Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2242H Subs for Big Bass

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2242H Subs for Big Bass

Here are four dual 2242 cabs that I built for our friend Scott Fitlin. They will be used to blast a bit of extra bottom end into his Coney Island bumper car ride. Since they will not need to be loaded into trucks every day going to different venues we pulled out all the stops and built the hell out of these boxes. These cabinets loaded with the woofers are well over 350lbs each! As many DIYers know MDF is an excellent speaker box material as it is self damping (non-resonant). The only thing wrong with it is that it is about as structural as a wet noodle. This becomes more of an issue as the box grows in size. Internal bracing helps, but to maximize the sonic impact at low frequencies we decided to build the box with a double walled construction. The interior layer is 3/4" MDF that is constrained by an exterior layer of 3/4" Finply. The 13 ply all birch Finply is extremely stiff. The combination of the two materials gives us a cabinet that while too heavy for many applications is nearly sonically ideal. Additionally the cabinets are braced with 1.5" X 3.5" Finply braces.

Another unique feature that we employed was to make the cabinets user tunable. Since they were being built on the West Coast for an East Coast venue, we decided to give Scott the option of tuning the bottom end for his room and taste. There are two ports per woofer chamber and we have supplied two port lengths. If two long ports are used the speakers will have maximum VLF power and low bass extension. If two short ports are used the bass becomes punchier but at the cost of VLF. It is also possible to use one long and one short for an intermediate tuning.

These subwoofers will be shipping out in the next day or two... I don't think the whales off the coast of New York will know what hit them.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MDF layer and interior bracing.

Some Pics...

The top photo with the grille removed shows the upper left port removed. On top of the cabinet are examples of the short and long ports. The last photo is a detail shot showing the port detail.

Widget

Southern California, Orange County, Huntington Beach
    beautiful, but 300 pounds!?!
    Young, but i love speakers!

Mr. Widget

How about a tall thin 2242 cab for one 2242 per cab, do you have a design?

This would be the best for my HT.

Those are awsome!!
    Always fun learning more.......

pelly3s
    I am going to have to take the trip down there and see scott and those boxes. beautiful work i must say. some of the best i have seen. what did you use to paint the boxes

J.A.F.S.

Question My 2245H enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    MDF layer and interior bracing.
    Nice box Widget!
    I am building an enclosure for two 2245H's (24 cu ft) - essentially two times the size of Greg Timber's 12 cu ft box, tuned to 20Hz. I am planning to NOT separate the enclosure into two partitions like you did here.

Is there any particular reason that you partitioned your enclosure? Reduction of cross driver intermodulation?

cheers!

Obsolete
    Best practice is one driver per volume. We've gone over this dozens of times.

J.A.F.S.

Question Specific reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Best practice is one driver per volume. We've gone over this dozens of times.
    What is the specific reason?

OH BOY!

Going to JFK to pick up the subs, they will be in my possesion in an hour or two!

Todays Wedensday, should have em working by tomorrow, move some air this weekend!

We even got the good truck with the big liftgate. 2000lbs? Feh, no problema.

scottyj

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by loach71
    What is the specific reason?
    Minimize transducer interaction. It's a "best practice" as opposed to a deal breaker or show stopper. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Port material??

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Here are four dual 2242 cabs that I built for our friend Scott Fitlin. They will be used to blast a bit of extra bottom end into his Coney Island bumper car ride. Since they will not need to be loaded into trucks every day going to different venues we pulled out all the stops and built the hell out of these boxes. These cabinets loaded with the woofers are well over 350lbs each! As many DIYers know MDF is an excellent speaker box material as it is self damping (non-resonant). The only thing wrong with it is that it is about as structural as a wet noodle. This becomes more of an issue as the box grows in size. Internal bracing helps, but to maximize the sonic impact at low frequencies we decided to build the box with a double walled construction. The interior layer is 3/4" MDF that is constrained by an exterior layer of 3/4" Finply. The 13 ply all birch Finply is extremely stiff. The combination of the two materials gives us a cabinet that while too heavy for many applications is nearly sonically ideal. Additionally the cabinets are braced with 1.5" X 3.5" Finply braces.

Another unique feature that we employed was to make the cabinets user tunable. Since they were being built on the West Coast for an East Coast venue, we decided to give Scott the option of tuning the bottom end for his room and taste. There are two ports per woofer chamber and we have supplied two port lengths. If two long ports are used the speakers will have maximum VLF power and low bass extension. If two short ports are used the bass becomes punchier but at the cost of VLF. It is also possible to use one long and one short for an intermediate tuning.

These subwoofers will be shipping out in the next day or two... I don't think the whales off the coast of New York will know what hit them.

Widget
    What materials were used to make the ports? I hav ea pair of JBL E-155's and I would like to build a pair of single woffer cabs that are ported.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by JBLBob View Post
    What materials were used to make the ports? I hav ea pair of JBL E-155's and I would like to build a pair of single woffer cabs that are ported.
    Black painted 6" PVC for some and 6" black ABS for others...

Widget

What does ABS stand for? Not antilock brakes i assume.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

ABS

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    What does ABS stand for? Not antilock brakes i assume.

-Tim
    Acrylnitril-Butadien-Styrol-Copolymerisat

Ruediger

Thread Information