Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its all in the marketing!

Nightbrace

Its all in the marketing!

Thought I'd repost an earlier thread response:

"Its more the media and marketing that drives sales in both the recordings of the actual music and the equipment used to reproduce it. Why do you think the IPOD is so popular, because it sounds the best?

The competition in the 70's was fierce and it forced companies to build equipment with higher quality in order to compete. Now it comes down to what is marketed better, have you paid attention to the number of ads running for the Bose systems, I think its a joke, but then again I see a lot of my friends who have them and go nuts for them, and even show them off to me.

My generation is ignorant to what is out there, not so much because we don't want to have great sounding gear, but because most people my age view the Best Buy equipment as GREAT, I was one of them, but once I heard the Marantz 2226 with the Altec 19's I was hooked. Unfortunatly, most people from my generation aren't that lucky and would not even consider buying something that was made 30+ years ago.

Most of my friends know about stores like Tweeter that sell higher end gear, and a few of my buddies have decent systems, but the problem is that no one today can afford to spend the money needed to experience what you (baby-boomers) experienced when you were younger. There is just nothing out there marketed to the average consumer and sold at a reasonable price to open the door for those interested in experienceing a true Hi-fidelity system.

Not that the equipment and speakers in your time was cheap, it was most certainly not, but even the lowest model would sound fantastic compared to what is out there today/ Many of the entry level speakers like the Dynaco A-25's, Advents, and heck even the L100's were accessible to the average consumer which allowed the market for true hi-fidelity systems to be introduced and appreciated by the masses.

This is especially true for speakers, none can be bought for under $1000 to rival even my L36's. So how else is someone supposed to know what they are missing if they truly can't afford it, or have no way of finding out what they are missing when they are content with headphones and MP3's? I read in my newspaper, The Daily Illini (University of Illinois), in a blind trial with identical stereo systems, I don't remember the equipment used, but less than 10% could tell any difference between a MP3 and a CD. Its amazing what marketing can do to brainwash us all."

The reason I have an iPod is that I can put a huge amount of my music collection in one small pocket-sized device and play it back at will. I use it mostly in the car/truck when I travel out of town, but there are times when I am at work and need to cover the sounds from the adjacent cubicle. I rarely use it at home when I can play the Lps or CDs on my main system. And I use an older set of Sony MDR-V4 Digital Monitor headphones, not those silly earbud things.

I think for most people the current sound systems are a matter of convenience - ease of use in a small package. For them, the music doesn't matter - its just filler, background noise.

We are audio snobs - for us it DOES matter! We want to hear all the different ways to hear music - we want to taste the colour of an 8" low low-mid driver, the sizzle of the slot tweeter and hear titanium domes sing.

Part of it may be the difference in music - in the 70s there was an amazing variety of stuff on FM radio. Now - its all NPR and Clear Channel - so there's not the same drive to own killer sound systems for the likes of Brittney, Jessica (& Ashley) and Eminem ...

Heather

Nightbrace
    There are many people using the IPOD and laptops for their MAIN system. In fact many newer receivers have inputs that accept laptops and IPODs/ I understand their purpose, but for a serious listening system the MP3 format is very unappealing and very thin sounding. But I guess to each his own.

norealtalent
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames
    We want to hear... titanium domes sing. ...
    Reminds me of the old Coke jingle about teaching the world to sing "in perfect harmony," fortunately, 'Dome only sings in the shower and I can't hear the Titanium shrieking 3000 miles away. (All in fun my Friends)

Quote Originally Posted by nightbrace
    snip...'how else is someone supposed to know what they are missing if they truly can't afford it, or have no way of finding out what they are missing when they are content with headphones and....'
    Headphones ARE the salvation for those less financially fortunate. A great pair of headphones will rival all but the best speakers in the best environment. $300 can really get you off. (Obviously the source material should be pretty good, too.)

When I was audio poor, I loved discovering the headphone jack quality of various thrift store integrated amps/receivers. I had (at one time) a pair of vintage stax, grado, HD280 seinns, vintage pioneer, and vintage audio techs. I was quite a headphone junkie. Quality used headphones used to be available everywhere; I don't know if that's still the case. People need to rediscover what a good pair of headphones can do.

Nightbrace
    I have a pair of Koss PRO/4AA's, they sound fantastic. I doubt ear bud headphones for the IPOD sound anywhere near as good as even the most modest JBL speaker system.

I don't know about that. Some of those earbud headphones they make now are supposed to be very high end. Shure makes a pair retailing at a hefty sum. Why? Must be something to it...

