Thread: 4367 and two Crown I-Tech5000HD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I don't have first hand experience with the I-Tech amps, but I doubt connecting a D2430K directly will go smoothly.
    There is a reason why JBL includes a passive network (-10dB pad and 1st order 1kHz HP filter) in the M2, despite the added costs, and despite the ample DSP capabilities of the amps.
    Two reasons in fact: mitigate risks for the compression driver (including, among many others, human error), and avoid noticeable hiss at the listening position...

If you want to experiment your safest bet might be to keep the existing passive network for the compression driver, and go full active on the woofer side.
    But even that requires a lot of work and measurements to get right (ie comparable to the passive solution).

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    I don't have first hand experience with the I-Tech amps, but I doubt connecting a D2430K directly will go smoothly.There is a reason why JBL includes a passive network (-10dB pad and 1st order 1kHz HP filter) in the M2, despite the added costs, and despite the ample DSP capabilities of the amps.Two reasons in fact: mitigate risks for the compression driver (including, among many others, human error), and avoid noticeable hiss at the listening position...If you want to experiment your safest bet might be to keep the existing passive network for the compression driver, and go full active on the woofer side.But even that requires a lot of work and measurements to get right (ie comparable to the passive solution).
    I am aware of needed job to get a good balance out of the totally new driving mode but at same time convinced that any passive xover always limit the full potential of any sound system. Of course the full active solution is much more expensive thus not easy for a manufacturer to propose it to the market, but I already own a pair of Crown I-Tech5000HD, this is why, if is not there a real big cons (which in case I would understand) I'm very attracted to give this approach a try.

Thread Information