Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: Studio L Series

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Ok, so I just received a set of L890 from the E guy on that well known auction site. I open one of them up, and there is some kind of foam/insulation on the inside of the speaker (looking thru the bass port), that has come apart from the side. It looks alot like carpet pad. It appears as though it used to be glued to the inside wall of the speaker (can see glue "squiggle"), but it has come off.

Does this matter? Should I try to refasten it somehow? I could probably take off the back speaker panel connector so I could get my hand in there and perhaps reglue it (this would probably void warranty). My wife can stick her hand thru the bass port and move things around a bit, but there's not much she could do.
    I believe you are correct in that you have some damping material that has come loose. Not a major problem at all. Just CAREFULLY unscrew the hex screws from the bottom woofer and slowly remove it from the cabinet. Be CAREFUL of the wires that connect the woofer to the crossover. You may need to CAREFULLY remove the wires from the woofer to clear the cabinet. Make sure you note which color coded wire goes to its repective spade lug on the woofer so that when you re-connect them they will be in phase. This should give you enough room to replace the damping material. If not, you could follow the same steps and remove the other woofer. This shouldn't void the warranty, if done correctly no one would know anyway but, you may want to check with the seller to be sure.

Hope this helps,

Mark
    Past practice indicates future behavior.

JBL L Series (2006)

Just a place to talk about the the newer Studio™ L Series
    http://www.jbl.com/home/products/ser...=US&Region=USA

I have good experience with the LC2 Center speaker, and have a pair of the L820 speakers on the way to be used as rear-surrounds.

As G says, its all about the Price point!

Cherry finish is my preference over the black ash look ...

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...spx?prod=LC2CH

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...px?prod=L820CH

And I probably ought to be looking into their matching subs ...

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...?prod=L8400PCH
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

The L8400 sub is one of the best in it's price range, and better than any of the other JBL consumer offerings. It has serious response below 30Hz, and a very clean/crisp sound.

I have a similar love for the LC2, and use one for a back surround. It's hard to argue with anything that sounds that good and is SO easy to hang on the wall.

I love the 21st century L series!

Quote Originally Posted by JBobL View Post
    I love the 21st century L series!
    Why do I hear a mellotron behind your comment

21st century Speaker folk!

(Too much time spent listening to early Fripp!!)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

I just saw Amazon quote for $304.00 ea. Free slow-shipping. Cool.
    Looking forward to ur report.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

I have good experience with the LC2 Center speaker, and have a pair of the L820 speakers on the way to be used as rear-surrounds.

I had a long post composed but reduced it. I enjoy music more since getting all the L series. Grabbed 2 of the L8400P subs because they double duty as HT. Mostly music though.

There has been some discussion over at AVS that with the LS series comng in Oct. the Studio L series might be history, and the PS has been said to already be discontinued.
    Although it would seem to create a large gap (price and performance) between the new ES and the LS if the Studio L series is dropped.
    That said, I don't think the Studio L or PS will just disappear over night. Still be able to get from harmanaudio until stock runs out. You can still buy the older TiK series, Infinity Preludes, E series on harman.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

Thanks for this thread Heather....I have a set of L880's on the way....I am going to just experiment with them....

I am considering using (2) L890's for front's, (2) L880's for rears and an LC2 for center.....my listening room is about 25X28.....of course music(Loud rock, Classical, Jazz and other) is my first use but I want these to double as my HT....I can do this whole package for $1100.00 using JBL Reman's from EBay....I am driving this whole bit with a Yamaha RX-870 A/V Receiver.....but I have considered getting a Harman AVR745....do you think I will get better sound with the Harmon(noticable improvement) to warrant this purchase?

Thanks for your comments,
    Shaan

Quote Originally Posted by shaansloan View Post
    Thanks for this thread Heather....I have a set of L880's on the way....I am going to just experiment with them....

I am considering using (2) L890's for front's, (2) L880's for rears and an LC2 for center.....my listening room is about 25X28.....of course music(Loud rock, Classical, Jazz and other) is my first use but I want these to double as my HT....I can do this whole package for $1100.00 using JBL Reman's from EBay....I am driving this whole bit with a Yamaha RX-870 A/V Receiver.....but I have considered getting a Harman AVR745....do you think I will get better sound with the Harmon(noticable improvement) to warrant this purchase?

Shaan
    Having used both HK and Yamaha over the years, I consider the HK to sound better, and if for no other reason than Harman's L7 processing. The L7 gives you much better dialog than DD or DTS and is just superb all around for 5~7 channels. Plus HK's power rating is conservitive compared to Yamha's.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

shaansloan, I'm using an HK525 (75wpc) in my living room to power 2x L880, LC2 and 4x L820s. The room is only 18x12 so -25 on the volume = comfortably loud for music.
    I never turn it up more than -20.
    Bought a pair of L890s too but they're connected to largish power amp 2 channel rig.
    Glad i found some this spring when they were easier to find.
    They sound amazing to me. Originally purchased the pair of L890s for mains in my HT but they sounded so well I replaced all the Studio S series with them.

Cant wait to get um....L880's

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Just a reminder that we have a Studio L Series thread with hundreds of posts.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...=studio+series

Perhaps a moderator could append this thread (minus Rolf's contribution) to the end of that thread to keep it all in one place?
    TDome....thanks for the link....there's a ton of info on that thread....

Thanks to all you guys(and gals) for putting up with us novice audiogeeks...I am learning tons......

Shaan

.....but I have considered getting a Harman AVR745....do you think I will get better sound with the Harmon(noticable improvement) to warrant this purchase?

Shaan
    I have a non-HDMI harman receiver AVR335 (I think) runs everything but the big left/Right fronts (the 4341s - for those I use preamp out and feed an Ashly crossover and a pair of JBL/UREI amps) - I believe its 60-70w/ch and sounds very nice. It does all the nice processing for movies (DTS/Dolby etc).

The only Yamaha gear I know well is the mid-70s era vintage stereo receivers I have for my upstairs system (CR-1020 and CR-2040).

Harman sent me email that my L820s are on the way and due Weds - I'll try and give them a good shakedown over the holiday weekend ...

if that goes well, perhaps I'll sell off my B-380 sub and the Citation 22 Amp, and get a pair of those L8400 subs while I still find a pair in the Cherry finish

Quote Originally Posted by TiDome View Post
    Just a reminder that we have a Studio L Series thread with hundreds of posts

Perhaps a moderator could append this thread to the end of that thread to keep it all in one place?
    TiDome - thanks for all the good info !
    You are def the goto guy for accumualted knowledge all these newer affordable JBL speaker series!

TiDome - You da MAN~!

Thanks!

Shaan
    LOL, I met Shaan today and tried to sell him my L890's, but I made the mistake of letting him hear my "new" L150A's, then the gleam went out of his eye for the L890's.

L150A, the deal-killers. Now he's ruined for life for any other speaker. I think we may have a new vintage JBL addict on our hands.

Nice to meet you Shaan, but now the L890's are in the back room facing the wall, looking all forlorn. They're calling to you......

Thread Information