Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2242H Subs for Big Bass

Internal volume

What is the internal volume for every 2242?

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Daugaard
    What is the internal volume for every 2242?
    Each 2242 is in an 8 cu ft. sub enclosure. The ports are tuned to ~30Hz, ~35Hz, and ~40Hz.

Widget

J.A.F.S.

Question Multiple Port Tunings?

Widget - from your last posting you mentioned each of the 4 ports in your cabinet was tuned to a different frequency? Does this multiple resonance alignment smooth out the overall response peaks?

thanks!

No, and no. You can only have one tuning per box. First of all, for the purposes of tuning these four subwoofers are essentially 8 unique systems. If you choose to use one long and one short port in 1 one of the systems it is effectively tuned to ~35Hz.

I suppose if you tuned some of the woofers to ~30Hz, some to ~35Hz and the remainder to ~40Hz it would smooth the overall system resonances. It would be best to do this with separate amps for each tuned set since the combined impedance load and phase response with multiple tunings could get interesting. I have wired each woofer independently so that they can be powered in parallel, series/parallel, or independently.

Widget

Obsolete
    What is the 2242H spacing? Where do they start to mutually couple?

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    What is the 2242H spacing? Where do they start to mutually couple?
    Not sure, and not sure. I am certain that within the passband that they will be operating, a stacked pair of cabinets will have all four 2242s mutually coupling.

Widget

Obsolete
    It should be fun to play around with the spacing of the two pairs to affect the point where mutual coupling occurs. Scott might find he doesn't need any VLF EQ simply by lowering the coupling frequency.

Once again, these are very nice Mr. Widget.

Four dual boxes should be stunning. That's just a whole lot of driver. They're so ungodly loud and clean and clear. Of course Scott's place might be huge. I'll have to check it out when I make my trip to N.Y. this summer.

It should be fun to play around with the spacing of the two pairs to affect the point where mutual coupling occurs. Scott might find he doesn't need any VLF EQ simply by lowering the coupling frequency.

Four dual boxes should be stunning. That's just a whole lot of driver. They're so ungodly loud and clean and clear. Of course Scott's place might be huge. I'll have to check it out when I make my trip to N.Y. this summer.
    But, basically, that IS what I want. Clear, and articulate sub bass, with gargantuan impact, and good extension. Clean bass that sounds great, no mud, no blur.

The JBL 2242 IS the Premium woofer of choice. JBL!
    scottyj

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    no mud, no blur
    These are JBL's - mud in, mud out, blur in, blur out. The source is the weakest link, the strongest is the JBL. They're made to be that way.

Of course, you already know that.

These are JBL's - mud in, mud out, blur in, blur out. The source is the weakest link, the strongest is the JBL. They're made to be that way.

Of course, you already know that.
    True, but my point was, what im using now WILL NEVER play clearly enough. The folded horns these are replacing are just not what I wanted them to be. However, my JBL tweeters, horns, and corner loaded 18in scoops DO play clear. Whatever you put in, is what comes out! Put in great source, hear great music, put in terrible source material, hear all the flaws clearly!

Plus, these are designed to handle some power, and I want to put power into them. The J Horns werent designed for todays woofers, and todays amplification, nor do they work well with todays stuff.

Ive heard many things out there, and JBL still has the BEST bottom of em all!

scottyj

J.A.F.S.

Question My 2245H enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    MDF layer and interior bracing.
    Nice box Widget!
    I am building an enclosure for two 2245H's (24 cu ft) - essentially two times the size of Greg Timber's 12 cu ft box, tuned to 20Hz. I am planning to NOT separate the enclosure into two partitions like you did here.

Is there any particular reason that you partitioned your enclosure? Reduction of cross driver intermodulation?

cheers!

Obsolete
    Best practice is one driver per volume. We've gone over this dozens of times.

My room is 90`L x 50`W. These cabinets will be going across the room from me, 2 on the Surf Av end of the room, the other two at the back end of the room. Both will be firing the width, not the length of my room, short throw.

Giskard, when you say play with the frequency at which mutual coupling occurs, do you mean space the area between the cabinets? Please elaborate, I want to understand this more. I intended to stack 2 cabinets, 1 ontop of the other. Is there a better way? Possibly side by side?

Also, are there any advantages to putting the cabinet that sits on the floor on spikes? I have read so much about this, but have no idea if this works for what Im doing.
    scottyj

Obsolete
    do you mean space the area between the cabinets?
    Yes. You are simply adjusting the distance between the pairs of woofers. The farther apart they are the lower the frequency at which they start to couple.
    are there any advantages to putting the cabinet that sits on the floor on spikes?
    I used spikes with my 4430's and the difference was significant. Several years ago during a move I decided that I didn't want to hassle with setting up the spikes at the new house. That lasted about a week. I don't think spikes are going to work with the weight you are dealing with unless you use a bunch of them.

Interesting! I can play with this, till I get what I think sounds the best, I have the room to do it too!

Then, have spacers built to sit in between the top and bottom cabs. Ill have to order some spike sets, would rather do this before I put em in place! Dont really want to be lifting these too many times. My back will thank me.

I will definitely play with this one! Thank you for the info,
    scottyj

Thread Information