Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: iPod/iTunes Users Thread

I was trying to find a picture...

I searched everywhere and couldn't come up with a photo. Thanks! Free CAT-scans, too?

RIP 2009
    Quote from article: "The system includes four aluminum-domed Odyssey(R) full-range drivers, which are driven by powerful neodymium magnets, for superior dynamic range. Further, the low-frequency driver is capable of peak-to-peak travel of nearly one inch, providing astonishing and accurate bass reproduction."

Where in that little unit can they even place a speaker with 1" travel??

John

My Kensington iPod Stereo Dock from Buy.com showed up UPS this morning. That "free shipping" got it to me less than two days from when I placed the order. I ordered on-line late Monday evening, got a confirmation of the order from the site within minutes, and in less than twelve hours got an "order shipped" notification. The Dock was delivered to my doorstep within 36 hours of my placing the order. I've printed off the rebate form and it will be in the mail today. If anyone's interested in seeing what this thing really looks like, just let me know. I'll not clog this thread with any more photos if no one is interested. So far it looks to be as nice as advertised. Cool deal for $27.99, shipping included. As a reminder, current rebate offer expires 5/14. See back a few posts for details.

Interesting info on the packaging:
    • 5-year warranty, free tech support, and 800 number included
    • "Includes 7-ft gold-plated RCA output cable"
    • "Add the iPod to your home system*. (*Requires a home stereo. iPod not included.)"

Damn, I thought they'd at least include the iPod and a home stereo for $30!

-Phil

iTunes sux

got my nano about a year ago. Had Worked for intel and used a PC since DOS 3.0 . Fairly PC literate.

cant stand iTunes. Its doesnt do what you want and does do things you dont want. Its only real advantage is that it will detect firmware upgrades for your Apple player. It also must have Quicktime installed ( 85mb) to run. YUK !!!

went looking for an alternative..auditioned many different SW. Settled on one and havnt looked back. its called "Mediamonkey" and is freeware.
    ( www.mediamonkey.com) . works with iPods and almost every other player. Love it.

TOM

Thumbs up Great tip follow up

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA
    My Kensington iPod Stereo Dock from Buy.com showed up UPS this morning. That "free shipping" got it to me less than two days from when I placed the order. I ordered on-line late Monday evening, got a confirmation of the order from the site within minutes, and in less than twelve hours got an "order shipped" notification. The Dock was delivered to my doorstep within 36 hours of my placing the order. I've printed off the rebate form and it will be in the mail today. If anyone's interested in seeing what this thing really looks like, just let me know. I'll not clog this thread with any more photos if no one is interested. So far it looks to be as nice as advertised. Cool deal for $27.99, shipping included. As a reminder, current rebate offer expires 5/14. See back a few posts for details.

Interesting info on the packaging:
    • 5-year warranty, free tech support, and 800 number included
    • "Includes 7-ft gold-plated RCA output cable"
    • "Add the iPod to your home system*. (*Requires a home stereo. iPod not included.)"

Damn, I thought they'd at least include the iPod and a home stereo for $30!

-Phil
    Hey Phil

I want to follow up with a big thanks for this tip. I purchased three of the Kensington iPod Stereo Docks. Now that I'm nearly four months into using them, I have a really good vibe from the product.

They were deployed in three locations: main office, secondary office, and home. They allow me to travel with my iPod from place to place and continue listening without skipping a beat. The remotes took about 20 seconds to figure out, then worked perfectly ever since. The volume control is very nice, giving me a lot more dynamic range that just the iPod's scroll wheel.

Yes, there are a couple of limitations, but for less than $30, I'm not complaining. Once I install the iPod and select a playlist, I'm good for the day. Everything else is controlled from the remote at my desk.

Thanks again for the tip and for enhancing my iPod experience with such a handy device.
    Out.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97
    got my nano about a year ago. Had Worked for intel and used a PC since DOS 3.0 . Fairly PC literate.

cant stand iTunes. Its doesnt do what you want and does do things you dont want. Its only real advantage is that it will detect firmware upgrades for your Apple player. It also must have Quicktime installed ( 85mb) to run. YUK !!!

went looking for an alternative..auditioned many different SW. Settled on one and havnt looked back. its called "Mediamonkey" and is freeware.
    ( www.mediamonkey.com) . works with iPods and almost every other player. Love it.

TOM
    If I'm reading the site correctly, some features in the free version are time limited and others are available with the $19.95 version? Is that correct?
    Out.

mediamonkey gold

if you read their own forums , most users state there is no reason to go with the pay-for-it version.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

yes , kinda

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    If I'm reading the site correctly, some features in the free version are time limited and others are available with the $19.95 version? Is that correct?
    the MP3 encoder is 30 day limited , but then they instruct you on how to plug in a free LAME encoder to bypass limitation
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Bear in mind that if battery life is done so does the whole thing and have to throw to the bin,wife owe's one and is happy with.

Smile

I bought a replacement battery off ebay for my original, first generation iPod. It was very easy to install and cost less than ten dollars.

So my original iPod is working fine after several years.

If anyone has an iPod with a dead battery and plans to throw it away, send it to me, and I will pay the shipping.
    Out.

Hi titanium,i was talking about the brand new slim thing ,i would be glad to replace battery at this price but can't even find a hole for screwdriver,anyway i'll make a search see if there's any available on the net,that would save me from throwing it away(to you) .
    I'm kidding Titan,thx for the useful info,regards .

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    I bought a replacement battery off ebay for my original, first generation iPod. It was very easy to install and cost less than ten dollars.

