Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Charge Coupling on the Cheap

Anyone know the difference betweeen the black SA series Claritycaps and the Yellow SA series Claritycaps??
    I have used the yellow ones as shown in Ian's photo and think they are excellent.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Allowing for exchange rate of say 1.35 that is A$11.77 to you plus postage
    Interesting... I'm sure any U.S. Distributors will ask premium prices.

Quote Originally Posted by skeptical1
    Anyone know the difference betweeen the black SA series Claritycaps and the Yellow SA series Claritycaps??
    I have used the yellow ones as shown in Ian's photo and think they are excellent.
    According to the manufacturer Data the SA series is available black as standard and other colour tapes to order.

The Claritycaps I have are the SA series.

Ian

MJC

CC/by-pass caps

Having read thru this thread, there is one point I'm not sure of. Is the CC networks being used with by-passing caps as well, or is it one or the other?

Obsolete
    The biased networks I've built with Dayton (Bennic) metallized polypropylene caps also required AudioCap polypropylene and foil bypass caps. The biased Solen metallized polypropylene networks I've built didn't seem to need bypass caps. I'm working with SoniCaps right now and might spring for some GEN II bypass caps for them. They are unbiased. I'll be comparing them against ClarityCaps if I get the ClarityCap samples I asked for.

I need to send you those pair of conventional 3113 networks I finally pulled John. PM me with your address again if you want to try them out in your L212's.

I am not sure but I would be willing to go in with some people and order Claritycaps from Ian's dist. It might be worth while for a bigger order.

Ian
    Thanks for all of your research and knowledge.

Giskard
    Thank you for your knowledge and research that you share with us.

This thread has been very good reading. Thanks again all
    Shane

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL
    I am not sure but I would be willing to go in with some people and order Claritycaps from Ian's dist. It might be worth while for a bigger order.
    Not a bad idea! Buying in quantity works for Walmart!

I will post some pics of these Claritycaps assembled in the crossover shortly..they are quite substancial even for 630 volt varieties.

Incidentially, while all the talk of the wow factor over crossover capacitors is fun and we have all the newbies wowing over the 2308 don't forget those L Pads.

I reset and calibrated everthing tonight and it really does pay dividends and in my mind is "the" difference b/n sounding great and being "there".

Fine tuning the levels with some degree of precision is a must.

My method is posted elsewhere.

Ian

4343mod
    Hi Ian, very good looking work you have done, nice job!
    I'd like to see some new RTA data once it's all set & finished.

What are you specifically looking for..I may already have it saved in The Tardis archives.

Your a time waster of my resources and your barred from this thread.

There are too many genuine members and posters who are in the que regards purpose of this thread.

Ian

4343mod
    OK, I'll leave but not before pointing out that your resources would best be saved by IGNORING me, rather than spraying me with rude insults. Such angry outbursts only consume your resources, and your health.
    Pure logic.
    Maybe you should relax and try to have some fun. I'm gone.

Thanks,

But I think you missed the point.

You made out you requesting "new" information. Fine. It can take several days to prepare and organise measurements then a few more days to edit and post them...I am glad I didn't for your sake. Then in the same breathe admit there was not substance behind your earlier post. Try doing that in every other thread on the forums and see what happens to you!

When your've got something worthwhile to contribute and relevant to the topic by all means post.

- Here's E-Speakers 2006 prices for the SA series from ClarityCap .
    - ( BTW ; I've no affiliation with E-Speakers or ICW )
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I found very interesting this thread and I would like to share some doubt I have.
    I want to upgrade the stock and aged crossover that I have on my 4430 monitors.
    I don't want to start with charge coupling, because this means to start from a scratch, so I decided to change the capacitors with new and better ones.

Reading this thread gave me some suggestions and I'm ready to do it.
    I've taken into consideration different brands and the first thing that obviously come out is the price differences between them.

If using AUDIOCAP Theta, the cost for the components (C3/C5/C9/C11) is about $340, while using AURICAP it will cost about $200.
    In this thread I've "discovered" Clarity cap. Using these capacitors will cost about $ 45 (all costs here are for two crossover).
    These numbers do not include the bypassing capacitors (and C7-20uF because this is only necessary when in Biamp mode)

The "sound" difference is really related to the cost ?
    I mean, if I use the AUDIOCAP, the difference will be really "there", or I'll be "biased" by the cost, and could obtain the same result with Clarity cap (or similar products)?
    If I use these high-grade capacitors (Audiocap or Auricap) should I still use the bypass capacitors ? And with Clarity cap ?

IAN, sorry if I jumped in this thread with these questions that can sound stupid, but this is my first approach to crossover rebuilding and I'll appreciate any suggestion from you and all other members that for sure are more experienced than me.

Michele

Thread Information