Thread: Unbelievable eBay sale of JBL walnut speaker stands

Royd

Unbelievable eBay sale of JBL walnut speaker stands

norealtalent
    Auction states a "pair" and was set up as dutch, meaning, each winning bid gets a pair. High bidder specified quantity of 2 meaning he won 2 pair at $299/pair. Time will tell...

STANDS

Quote Originally Posted by norealtalent
    Auction states a "pair" and was set up as dutch, meaning, each winning bid gets a pair. High bidder specified quantity of 2 meaning he won 2 pair at $299/pair. Time will tell...
    HAHA, yes but if you look at the questions at the bottom, he states there is only one pair. Go figure huh.

The JBL un-enthusiast trying to make a quick buck. These stands are easy to make with just a table saw and belt sander.

Royd
    I agree with you that the stands can be duplicated. The question I have is regarding the JBL burn mark. How do you recreate that? If I could get my hands on the logo burner, I'd make a bunch of them and sell them on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Royd
    I agree with you that the stands can be duplicated. The question I have is regarding the JBL burn mark. How do you recreate that? If I could get my hands on the logo burner, I'd make a bunch of them and sell them on eBay.
    If you went an easier route like a high quality silkscreen, you'd save a lot of grief. Then you could sell 'em like hot cakes until (if) JBL slapped a cease and desist on you. Of course, as a discontiued product, they might not care except you'd be infringing their trademark by using the logo, and that can lead to trouble.

Getting a die made from a paper logo, having a source of heat, getting the damn thing square, equidistant, centered, and the right depth would be a royal pain. OTOH, a silkscreen and a simple jig, and BOOM! you're in business.

If you decide to pursue this using my idea, be sure to send me two sets gratis as a token of your gratitude.
    Out.

Another piece of JBL heading to Hong Kong. I don't know if the seller intentionally set it up as a dutch auction or not. The guy in Hong Kong is paying $140 more than the next highest bid because it is a dutch auction. Another set that were damaged also sold for over $100 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...855938825&rd=1

By the way, branding irons aren't rocket science. Custom made branding irons aren't that expensive. Even if JBL allowed someone to use there trademark, does anyone actually think a reproduction would sell for that much money? Hmmm . . . maybe they would pay $100

Thread Information