Thread: Electronic Crossovers ????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Electronic Crossovers ????

Anyone have experience with Electronic crossovers? I wish to bi-amp or Tri-amp my L-300's. What would I look for? What brands are best? Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

MB

Are you building new networks or modifying the originals?
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Educate Me

I was under the impression that with an electronic crossover and a separate amp for each driver I would not use the existing crossovers. Can someone explain the setup for bi-amp and electronic crossover in simplistic terms. I am not real clear how it all goes together.

MB

Ok

Analog actives don't take into acount specific driver peaks, dips or tilts in driver response a good passive will. There are times that you can't analog active biamp without the custom driver or horn tailoring that is available in a good passive design. In that case you would use both the active crossover for the basic crossover point and a passive network to provide EQ to keep the driver/driver Horn combo flat over it's passband. With digital crossovers you have the advantage of almost infinitely adapable filters that can EQ the driver in it's passband and do the basic slopes all in one. The problem there is another A/D-D/A conversion. Name your poison??

Rob

You still need to protect the 077 and LE 85's with caps if you triamp. If you don't you run the risk of killing them via groundloop hum or any other LF signal they can't handle. 20 uF is standard for the LE 85, don't know what is best for the 077.

If you Biamp you need a crossover for the LE85 and 077. This is a good way to go, but remember that 20uF for protection. I used a 3106 in a DIY biamped version a long time ago and it worked pretty well.

You may want to retain the upper end of the stock crossover since it looks like there is some contouring there. http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te...ummit%20ts.pdf
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Quote Originally Posted by mbottz
    Anyone have experience with Electronic crossovers? I wish to bi-amp or Tri-amp my L-300's. What would I look for? What brands are best? Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    Analog actives don't take into acount specific driver peaks, dips or tilts in driver response a good passive will. There are times that you can't analog active biamp without the custom driver or horn tailoring that is available in a good passive design. In that case you would use both the active crossover for the basic crossover point and a passive network to provide EQ to keep the driver/driver Horn combo flat over it's passband. With digital crossovers you have the advantage of almost infinitely adapable filters that can EQ the driver in it's passband and do the basic slopes all in one. The problem there is another A/D-D/A conversion. Name your poison??
    While Rob's post is correct, there are two additions I'd like to make. Some of the JBL networks when set to Bi-amp leave the passive contour network in place. The 4430/35 networks for example.

Secondly, the TACT and DEQX units offer preamp options so you can use them as the DAC for your digital source and then contour and muti-amp to your heart's content at very high resolution digital. If your source is analog it is digitized, but even then these units work at a high res format and are remarkably good.

I use the DEQX PDC 2.6P It is my DAC, digital crossover, digital EQ, and analog preamp all in one very good sounding package. It is a bit over $4K but considering all that it does, I think it is a bargain. It actually also offers speaker and room correction as well...

Widget

I've seen a few DEQX crossovers for sale on the diy audio forums . I don't know if thats a good or a bad thing.

I don't believe in auto active crossovers or auto equalisers unless they come with a brain implant.

If you are clever enough or can handle some maths and modelling of active filters anything that can be done in a passive network can be done with an analogue active filter and more. The problem remains none of this is plug and play and you must measure and research you drivers before considering the design of a crossover either passive or active.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    I don't believe in auto active crossovers or auto equalisers unless they come with a brain implant.

The problem remains none of this is plug and play and you must measure and research you drivers before considering the design of a crossover either passive or active.
    Agreed.

I have found that I am not thrilled with the main selling points of DEQX...the speaker and room correction bits. With speakers that need it I suppose it can be a big help. In my system, I do all of the setup manually and am quite pleased with the results. I know one fellow forum user who had been using the Behringers... after getting DEQX he was thrilled at what an improvement it made.

I use DEQX as a crossover, equalizer, DAC, and pre-amp. I don't think it is possible to get the level of sonic quality that DEQX gives you in these areas for any less than the price of DEQX and most systems at this level are considerably more. I can understand why people would get frustrated and sell their DEQXs... they can be tricky to implement. I heard a couple at last year's CES that did not sound good. In the right hands they are a wonderful and powerful tool.

One very useful feature of DEQX is that you can store 4 complete setups. This is useful in picking crossover slopes and frequencies... on the fly with the remote you can A/B a 24dB 600Hz Linkwitz Riley with an 18dB 550Hz Butterworth or a few thousand other combinations or even EQ settings. This can also be quite useful as an aid in designing passive networks.

Widget

norealtalent
    All the really great toys are soooooo much money and the difference in quality/price negates using the cheap stuff. I need a corporate sponsor...

Quote: One very useful feature of DEQX is that you can store 4 complete setups. This is useful in picking crossover slopes and frequencies... on the fly with the remote you can A/B a 24dB 600Hz Linkwitz Riley with an 18dB 550Hz Butterworth or a few thousand other combinations or even EQ settings. This can also be quite useful as an aid in designing passive networks. Mr. Widget.

All I can say to that is "wow". That's a pretty kick ass feature!!

Is it like this one? http://www.deqx.com/PDC26P-Preamp.html

I'm at a point where I want to get something like this, but I get lost in the choices. I like this concept in that I'm not married to any particular setup. And, if I find the ideal setup- I could build a passive based on that modeling (then use it on the next project) Pretty cool, if you ask me!! And the cost of configuring the seperates to do what this has integrated (I usually hate the word "integrated")- would be steep. I'm not asking for your personal review MrWidget (looks like plenty are on the net), but what sort of troubles did you encounter while 'implementing' it into your system? How did you correct it/them? Thanks!

Thread Information