Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: CLIO Clinic

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    I gave up attempting to be a designer "Wannabee" when I first build and heard a JBL network made the right way..the 3134/3135 and 3145 new equivalent.
    That wasn't terribly long ago... don't give up, the Great Karnak says you'll be back at it.

Widget

"Repeating the measurement" with CLIO

[QUOTE=Mr. Widget]I guess they have improved it or perhaps yours is defective. I am regularly happily surprised at how consistent my CLIO rig is. Occasionally it seems buggy and will give me erroneous data, but typically multiple measurements result in plots that are exactly the same... to within the resolution of my monitor.

My CLIO is not defective. The curve I was referring is the sinusoidal Measurement. It measure a amount of discret points and get a curve by smoothing it with a algorithm. Comparing with a plot with Brüel&Kjaer stuff, the BK is definitly more what I'm hearing.
    I do not use MLS, though it is very practical (A tone burst, in my opion, is bad as a method to analyse the loudspeaker. I know the mathematics and physical equivalent.)
    I use RTA (In my Clio version the RTA is very slow). I own a Behringer DSP 8024, but believe me the BK 2131 is superior. (Supposably because the BK was, as new, a hundred times expensiver? (I paid 150 Euro))
    Version 3.2 buggy, Yep! But I can handle it. (I own a small software company.....)

@Robh3606

The only diference between the measurements was 30 seconds later. Use the feature override to see.

Hey Widget

I decided to give a 2405 a test to see if I got something at least close to your results. The one I have seems to have a notch at 10K and rolls off a bit. Want to remeasure with a shorter/different cable to see if the rool off is due to the cable length. Once I scalled it the same it looks respectable. Yours is on top.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Obsolete
    D.B. Wasn't lying when he said those things dropped like a rock towards 20 kHz.

Widget when you did your comparisons did you adjust levels at all?? I found when I measured them there was a couple of dB of sensitivity diferences. All could be corrected out with the pots. I adjusted measurement levels on the fly to get the curve overlap. Next graph is a pair of 2405's and an 077.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello Giskard

They sure do!!! I have some 2404's I am going to take a look at to see what diaphrams are in them. Figure if the roll off at 15K or so I have 2402 in there not 2405's. Nice tool! You can use this to see how well matched a driver set is. The 077 is the different one of the three.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I'll look this over and give you a thorough post later. Right now I am still on the clock and need to get a report written... I can only multi-task so far...

Widget

Obsolete
    What directory do the MICA.CAL and MICB.CAL files go in?

Rob.

Are those the slots I sold you?

Ian

Hello Ian

The Green Line is the one of the 077 you sold me. I used the best looking one from the pair you sold me and one from the Jubal I had in the 4344's. The 2405's are the ones I got of Ebay.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Lakanta
    I do not use MLS, though it is very practical (A tone burst, in my opion, is bad as a method to analyse the loudspeaker. I know the mathematics and physical equivalent.)
    I THINK we're doin' CLIO here primarily for quasi-anechoic MLS....

[QUOTE=Lakanta]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    My CLIO is not defective. The curve I was referring is the sinusoidal Measurement. It measure a amount of discret points and get a curve by smoothing it with a algorithm. Comparing with a plot with Brüel&Kjaer stuff, the BK is definitly more what I'm hearing.
    I agree that the BK equipment is very good. My CLIO mic was calibrated using a BK mic calibrator. That said, if you are getting measurements that are significantly different between the two (differences that you can hear) I'd suggest that there is something wrong.

[QUOTE=Lakanta]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I do not pretend to be an expert in this area... or any other when I think about it, but the several comparisons that I have seen comparing CLIO's MLS performance with MLSSA's performance is very favorable. MLSSA is the industry standard these days.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    I decided to give a 2405 a test to see if I got something at least close to your results. The one I have seems to have a notch at 10K and rolls off a bit. Want to remeasure with a shorter/different cable to see if the rool off is due to the cable length. Once I scalled it the same it looks respectable.
    That 2405H response that I posted and you reposted with on and off axis response was the better response of the two units I had on hand.

When I save jpegs of my plots I have been converting the image to a 2:1 aspect ratio. This more closely resembles the working window in CLIO and other published response curves that we are used to seeing. I am not sure why CLIO and MLSSA truncate their saved plots. To get a better comparison between your measurement and mine, you would need to not only stretch the length of the plot but compress the vertical slightly so that the two plots have the same aspect ratio.

Now, CLIO version 7 is supposed to export jpegs... I am noticing that your colors look messed up. Is that from saving them or are you exporting a bitmapped image and using MS Paint to convert them?

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    What directory do the MICA.CAL and MICB.CAL files go in?
    I don't remember... as I recall the manual told me where to place the file... I think I did it during the initial calibration and set-up procedure.

Widget

Obsolete
    I couldn't find a reference to where the files go in Version 7. I also looked through the 6.5 manual and couldn't find it either.

Send those nice Italians an e-mail... I remember running into a couple of stumbles... that may have been one of them. They were very quick to answer my questions. Sorry I can't be more helpful. It has been over a year and I simply don't recall. When you get an answer post it here though. I expect I'll need to reinstall the calibration profile when I load version 7... it is potential little hiccups like that that have prevented me from moving forward. Version 6.5 works very well and I am in the middle of two projects and don't want my system to be down.

Widget

Thread Information