Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2242H Subs for Big Bass

2242H Subs for Big Bass

Here are four dual 2242 cabs that I built for our friend Scott Fitlin. They will be used to blast a bit of extra bottom end into his Coney Island bumper car ride. Since they will not need to be loaded into trucks every day going to different venues we pulled out all the stops and built the hell out of these boxes. These cabinets loaded with the woofers are well over 350lbs each! As many DIYers know MDF is an excellent speaker box material as it is self damping (non-resonant). The only thing wrong with it is that it is about as structural as a wet noodle. This becomes more of an issue as the box grows in size. Internal bracing helps, but to maximize the sonic impact at low frequencies we decided to build the box with a double walled construction. The interior layer is 3/4" MDF that is constrained by an exterior layer of 3/4" Finply. The 13 ply all birch Finply is extremely stiff. The combination of the two materials gives us a cabinet that while too heavy for many applications is nearly sonically ideal. Additionally the cabinets are braced with 1.5" X 3.5" Finply braces.

Another unique feature that we employed was to make the cabinets user tunable. Since they were being built on the West Coast for an East Coast venue, we decided to give Scott the option of tuning the bottom end for his room and taste. There are two ports per woofer chamber and we have supplied two port lengths. If two long ports are used the speakers will have maximum VLF power and low bass extension. If two short ports are used the bass becomes punchier but at the cost of VLF. It is also possible to use one long and one short for an intermediate tuning.

These subwoofers will be shipping out in the next day or two... I don't think the whales off the coast of New York will know what hit them.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MDF layer and interior bracing.

Some Pics...

The top photo with the grille removed shows the upper left port removed. On top of the cabinet are examples of the short and long ports. The last photo is a detail shot showing the port detail.

Widget

Southern California, Orange County, Huntington Beach
    beautiful, but 300 pounds!?!
    Young, but i love speakers!

Mr. Widget

How about a tall thin 2242 cab for one 2242 per cab, do you have a design?

This would be the best for my HT.

Those are awsome!!
    Always fun learning more.......

pelly3s
    I am going to have to take the trip down there and see scott and those boxes. beautiful work i must say. some of the best i have seen. what did you use to paint the boxes

Boom badda boom, Scottie! I kinda remember the posts at the beginning of the decision, but refresh me on what, if anything, these replace?

Changeable ports is a very cool feature .

General Sherman would be proud. Nice work.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    nice boxes....

you guys are so bad ass....

how much power will they be fed?

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    ...what did you use to paint the boxes
    I used an industrial coating called Zolatone. It is usually seen as a bi-colored finish, but it is available as an all black. It was popular in the 60's as an automotive trunk paint, and I've seen it on older Delta/Rockwell machinery. In the 80's it was used decoratively as a faux granite look. The stuff smells nasty and requires a pressure pot spray system... but it is really tough and gives a nice textured finish.

Widget

WOW!

Those look sharp, and kind of big! Very nice, you were spot on about the perforated grills, Widget! It makes the difference.

Yes indeed they are HEAVY, my saying is, If it Dont Weigh Enough, It Dont Play Enough! They get installed once and stay where they play, so weight isnt an issue for me!

Oh I cant weight to get them, they look superb! The varible tuning option is going to allow me to dial it in to excatly what I want it to be, this is an awesome user option to be able to have!

I feel em, and hear em already, THANK YOU Widget! You make the best things!

scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    Boom badda boom, Scottie! I kinda remember the posts at the beginning of the decision, but refresh me on what, if anything, these replace?
    These 4 double 18in cabinets will be replacing my four single 18in J Horns.

The J Horns are MASSIVE folded horns standing up, firing down onto a scoop extension! They are HUGE, put out a tremendous amount of output, with relatively little power, but, they are muddy sounding, and lack the articulation I must have in my bottom end! One thing is that they stand 7ft tall, and no matter what, they are always at ear level, and the woofers they were made for are NLA. And nothing but what they were made for works quite right in them.

But I liked the AMOUNT of bottom end. So, what to do? Make boxes designed for the premium sub bass drivers made today, use quality amps that will drive them to satisfactory level, and have GREAT sub bass.

I love my JBL 2240 loaded corner scoops, so IMHO, if I had boxes made for the JBL 2242, I would have proper sounding low end with these too! I have heard the 42, its an outstanding woofer. Has that transient snap, kick, extension, power handling and pretty bulletproof!

I will determine what powers them when they get here and I will try several amps! Crest, and Crown! Whatever works and sounds best wins!

scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv
    nice boxes....

you guys are so bad ass....

how much power will they be fed?
    Not sure yet!

Thinking about maybe using a Crest 9001, 4 drivers per channel, 2ohm load, 825 watts per woofer?

Could also use two crown macro tech 3600,s, one box per channel!

Or 2 crest 8001,s.

Gotta see what sounds best to me in this room!
    scottyj

Widget,

Would enclosure walls of Plywood/MDF be a better choice for DIY speakers than veneered MDF? I'm thinking of using 1/2" veneered plywood glued to 1/2" MDF instead of 1" MDF. What's your opinion?

Another question. My box program doesn't seem to make any adjustments to Vb to compensate for braces. Is this because the "virtual volume" created by the fiberglass stuffing offsets the volume taken by the braces? If this is so, it seems a little inexact to me. How do you compensate for the bracing? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    ...you were spot on about the perforated grills, Widget! It makes the difference.
    They look much nicer in person... reducing the picture size to fit the forum messes up the look of the perf.

Widget

Thread Information