Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any "sleeper" JBL speakers?

Are there any "sleeper" JBL speakers?

Do you have any recommendations for JBLs that are not in the L100/L65/4311 kind of collector frenzy realm? I'm looking for some nice classic floor standing JBLs.

Well how far back do you want to go?? From the 80's you have L100t3 which are nice. You can usually get them for a reasonable price.

Rob

In addition to the L100T3 (and L100T), the L80T3s are going pretty cheap lately on eBay.
    Paying debt to Karma...

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    Well how far back do you want to go?? From the 80's you have L100t3 which are nice. You can usually get them for a reasonable price.

Rob
    Far back enough to get real wood veneer. 60's/70's I'm open, just don't want any stamped metal baskets or vinyl veneer.

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardsweb
    Far back enough to get real wood veneer. 60's/70's I'm open, just don't want any stamped metal baskets or vinyl veneer.
    Ditto-Ditto-Ditto on the L100T's! There is no better JBL - Ebay deal out there. $200 - $500 depending on condition. The wood veneer, unfortunately, is a poor grade. However, they will blow away the L100's, L65's and 4311's.

Lancer 99's are pretty decent.

I have to second (or third, fourth) the L100t3 recomendation. They are a killer deal.

They have a nice bottom and the tweeter is one of the best sounding domes JBL made IMHO.There are a couple of threads about bypassing and charge coupling the networks if you are the DIY tweeker type.

They can always be re-veneered in the exotic wood of your choice.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

If you want nice veneer and are willing to go back a bit further in sound technology,
    the L150A's can sound very nice in a medium-to-large room... don't know if you'd
    consider L112 or L96 on stands as "floor standing", but they can both sound quite
    good as well. Don't skimp on the power or amp quality though (not that you would
    ).

-grumpy

I'm really open here. I don't have my heart set on any particular model. These will go in my back bedroom that has been converted into my audio tech room. They will be pushed with a SAE 2400 solid state amp. It was under rated from the factory, as I found out when I had it rebuilt and it pushed 275 wpc on the bench. I may bite the bullet and just buy some vintage studio monitors. Still would like to keep it under $500.

I continually see L112s for under $500. In fact there was recently a pair in the Recycler for $150. One of the local pro-audio shops in Orange CA has a pair of 4312s for $400.

XPL 140/160 are killer if you can find them in the $500 range, as are the 120Ti/240Ti.

The L5 is also a steal at $300/pair....

jblnut

Smile SVA Series

Just about any pair of SVAs can be had for under $500.

My recent purchase of SVA2100s AND an SVS Center for $460 proves that. Before that I got a pair of SVA1800s for $300, and before that another pair of SVA1800s for $165.

You gotta like the horns, though, and the Symmetrical Vertical Array dual woofer/mid design. Might be too much in a small room, as they're capable of intense sound levels.
    Out.

Hi Wardsweb,

I've posted this link before some while back. Hope this helps to give you an idea of what the others are recommending. I personally would suggest 4425's, but am not sure what they're going for in the 'used' market in the US. I'm in Japan, and here they fetch anywhere from $1000 to $2000.

http://www11.plala.or.jp/se_ke5583/JBL/speaker/

Good luck in your search.

Steve K.

I built my own 4411s because of the collector prices they fetch. I would consider building your own pair of JBL floorstanders if you have the means and tools. Every month new records are being broken on legacy JBL stuff.

I own the L100T and I don't think the veneer is horrible at all. I guess it's just a matter of opinion. COnsidering everything today is plastic and vinyl what more could you ask for?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K
    Hi Wardsweb,

I've posted this link before some while back. Hope this helps to give you an idea of what the others are recommending. I personally would suggest 4425's, but am not sure what they're going for in the 'used' market in the US. I'm in Japan, and here they fetch anywhere from $1000 to $2000.

http://www11.plala.or.jp/se_ke5583/JBL/speaker/

Good luck in your search.

Steve K.
    Thanks for the link. It really helps to know what people are talking about. From just looking at the pics, I like the looks of most anything that starts with a 43XX. The searc continues.

The Sleepers

I agree with the boys, the L100T & L100T3 are great speakers,I have a slight leaning toward the T3 as they were "re-voiced" changes to the X/over,but..........the real sleeper in my opinion is the 240ti, 14''woofer and the Rolls-Royce of titanium tweeters have a listen if you can,you willlik
    Regards
    Michael

Thread Information