Thread: Woo hoo!! SR 4722 project!

Woo hoo!! SR 4722 project!

Woo hoo!!

SR 4722 project... just bought these. So I have cabinets, xovers, grilles, and cannot wait to start some assembly...
    I love the way music makes me feel.

I did the similar thing building a pair from components and parts. Love that speaker.

Ok, the 4722's are complete. I need to post pics maybe.

Upon the first listen, the highs from both speakers sounded pinched and just plain wrong. I immediately knew why... I had tried to *rescue the overcooked diaphragms in the 2416's. No love just yet. So, I had another complete 2416 that I know is good, so I installed it and attempted to rescue another cooked diaphragm for the other speaker. TaDa!!!! Success. I only have a 75 watt per channel amp available right now, can't wait to hear them with real power.

* Rescue: the 2416's, when used in a high volume (especially live sound) application, are famous for developing blisters on the inside of the coil former. The blisters increase the thickness of the former/coil, and it binds in the gap, causing the pinched sound. I read a post somewhere on this forum where someone actually sanded the blisters with sand paper, and restored the sound of the 2416, so I gave it a try. I'm semi-successful thus far! By the way, I found that an empty toilet paper tube, with 400 grit wrapped around it, is like a perfect tool for sanding the interior of the former .
    I love the way music makes me feel.

Thread Information