Ken
    if I get to be on top.
    Out.

awsome post Ti

morbo is with you

more to life than making money!

morbo is pleased!

im glad im not the only one here doing selfless kinda stuff
    sounds like yours is tougher than mine though!
    i think karma is kool
    prolly what keeps me on this planet as some1 who should be dead about 5 times
    i was blown up(by a detonator) and put through a car windscreen when i was a kid (2 diffrent stayes in hospital) and alot of learing to walk
    and havnt had a real easy life by most peoples standards(that i know anyway).
    and i know if it wasn`t for my stepfather teaching me about moto`s, electronics, and music i would prolly be in jail now

so a big thumbs up dood

thats some mighty fine work your doin (never mind the pics posted here)not to insult any one but its just all a luxery!

venting my spleen

morbo!
    http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

Ipod nice

FWIW, I have an original Ipod and never have had any kind of trouble. It also works fine as portable storage and appears to be pretty idiot proof.

http://hifiipod.streamlinenettrial.co.uk/

Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB: +0.02, -0.10
    Noise level, dB (A): -105.8
    Dynamic range, dB (A): 86.5
    THD, %: 0.0095
    IMD + Noise, %: 0.015
    Stereo crosstalk, dB: -104.9 (graph not shown below)
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    John Nebel

Nice post, John and great Link!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Here are a couple more points in your matrix. My wife (52) got the 30 gig ipod and my daughter (20) the 60 gig. My wife uses her's for music and audio books. She has it tied into her car sound system so she can listen to books while driving. My daughter uses her's for music and pictures. She already has something like 20 gigs used. They are relatively simple to use and installed easily on a couple Dell's at home. My daughter also uploads and downloads while at friends houses that also have ipods. As for me, I'm a vinyl guy and as for digital that all gets played on my Shanling.

Quote Originally Posted by John Nebel
    FWIW, I have an original Ipod and never have had any kind of trouble. It also works fine as portable storage and appears to be pretty idiot proof.
    John, thanks for the post. I see your in Colorado! Do me a favor and run over to Boulder Amplifiers and tell them to get the rag out! I am chomping at the bit to hear these using only Boulder amps.

Seriously, an interesting post and link.

Ken

Archos XS100

I bought the above.

Thanks to everyone for the passionate and spirited answer's to my enquiry. I feel like a shit disturber sometime?

Ken

- If I was PC based & considering an iPod ( & hooked up with a DSL connection ) , I would go to this Apple link and download the latest iTunes software ( 6.0 at this writing ) .

- Having this software on your computer will allow one to determine if the iPod software & the computers' ( CD ) hardware is compatible. I'd certainly check this before buying an iPod ( or any other PMA for that matter ) . As earlier mentioned, some users' CD-RW & DVD-R drives might not be recognized by the software. This would make the whole enterprise of ripping ones' favourite CDs' to MP3 file , impossible.
    - Of course, this same caution applies to any MP3 player on the market.
    - What's the typical "free" PC "ripping software" ? / and where can it be downloaded ?

- I'm pretty well a committed Mac fan. So business wise , I'm not likely to ever change. The reason ? It's the one platform that seems to be consistantly ignored by virus writers and their evil cohorts . .
    - Here's the link to the Mac mini. For my purposes it's small enough to be classified as a portable ( just add the screen and keyboard ). I think a G4 is roughly compatible with the older P4 chip .

Attached Images Attached Images  

Arrow iPod/iTunes Users Thread

We've had references to iPods in many threads, even Bo's poll (iPod Poll). Comments good and bad flowed back and forth. The point of this thread is to give actual iPod and iTunes users a place to exchange information, ideas, experiences, and tips.

If you want to take a shot at iPods, iTunes, or their users, please start a separate thread. Thank you.

Here's an interesting article from Stereophile about the iPod and the new iPod Hi-Fi.

http://www.stereophile.com/news/030606menace/

Today I bought my third iPod, a 512MB iPod Shuffle. I'll use this for the ol' treadmill, weight lifting, and aerobic work. I find the bulk of the other iPods to be distracting, and the screen is a nuisance in this application. The feather light, screenless iPod Shuffle should fill the bill nicely.

