Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
Ah,

Reading through the above posts it has occurred to me that the actual driver impedance could be a factor.

I will have to turn on Leap to check but the impedance of the JBL 2245H in a tuned bass reflex enclosure isn’t 8 ohms. It dips down towards the dc resistance of the voice coil and is reactive. Ie not a passive resistance. That means in bridged mode you need to think about how your particular amp will cope in bridged mode.

In theory @ 600 watts the amp has to deliver 69 volts rms into an 8 ohm load. At the voltage the current is 8.7 amps. However if the load is for example 5 ohm at a frequency region of peak demand the voltage is 54 volts and the current is 11.00 amps. No matter how you look at it ohms law is hard at work here. When semi conductors are pressed reliability becomes a factor.

Under that condition the amplifier in bridged mode may or may not be adequately rated. The efficiency of the amplifier may possibly be impacted because more current is flowing at a lower voltage.

My inclination would be to buy a much more powerful power amp than the power your intended to use so the amp is not going to be operating near the worst case scenario.
A more powerful amp seems to be the take-away. Do you folks have any objections to running one in bridged mode? It's just that way seems like such an easy way for a guy like me with a miniscule budget to get to the goal. However, if a mono block or high power stereo amp is preferred, I will start saving more peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
It depends on the amplifier. To be honest I have no idea whether the K-1 is a Class AB with a SMPS, or a Class D, Class H, or something else. It's not that Class D amplifiers (what I was referring to) become unstable into a higher impedance speaker, they just produce less power (typically) into the higher impedance.

Apologies, the spec sheet I found didn't show a rating for 8 ohms bridged, so it's probably not Class D? But if they can deliver 1100 watts @ 8ohms, a pair should be fine.
I'm not sure, why don't these companies post what class their amp is under specifications?? I don't understand the technicals and mathematics like I once did. Ever hear of Audio Control? I've got one of their C-101 equalizers from my marantz days. They're still around and making amps. They've got this RS-1000 specifically designed for subwoofer use, mono @ 1000 watts, 2/4/8 ohm or so it says: https://www.audiocontrol.com/downloa...ser-manual.pdf SNR of almost 100dB..
Too pricy for me at the moment and have fans, but maybe down the road. What really makes this company great are their user manuals, there's tons of humor speckled in them. So not your typical, put you to sleep read.