Thread: L-100 Quadrex Grills

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

DIY Alternative to Quadrex

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Blake View Post
    I would like to replace the grills on my Century L-100 speakers. I purchased these babies in 1975 and they have been outstanding every day since. The original grills were Quadrex ultra blue. I found a couple companies that apparently make them, but I am unable to contact them for whatever reason. One was Sculpted Foam Innovations ( saw their product on e-Bay, no longer available ), and the other was Foam Trend. Would truly appreciate any help or advice on the subject.
    Hey Mike, Welcome to the forum! The L100 is a fabulous speaker. I restored a pair about a year ago and hooked them up to a Dynaco ST-70 tube amp to test them out for a few days. They have now been sitting there for about a year and I regularly enjoy them. Just cant seem to put them aside even though they are surrounded by many much more expensive and efficient speakers.

On the Quadrex grills, I chose to build an insert of masonite covered with black grill cloth which fits inside the walnut frame for mine. I velcro-ed these in so that they could be removed or replaced. Here are a couple of pics. I have pics of the whole process if you would like them.

I am sure some cool forum person will help you locate the Quadrex here. I have never searched for them.

Happy JBL-ing! Shaan
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Vintage JBL and Altec fan

Thread Information