So my original iPod is working fine after several years.

If anyone has an iPod with a dead battery and plans to throw it away, send it to me, and I will pay the shipping.

Smile

Oh, maintenant je le comprends.
    Out.

Thumbs up JBL Radial

Here's a review of four iPod docking speaker units. The JBL Radial comes out as a) the most expensive and b) the best.

http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2006/...php?lsrc=plrss
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Southern California, Orange County, Huntington Beach
    Since its 4am in the morning where im at, and at this point i wish i saw this thread earlier,

Has anyone taken a look at Creative's Zen offerings?
    http://www.creative.com/products/pro...&product=14331

First of all, Best sound quality, from the makers of your sound card (I do hope you dont use standard motherboard intergrated audio)

2nd. The screen displays a wider range of colors then the Ipod

3rd it supports more media types, and
    Rhapsody to go service which lets you add unlimited songs from a collection of nearly 2 million difference songs from the rhapsody service,

I have an ipod, and i use an ipod, I dont like it, Its annoying i hate how people refer to it as though it was a seperate category, my school rule book says, "No Ipods, No Mp3 Players" WHY the hell is IPOD a word of its own?

To me Ipod is like Bose, Only not do they advertise, but once you buy music from Itunes you are tied to that store, you cant use that music on players other then Ipod, When you buy a song you should be able to do as you feel free with it. It should be illegal, it isn't, but I believe it'll be broken soon.

Rhapsody is a music service that allows you access to download an unlimited amount of songs as long as your subscribed you will be able to play them and listen to them and transfer it to the creative mp3 player, and other supported players, (Not an Ipod cause they do not support WMA licensing, so they can control their market)

I do wish i found this thread earlier, I spend alot of time involving gadgets and whatever technology out there,

On a side note my music collection contains over 8,000 songs most of them mp3s that are atleast 192-320kbps only few are lower, and i have lossless in it too :P
    Young, but i love speakers!

Wink Maybe it's because it's 4 AM...

Quote Originally Posted by QwertyAccess
    Since its 4am in the morning where im at, and at this point i wish i saw this thread earlier,

Has anyone taken a look at Creative's Zen offerings?
    http://www.creative.com/products/pro...&product=14331

First of all, Best sound quality, from the makers of your sound card (I do hope you dont use standard motherboard intergrated audio)
    Zen: no stats on Web site
    iPod: 20Hz–20kHz.
    Since you made the claim, can you post a link?

2nd. The screen displays a wider range of colors then the Ipod
    Zen: 262,144 colors in a 320x240 2.5" TFT display
    iPod 65,000+ colors in a 320x240 2.5" Transflective display

3rd it supports more media types, and
    Rhapsody to go service which lets you add unlimited songs from a collection of nearly 2 million difference songs from the rhapsody service,
    Zen audio: MP3, WMA (inc MS PD DRM), WAV
    Zen video: DivX™ 4 & 5 (if they are encoded as standard MPEG-4 Simple (SP) or Advanced Simple Profile (ASP) without GMC support), XviD5, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG4-SP, WMV9, Motion-JPEG
    iPod audio: AAC, Protected AAC (from iTunes Music Store), MP3, MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV
    iPod video: H.264 video up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

The iPod supports many more media types and is far superior in this respect. Also, your claim about Rhapsody is not a plus. The service is average, nothing more, and does not represent an advantage.

I have an ipod, and i use an ipod, I dont like it, Its annoying i hate how people refer to it as though it was a seperate category, my school rule book says, "No Ipods, No Mp3 Players" WHY the hell is IPOD a word of its own?
    Is this really worth pointing out? Interestingly, in the next two quotes, you try to claim one of its defects is that the iPod IS a separate category and doesn't play well with others.

To me Ipod is like Bose, Only not do they advertise, but once you buy music from Itunes you are tied to that store, you cant use that music on players other then Ipod, When you buy a song you should be able to do as you feel free with it. It should be illegal, it isn't, but I believe it'll be broken soon.
    I don't think Bose ties your music to Bose only systems, does it? Maybe that's not what you meant, but it's what you wrote.

I've used the music I got from iTunes on my car radio, on my stereos and HT systems at home, and on an Archos player my GF has. I can burn it to CDs and play it in CD and DVD players. Many people who make this claim have never actually tried to do this. It's easy and doesn't take a smart person to do it.

Rhapsody is a music service that allows you access to download an unlimited amount of songs as long as your subscribed you will be able to play them and listen to them and transfer it to the creative mp3 player, and other supported players, (Not an Ipod cause they do not support WMA licensing, so they can control their market)
    As I wrote above, Rhapsody is an average service, nothing special. It is compatible with Mac and Windows, but US only. It uses the proprietary and closed Microsoft DRM and only accesses 20-25% of MP3 players sold in the US today.

I have used most of the services that compete with iTunes. Except for eMusic, I think they aren't worth my time. I've downloaded hundreds of songs legally through these services and they all reside and play on my iPod, so I don't know why you think they won't.

If you like the subscription model, that's fine. I think it's a waste of money.

I do wish i found this thread earlier, I spend alot of time involving gadgets and whatever technology out there,

On a side note my music collection contains over 8,000 songs most of them mp3s that are atleast 192-320kbps only few are lower, and i have lossless in it too :P
    That's a nice sized collection. Are those all songs you bought, or are some of them subscription songs that will disappear if you miss a payment? If you do miss a payment, when you reactivate your subscription, will your songs reload automatically, do you have to download them all over again, or are they still there on your player taking up space but just not playable until you pay?
    Out.

Thread Information