Thread: Jbl glue

Jbl glue

hi,
    do you guys know what type (or kind) of glue JBL was using for it's crossovers ?
    Not that i am a fetichist but i find it very usefull and they are so many type of glue on the market...
    Name:  COLLE JBL.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  149.5 KB

No clue on the actual brand used by JBL but this is the genre;

Hot-Melt Adhesive ( Hot-Glue )

David,

In case you don't find the glue you're looking for you might want to look at silicone as fastener. Most people use silicone as a sealant but its also an good adhesive. With a small hand held tube that you press you control what comes out of the tube then applying the right amount and less messy (e.g. a dot or small line).

For example on pic attached i show 3 generations of silicone: Sil. 1, Sil. 2+ and Sil. 2 Advanced. The #1 was ok but didn't adhere well on some surfaces. That problem was mostly cured with #2 as indicated good for more surfaces. The recent #2 Advanced adds some other improvements like even stronger bond!, won't blemish metals, etc.

Don't be fooled by the window/door etc. stuff shown. The all purpose #1 says basically the same uses as the other two, however they're better.

I have no clue though if such silicones are available in Europe. Maybe some equivalents are sold there.

Btw i have about a dozen types of glue (maybe more?) but each of these has an intended purpose and works ok on a specified number of materials only, so glueing what to what is important, gotta use the right one for best results.

Richard

Name:  IMG_3297.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  121.0 KB
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

thanks guys...so far i used my 7 yo daughter 's hard sticks
    that melt in a heated pen (don t know the term in english) but it s weak.
    Jbl used it to glue the pots together, the inductance fixation, the condos, and the wires ! lots of different stuff !
    silicon is an idea but doesn t gets very hard does it ?

Very hard no, but hard enough yes.
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

Quote Originally Posted by davidpou View Post
    thanks guys...so far i used my 7 yo daughter 's hard sticks
    that melt in a heated pen (don t know the term in english) but it s weak.
    Jbl used it to glue the pots together, the inductance fixation, the condos, and the wires ! lots of different stuff !
    silicon is an idea but doesn t gets very hard does it ?
    I have been using hot glue for these applications myself for years. If you choose the right glue sticks they are absolutely permanent but can be released with the application of ethanol.

The key is using the right glue sticks and applicator. Most of the ones sold to the general public are designed to melt at a fairly low temperature to prevent injury and are not very satisfactory. I use an industrial product made by 3M. The applicator gun is fairly expensive and you have to buy the sticks in bulk. The system is fabulous but not practical if you’re only going to use it once or twice.

I have also used silicone… It works quite well but you have to be patient. Your parts have to be laid out and then sit motionless for an hour or more while you wait for the silicone to cure. Hot glue is much faster, but even that is too slow for me sometimes and I accelerate it with a product called Quick Freeze. This is an aerosol that is used for chilling circuit components when testing an electronic device. I spray the hot glue with Quick Freeze and it sets instantly.

Widget

Personally, I'd stay away from most silicone adhesives near wire/metal as it typically releases acid while curing.
    Some specialized types don't, IIRC, but there are enough other options, I'd just skip it for that use. My pref.
    Great stuff for other speaker building purposes (e.g., caulking/sealing cabinets).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I use an industrial product made by 3M.
    Widget
    I have been looking for the paint hue you adviced years ago for repainting the 4430 25 front and back, and can t find it anywhere... yours and another one from audiokarma...None is sold in Europe ! (Rust Oleum american accents and Krylon Industrial to name them)
    But 3M exists ! https://www.3mfrance.fr/3M/fr_FR/p/d/b40065549/

Can't beleive all these efforts from US and canada to sell us beaf and chicken with hormones, and what ?! we coudn't get the paints with dangerous chemichals ! what a world!
    Last edited by davidpou; 09-11-2022 at 08:35 AM. Reason: orhtograph

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Personally, I'd stay away from most silicone adhesives near wire/metal as it typically releases acid while curing.
    Some specialized types don't, IIRC, but there are enough other options, I'd just skip it for that use. My pref.
    Great stuff for other speaker building purposes (e.g., caulking/sealing cabinets).
    Dow & GE make electronics grade RTV which avoids the potential damage caused by the acid curing chemicals.
    "Why don't you Mine your own Bismuth, so you won't be mining mine?"

Thread Information