Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to watch out for on re-cones?

What to watch out for on re-cones?

There are a bunch of re-coned 2206H's on ebay.

Anything I should watch out for, like might the cone/VC assemblies be cheap knockoff's of JBL's?

Does a kosher re-cone always use JBL parts, or are there equal-quality parts from alternate sources? If so, which are they?

Thanks
    Noah

Real JBL recones always use genuine JBL kits, never aftermarket recone kits, never.
    scottyj

OK, so how do I tell if it's a JBL cone assembly?

Thanks
    Noah

Some of our members here are more versed in this than I!

Someone like Giskard, or Edgewound may have the answers you need.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by noah katz
    OK, so how do I tell if it's a JBL cone assembly?

Thanks
    It's best to have pictures from the auction. I saw a past eBay auction(s) listing a bunch of 2206's that were clearly not reconed with JBL kits. There is some identifying numbers and QC handwriting on the rear of the cones on genuine JBL parts...I can't recall the numbers on the cone...I'll dig one up later to look.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thanks, Edgewound.

Not sure if the link is allowed, but here's one of them

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-15-2206H-8-o...QQcmdZViewItem

Like the name, but it must be tough living life on the an edge, all wound up, but I guess that's the price you pay for having a magnetic personality. sorry
    Noah

Recones and foams

My JBL speaker repair facility dude told me that JBL 2215/2231/2234/2235/2245 etc. cones & foams came from a company called Holly, wasn't sure where JBL got spiders from but thinks they outsourced them too. JBL spun their VC's themselves and assembled the spiders, cones and foams. I have not confirmed this from anyone at JBL so take it FWIW!
    He currently uses MWA Speaker Parts www.mwaspeakerparts.com recone and refoam kits from the USA as he says they are the best out there. Holly no longer a source, if they still exist. MWA rolls are about 7/16" dia not the OEM 1/2" but are supposed to perform the same. Face gaskets are a bit narrower and taller than OEM as well. Spiders are a custom issue as there are several stiffnesses available (ie he told me that 2231A/136A 16Hz Fs apparently use softer "C" but 2234/2235H 20Hz Fs use stiffer "D" spider) but generally are a problem to change on cone kits.
    I have not measured Fs but the refoams I have had done using MWA components sound OK to me. I don't know if I can reliably hear a couple Hz Fs change altho I can hear the difference in bass between my warmer 136A L300's and my tighter 2235H 4430's!
    - Roy

Two easy ones...serial no. on the cone starts with "WHF-xxxxxxx" . WHF stands for Waldom high fidelity...fake cone with round wire voice coil. Orange colored gaskets...always came with Waldom parts kits.

Thanks, Edgewound.

Not sure if the link is allowed, but here's one of them

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-15-2206H-8-o...QQcmdZViewItem

Like the name, but it must be tough living life on the an edge, all wound up, but I guess that's the price you pay for having a magnetic personality. sorry
    We post links all the time....no problem.

Here is a problem. The 2206 is and always has been a 12" speaker...not a 15" as listed in the auction...kind of sloppy advertising if you ask me.

Another problem is value. A correct JBL 2206 recone price is $136.00 parts and labor. A frame is worth about $25.00. $150.00 is way too much to pay for a premium speaker with the wrong parts and assembly. Some aftermarket reconers will try to jump down my throat and tell me I'm full of sh8t when I talk about the virtues of aftermarket vs. Genuine....that genuine is too expensive. The fact is... you get factory tolerances with a factory recone kit, and factory performance. Aftermarket is a crap shoot when you don't know the reconer, and there are lots of "interesting recone jobs out there....I've redone lots of them....from eBay purchases, and elsewhere.

BTW...the cone mfg in the previous post is named "Hawley Products".
    To the best of my knowledge JBL's cones come from LCC...Loudspeaker Component Corp....a facility I believe is run by Harman...or at least Harman owns their tooling for JBL cones and is exclusive. I welcome any corrections if I'm wrong.

Very witty! I like it....

Thanks for all the info, guys.

Sounds like I'd be better off getting blown ones and getting a proper recone myself.

Although after factoring in shipping to me, then to the reconer and back, I might as well just buy new ones.

Are there any reconers in the S.F. Bay Area?
    Noah

2206H is VGC. Do aftermarket kits have the requisite holes/confirguration?

http://www.jblproservice.com/service/california.html

Quote Originally Posted by remusr
    My JBL speaker repair facility dude told me that JBL 2215/2231/2234/2235/2245 etc. cones & foams came from a company called Holly,,,,(snip, snip ),,,,
    - Yes, their name was actually "Hawley" not Holly .

- I just looked at the fairly spartan ( perhaps even pathetic ? ) "MWA" website.
    - Personally, I wouldn't want the voice coils of my recones to be built from "round wire" ( in place of the proper, edgewound wire type ) .

- OTOH, maybe that sites' webmaster just has an ESL issue , ie; "round-wire" and "wound-wire" having being spelled out phonetically and used interchangeably .

- In either case, the MWA site does not create confidence for an informed consumer . Where are the assurances that the voice-coils have the correct length of wire in them and are of the proper gauge and/or that the cones are of the correct weight ?

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    - Yes, their name was actually "Hawley" not Holly .

- I just looked at the fairly spartan ( perhaps even pathetic ? ) "MWA" website.
    - Personally, I wouldn't want the voice coils of my recones to be built from "round wire" ( in place of the proper, edgewound wire type ) .

- OTOH, maybe that sites' webmaster just has an ESL issue , ie; "round-wire" and "wound-wire" having being spelled out phonetically and used interchangeably .

- In either case, the MWA site does not create confidence for an informed consumer . Where are the assurances that the voice-coils have the correct length of wire in them and are of the proper gauge and/or that the cones are of the correct weight ?

I will come to the defense of MWA...I buy some parts from them for general recones/refoams. They do offer edgewound coils, and they're actually pretty good. The main caveat is to know what you are buying...and pay a reasonable price for it. MWA only sells to the "trade".

I've stated before that reconing with aftermarket parts is not illegal, but that it must be disclosed to the buyer in all fairness and eBay auctions are notorius for lacking precise details when it comes to recones.

The physical specs of aftermarket parts/recone kits are different from the genuine article...and the difference should be significantly reflected in the price...ballpark 30-50% less

-Thanks for the clarity on this Ken. It's most appreciated .

Thread Information