power handling: I've never come across a speaker that didn't run out woofer excursion way before it reached thermal limits while playing normal music... I even high-pass my mains at 45Hz!

These are just things I would consider, in the end I let my ears lead the way.
    Thank you Aaron! I totally agree with you, the ears have the final word!

I HAD L-80T's (not the T3) and didn't ever like them.

I've HAD and still HAVE multiple pairs of 3 way , 12 inch LF JBL's.

Cannot even imagine the best L-80T series to be close to the worst
    3 way, 12 in. JBL bookshelves. (hoping that the RADIANCE never had a 12 )
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I HAD L-80T's (not the T3) and didn't ever like them.

I've HAD and still HAVE multiple pairs of 3 way , 12 inch LF JBL's.

Cannot even imagine the best L-80T series to be close to the worst
    3 way, 12 in. JBL bookshelves.
    And yet you've always sung the praises of the 4410 over the other 12-inch three-ways and the L80T has the exact same driver complement as the 4410.

I'm not disagreeing totally with your assessment. I have two pair of L80Ts converted with T3 crossovers. Among my over a dozen JBLs they are some of the least memorable. I paid $50 for one pair and $100 for the other which had just had factory replacement woofers installed when I bought them (not re-cones!). Don't get me wrong, they're fine speakers. I gave a pair to a friend as a long-term loan and he has some minor stereo cred with Yamaha systems and Maggie screens, and he loves the L80T/3.

Personally I prefer the L96, L5, or any of my 12-inch three ways to the L80T. I even prefer to listen to the Pro-III Plus or the LSR305s to the L80T/3. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer the L80T/3 to any 4311 derivative, having grown up when the L100 Century was new and my friends all had then and I never had any desire to own them.

And actually, like all other 4311 derivations, the 12-inch woofer runs full range without a crossover. The 1500kHz crossover is for the high-pass to the mid-range. Not a great woofer but then we all know what it sounds like and with the titanium tweet it just makes it more fake and more fun!

My normal reply is why not try both and see what you think? Or, own both and spend some time with them, keep them both, or sell the one you like the least. You're not likely to lose money on either.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    And yet you've always sung the praises of the 4410 over the other 12-inch three-ways and the L80T has the exact same driver complement as the 4410.
    do you know the difference ?

yes, the drivers are nearly identical. BUT the box size and network are not. member 4313b has agreed that the 4410 has the superior network and is tuned to a different audience. Networks can make a huge difference.

The 4410 also has adjustable control pots. The L80T ? NO , you get the sound balance that JBL gives you.

And NO, you are incorrect again. "And yet you've always sung the praises of the 4410 over the other 12-inch three-ways".
    I preferred the 4410 over the 4412. Can't think of any other 12-inch three ways that have been compared to it.

Have you ever heard the 4410 ? are you still confused ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Have you ever heard the 4410 ? are you still confused ?
    Yes. No. The main difference between the 10-inch and the 12-inch performance is placement. The 12-inch gets much more barrier reinforcement so if you don't like bass-heavy response, move them away from floors and walls.
    Its ust the thought of how dismissive you've been of the 4412 versus the 4410 and then suggest you "Cannot even imagine the best L-80T series to be close to the worst 3 way, 12 in. JBL bookshelves." Curious. I've performed Gordon's suggested mods to the L80t, including port extension and packing the top with an extra fiberglas layer. Sounds fine. It's just not the best.

But I agree with your original statement . . . mostly since I really like the 12-inch 3-ways, including the 4412A with its no adjustments, and especially the L112 with its "inferior" tweeter!

They're all good. And they're all different.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information