Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you clean L300 horn inside?

How do you clean L300 horn inside?

How do you guys clean dust/grit inside the longer horns?
    My L300's LE85/2312 horns have spidey webs and what looks like grit inside them, primarily in the silver-colored couple inches at the extreme rear in front of what appears to be a screen. A vacuum pulled out the webs but not the grit, just swirls it around. I do not want to damage the driver diaphragms with a pointy tool or push the vacuum too far in in case it hurts the driver. I don't really want to pull them apart.
    - Roy

norealtalent
    More power!!! Either to the horns or the vacuum. Try tilting the speakers forward to let gravity work in your favor.

Your local vacuum store will have this:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tmt/conyourvacto.html

I wipe mine out with a soft cloth baby diaper. I imagine that this would also be an ideal method for "baby cheeks" horns.

Quote Originally Posted by remusr
    How do you guys clean dust/grit inside the longer horns?
    My L300's LE85/2312 horns have spidey webs and what looks like grit inside them, primarily in the silver-colored couple inches at the extreme rear in front of what appears to be a screen.
    That silver colored part is the throat of the actual driver. You may have metal particles that are being held in there by the magnetic pull of the driver itself. I would pull the drivers and remove the horns. Then you should be able to clean them. If the particles won't wipe out, use masking tape and gently press it against the throat walls to pick up the crud.

Be very careful with a vacuum. The diaphragm was originally formed with a vacuum... it can easily be deformed too.

Widget

norealtalent
    Do it the fun way, MORE POWER!!!

Grit ... and LE85 support?

Grit: I threaded in a small parts magnet tool and it was unable to grab any of the grit so I'm thinking it's nonmagnetic. It also swirled around with the vac inserted so I think it's fairly lightweight, also evidence it may not be magnetic.
    - 1st try: I will get a micro vac kit tonite as recommended and give that a try - does anyone know if the screen in front of the diaphragm is very 'strong" if I bump it with the vac? Haw far in front of the diaphragm is it? Of course, I will be as careful as I can but the lighting in there ain't!
    - Fallback if I open it up - are there any things to watch for such as seals/gaskets that may need to be replaced? Loctite on the bolts?

ALSO: I notice the LE85's have approx 1/2" clear space above the cross braces. Should they be supported solidly to the brace or sit on foam or something? A lot of weight hanging on that 11.5" horn, a long way from the 3/4" baffle board with its 4 screws!

POWER: 350wpc isn't enough to get it out! it just jumps around!
    - Roy

The screen is fairly strong. The micro tool with the brush on the end will not damage it.

LE85 is supported by fiberglass insulation stuffed between it and the brace, typically.

Phase plug's behind the screen, and the diaphragm behind that....

Alex Lancaster
    The screens are delicate; with the smaller hose, the vacuum will be greater and You could deform the diaphragms; I would pull the drivers out.

I think you'd be better off removing the horn from the driver and clean them by hand ...no poking things down the throats....besides, it's easier.

Does it have a 136a or 136h and how are the foam surrounds?
    OPUS POCUS

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lancaster
    The screens are delicate; with the smaller hose, the vacuum will be greater and You could deform the diaphragms; I would pull the drivers out.
    There's a bypass on the mico tool kit suction. The chances of deforming the diaphragm are greater using a standard size tool which can close the horn throat.

Even AFTER removing the driver, you're still faced with the same problem; this is a convenient way to clean the recessed driver throat and screen....

Quote Originally Posted by remusr
    - Fallback if I open it up - are there any things to watch for such as seals/gaskets that may need to be replaced? Loctite on the bolts?

- Roy
    No LocTite on the bolts, JBL didnt use it, and neither should you. Loctite will make it very difficult to get the bolts out should you ever have to remove the driver again. NO LOCTITE!
    scottyj

Obsolete

How do you clean L300 horn inside?

I usually just task her with any items I need cleaned.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hmmmm...

OMG!! I think I need a car wash.........

Well, this won't apply here!!

Regards,

Bart
    Post whore

Thread Information