Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iPod/iTunes Users Thread

Son wants iPod for Christmas???

Could someone send me in the right direction as I don't know a damned thing about these?

Thanks
    Ken

Go to the Apple site and read. Don't buy an imitation. Bought one for our younger son last year. Order early.

David

This is probably what you want...

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

Thumbs up Get refurbs, save money; love the 'Pod!

I own a lot of Apple gear and have frequently bought refurbs. Original packaging and warranty applies. Look like brand new. Never had a single problem.

Of course, YMMV.

Scroll about halfway down the page linked below for the iPods. Look at the "Apple Certified Refurbished iPod with color display" models. They'll kick the iPon Nano's ass, but they're not as cute. However, they have bigger screens and much higher capacity, and they're priced better as refurbs..

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....3.1.1.0?90,50
    Out.

Smile Windows guy

BTW Ken, I remember you as a Windows guy, so if your son is too, he'll need to have iTunes installed on his computer. This is not a big deal, and lots of Windows machines have it pre-installed. The Compaq/HP laptop I bought my GF had it already.

It's a nice music management app, and it gives you lots of choices for ripping and encoding files. I've encoded my "audition tracks" in lossless and take the iPod around when checking out speakers and other gear.

I've got songs, photos, my calendar, contacts, audio books, and to do lists on mine. I took it to my GF's college graduation and uploaded photos into it and ran a sweet musical slide show off it at the reception. Major points, Bud, major points.

Someday I'll buy the video capable iPod that just came out so I can watch the Simpsons, Futurama, and Family Guy when Fox starts to sell them at the iTunes Store. Woo hoo!
    Out.

I appreciate the help guys.

Ken

Archos

Hey, Ken...

I'd suggest a lookie at these: http://www1.archos.com/home.html?cul...try=us&lang=en

I've got the Gmini 200 - 20 Gbyte monster. Reads .wav, .mp3, etc. - no special formatting required. I pay Steve Jobs nuthin'...

Easy to load, works EXTREMELY well. Taken it to South Africa, Russia, Japan, anywhere. Fits inside the Bose Quiet2 headphone case...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Smile Archos

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    (snip)I've got the Gmini 200 - 20 Gbyte monster. Reads .wav, .mp3, etc. - no special formatting required(snip)
    That's a nice unit that does MP3, WMA and WAV files. I guess the WMA is the "etc." The Apple won't do WMA, but it will do AAC, AIFF, Apple Lossless, MP3, and WAV. So, Bo I'm not sure what your "special formatting" comment is meant to imply. I'm pretty sure WAV, AIFF, MP3, and AAC are industry standards. Apple Lossless and WMA are not, though both Apple and Microsoft would like to make them so.

This part from the Archos site is misleading (but typical of MP3 player claims):

Rip :
    Easily record and transfer up to 500 CDs1 on the Gmini XS200
    Plays MP3, WMA and WAV files
    Rock :
    Listen and store up to 10,0001 of your favorite songs
    Roll :
    Take your Gmini XS200 anywhere and listen for up to 10 hours with its long-life Li Ion battery.
    What's with the extra 1s in the above quote? Well, they should be superscript but I guess the forum doesn't support them. Anyway, Archos comes clean in footnote #1 at the bottom:

1 On average. Music capacity based on 3.5 minutes per song and 64 kbps WMA encoding. For better quality 128 Kbit/s encoding or more recommended.
    If you want listenable music, then cut the numbers in half or more: 250 CD and 5,000 songs. That's still a lot, so why not just say so?

I don't know about anyone else, but 192 kbps is the minimum I'd use, and even tin-eared people can tell the difference between 64 and 128, so 128 kbps is the floor as far as I'm concerned. Apple's storage figures are based on 128 kbps.

Also, there's this little detail:

Gmini XS 200: 20GB Pocket Audio Player
    Part No. 500669
    In Stock: No
    There might be some in the retail supply chain, though, where you could check one out where you could compare apples to Apples.
    Out.

Will check it out Bo

Thanks

Ti...

Not sure what all your points are - except that I'm stupid - but regardless what I MEANT was, the Archos plays anything and does not require signing onto, or paying any one source. It's open. It's easy.

I had zero trouble finding mine, so that point is moot, too. But, whatever... :dont-know
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Bo

I found the Gmini XS 200 at Amazon for 174.00 with free shipping. Seems reasonable. Will search around a little more. I really do appreciate all the opinions guys.

Turns out Julie wants one as well.

Ken

Well, I'm not real smart, so it worked good for me. It is basically an outboard HD, that has audio software on it. Slick as deer guts, man. I've put all manner of data on mine, at times, not just music. It has huge capacity at 20 Gb - you can decide your own format. I intermix between .wav's and .mp3's - depends on whether I care to convert.

I'm sure all these are very comparable - isn't that their intention? - and you should chose on form and function, and whether you want to deal with Apple, after market. You do not have to deal with Archos after market.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    'Son Wants an Ipod for Christmas'
    Hi, Ken. It sounds like your son asked specifically for an iPod. I'm afraid if your son is like mine, nothing but the iPod will do. If however he asked for an MP3 player, not specifically an iPod, there are several to choose from that have features as good and sometimes better than the iPod. But the last I heard the iPod holds about 80% of the MP3 player market. So the iPod is the player most buyers are choosing. Regardless of which player you go with you may first want to determine how much music your son has. If he has 100's of CD's the he may want a 20 or 30GB player. If he has 50 or so CD's then maybe a 4 or 5GB player will do. You should also consider how discriminating a listener he is. I'd say most people store music on their players at 128Kbps. But at that bit rate, a discriminating listener can hear the difference the CD and the MP3. Songs stored at 256 become harder to tell the difference but use twice as much disc space. Apple Lossless is supposed to be indiscernable from the CD but uses 4 to 5 storage space. Think of the old reel-to-reels. Albums recorded at 3-3/4ips were close to the original album but not quite identical. 7-1/2ips got you close and good enough for most listening. And 15ips got you so close most couldn't tell the difference between the tape and the album. I have a 40GB iPod that I have stored all songs at Apple Lossless and have a little over 1000 songs on it. I can't hear a difference. If you're looking at iPods here's the iPod line up:

iPod Shuffle........512kb........ $ 99....... holds 125 songs at 128kbps
    iPod Shuffle...........1GB........ $ 129......holds 250 songs
    iPod Nano..............2GB........ $ 199......holds 500 songs
    iPod Nano..............4GB........ $ 249......holds 1000 songs
    iPod....................30GB........ $ 299......holds 7500 songs
    iPod....................60GB........ $ 399......holds 15000 songs

The 30GB and 60GB models now also have the capability to store video clips and pictures in addition to music. So lots of decisions for you to make. You may want to ask your son if it was specifically an iPod he wants and if so which model he had in mind. Hope this helps.

Ed

porschedpm is right. I went through the same thing with my daughter. I bought her a great "Brand X" and she's had it for a year. She's graduating from college this December and took my wife aside and asked her specificaly for an Ipod. The kids all use it and the learning curve is low when all your frieinds have one. I know Bo and he's a guru when it comes to the Tech stuff as well as the other posters. This is one area where you will find that this is kind of a cult thing with the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by porschedpm
    Hi, Ken. It sounds like your son asked specifically for an iPod. I'm afraid if your son is like mine, nothing but the iPod will do.
    I am not a father, well at least as far as anyone has told me... but I do recall being a teenager and having the right brand of shoes, pants etc. meant everything... it isn't rational, but then I hear there is a group of old farts that have a ridiculous fascination with a certain brand of loudspeakers...

Widget

Thread Information