I'm down to one pair of headphones- Grado SR325i's (newest model) connected to a dedicated homebrew headphone amp. I have heard speaker set ups that rival this rig- but not in my own home (yet). I would need to hire a personal acoustician to get the same focus I experience with my headphones.

I live in a heavily populated area and I own a row home. I can't exactly play a stereo system at high levels without being rude as hell. I do try to time the loud music just right (neighbors at work, etc). As a result- I listen to headphones a lot, and still love it.

Those who are inexperienced in hifi should just buy a good pair, and try to improve upon that when they slowly build a system of their own. Eventually, all the pieces will fall in to place- even for the poor.

clmrt
    I have a good friend here at work who used $0.99 phones jacked into her PC. For her birthday I gave her a set of my old V6's.

"My God, you can hear the bass!" she said - then I lent her my component CD player for a week, w/HP out. She was miffed when I came to take it back.

Exposing people to good audio is tough, but sweet when it takes hold.

Smile almost correct

Quote Originally Posted by norealtalent
    Reminds me of the old Coke jingle about teaching the world to sing "in perfect harmony," fortunately, 'Dome only sings in the shower and I can't hear the Titanium shrieking 3000 miles away. (All in fun my Friends)
    But Nightbrace nailed it in a way...this TD really sings when he's in the slot, so to speak.

On a more serious note, I use an iPod all the time, even at home. There's an Airport Express hooked into the FAP T1+ so I can stream iTunes direct from my PowerBook if I want, plus I have a direct input for the iPod.

At work, I've got a direct iPod input into the Carver CT-3, and it plays through the Soundcraftsmen A400 into the 4430s.

In the car, I use a Griffin iTrip, and I also use the iTrip in the shop to simultaneously send the same signal to three systems at once.

At the gym, I use the iPod headphones, which is definitely the weakest part of the experience. Otherwise, walking, traveling, sitting around, I'll use my Sennheiser headphones, and they sound just fine.

The iPod (or another player if you want one) is a great way to have music with you everywhere and to get it into just about anything. It beats the hell out of carrying around 1000 CDs and a CD player, or a regular hard drive and all the connecting cables and power supply.

Remember, it's a matter of degrees. An iPod playing Apple Lossless® won't sound as good as a CD playing through the 4430s, but it'll sound a lot better than a CD playing out of a boombox or a laptop or a Bose Acoustimass®.

When someone comes into my office while I'm playng the iPod through the 4430s, they still stop for a minute and say "That sounds great! It's better than my brother's Bose system. It must have cost a bundle," or words to that effect. I say, "Thanks," but I think, You have no idea...

If I have the time and I'm so inclined, then I'll pop in a CD and say, "Now, listen to this." But whether I do or not, they're still very impressed, because after all, it's a matter of degrees.
    Out.

norealtalent
    I admire your Spirit 'Dome, thank you Friend...

I can't do it. I, too admire your spirit 'Dome.
    Me personally: I can't listen to lower grade source material no matter how much I try. I guess I'm too critical. For example- If a radio station isn't coming in loud and clear- I'm ready to rip it out of the dash. I guess I'm an audio whackjob. Perhaps the IPod lovers like music more than I do, or perhaps they are willing to sacrifice quality for convenience. I don't know..

I know a fax machine version of a great painting does not convey the same emotion. If I have a jingle in my head, and I want to confirm that I'm programmed in to it- maybe....

Bless you all- either way. At least it's still music. And in your unique case, 'Dome- you have the JBL toys at home to back it up!

CUPERTINO, Calif. (AP) - Reaching further into living rooms, Apple Computer Inc. on Tuesday introduced a speaker system for its iPod music players and a revamped Mac Mini computer that will let users access music, video and photos across their home networks.

With the iPod Hi-Fi system _ priced at $349 _ users can dock their portable players into the speakers and use a remote control to operate it from afar. That means there's no longer a need for a cabinet full of CDs, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said during a presentation at company headquarters.

"It's home stereo reinvented for the iPod age," he said.

Nightbrace
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch

iPod Hi-Fi system

"It's home stereo reinvented for the iPod age," he said.
    An Ipod by ite very definition can never be Hi-Fi. what an age we're living in, the IPOD has its place, but it should not be the END ALL BE ALL of people's experience of music, that is what seems to be happening.

It's all going to the digital download. I'm a vinyl nut, so analog is still king in my book. HOWEVER- when these downloads get to a great high rez format, and better selection- I'm all in!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace
    An Ipod by ite very definition can never be Hi-Fi. what an age we're living in, the IPOD has its place, but it should not be the END ALL BE ALL of people's experience of music, that is what seems to be happening.
    Only if you let it happen to you. Beware of the iPod Gestapo. They're right around the corner with their sights set on you....you have no choice.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information