My iPod universe currently contains a 1G (5GB) iPod on loan to my GF, an iPod Photo (30GB), and the new iPod Shuffle. I have an iPod Dock for my main system, and an Airport Express on the main system to stream music from iTunes on my PowerBook to the FAP T1+, FAA1000.5 (two of them) and JBL Performance Series. At work, I've got the JBL Creature II hooked into my PowerBook for iTunes play, and an iPod Dock direct into the Carver, Soundcraftsmen, and JBL 4430/B360 system.

In the shop/garage I use the Griffin iTrip to broadcast to the three receivers there when running the various speakers, and on the road the iTrip does its duty there as well.
    Out.

iPod and Apple Lossless

I've been using a 3rd Generation 40GB iPod for over two years. Everything I've transferred from my CD collection was transferred at Apple Lossless rate. Because of the bigger file sizes with Apple Lossless, I'm only able to load about 1100 songs onto the 40GB hard drive, vs 10,000 if I had recorded using the common MP3 format. With Apple Lossless, though, I'm able to get quality which is virtually the same as the original CD. I know I'll get arguments here. But let me clarify. Apple Lossless is not an identical copy of the CD but it approximates it so closely it is virtually the same. I'm sure there are audiophiles out there that can tell the difference but 99% of the time my old ears can't. And even then I have to really concentrate to hear any difference.

So far Apple's main focus with the iPod has ben the Gen X and Gen Y crowd. The fact that Apple Lossless became available at all was probably a fluke since nothing else Apple has done seems to cater to the high end crowd. I'm hoping, though, that someday Apple will offer an iPod with features aimed at the audiophile crowd.

By transferring all my best music to the iPod, it has allowed me to carry my music wherever I go and play CD quality music on whatever system I have an iPod dock hooked up to. I have a dock hooked up to every system I have, playing 4343's (living room), 240Ti's (office in the Bay Area), 120Ti's (bedroom), XPL200's and 4412's (Garage). When I fly anywhere, I use a pair of Etymotic earphones. To me, the convenience of carrying my music collection, in near CD quality, with me wherever I go is enough to forego that last 1% of music quality that Apple Lossless gives up.

Smile porschedpm

What do you like about the Etymotic headphones? IMO the Apple earbuds are the weakest part of the package.
    Out.

I have the Etymotic ER-4P. At the time I purchased them they were the most highly regarded earphone on Headfi.org for their sound quality. Headfi.org is a forum dedicated to portable music sources and headphones. About a year after I purchased the Etymotics, the Shure E5C came out which reviewers on Headfi seem to prefer. Here is a link to a review of both on Headfi:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74816

In general I like the Etymotics for their sound quality-I think there's adequate, if not neutral, bass and good detail in the mids and highs. I especially like their ability to block out outside noise. I have on more than a few occasions sat next to crying infants on flights. With the music on even at a low to medium setting I don't even hear the kid enough so I'm able to sleep (I never listen to headphones real loud because of possible hearing loss). I also like their small size. Not only the fact that they take up very little room in my briefcase (much less than the noise cancelling headphones) but when they're in my ears, about 75% of the time the flight attendants pass me by when they're telling people to turn off electronics in preparation for landing. They must think they're just earplugs. I usually don't get away with it before take off, but it doesn't take that long to get to 10,000 feet versus they'll tell passengers to stow their electronics 30 -45 mins before actually touching down. I've read the reviews on the Shures but I like my Etymotics enough and I don't think there are enough differences that I'm not willing to trade them in.....yet.

Smile Album Art

Since I got the iPod Photo many moons ago, I've been trying to get album art, since there's so much unused space on the HD. Of course, whatever you download from iTunes brings the art with it, but most of my stuff is downloaded legally off other sites or ripped from my own CDs or LPs.

I can't get much help for my LPs except to indivually search out the art on the Internet, but I've got a couple of friends when it comes to CD art. Since these are Dashboard Widgets, they only work on Mac OS X versions that support Widgets.

http://www.widget-foundry.com/widgets/amazonart.htm

http://www.liquidx.net/albumartwidget/

Does anyone have any Windows software that does the same thing?
    Out.

Thread Information