Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good deal BUT

Good deal BUT

Unfortunately the great deal I got on the Boulder 250 was dashed somewhat when I powered it down for the first time after hooking it up. Ouch!

Nasty thump causing minimal cone excursion on the Gauss 10", then about 3 seconds after that a low pitch squeal graduating to a higher pitch as the capacitors drained (is my guess?). Any time I have read about a problem like this it usually has something to do with DC on the inputs during shutdown?

This is one reason I have always prefered amps with gain pots. I hated that when I owned a pair of Crown 150's without channel gain controls. They thumped and popped from day one.

Off to Colorado for repair. $%$#

Ken

Unhappy Ouch!

Sorry to hear that, man. That sucks.

No damage, though?
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Sorry to hear that, man. That sucks.

No damage, though?
    I don't think so. I disconnected the amp at pulled the top off just to see if I could see anything obvious like a loose/burnt/broken wire. None to be seen. But here is something interesting.

When I turn the amp off the wire connected to one of the storage caps sparks.

I don't beleive this is normal?

And yes, I will be very carefull not to touch the storage caps until they are drained.

Nooooooo

it's not normal ..!!....

Gonna post a couple of photos.

photo

This is the one that sparked. I don't beleive it was arching to the positive but it may have?

I am waiting till I get a 0 reading off the storage caps and will try to see if the scews are loose. Maybe my scews are loose?

Pretty sure this is going back to Colorado for a physical however.

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow

The screws are so loose I can take them off by hand. Anyone think this is the culprit? I will tighten them up and see if it solves the problem.

Ken

Ok, I tightened them up and now when I turn it on there is no noise at alll on my test speaker. There is a smaller thump when I turn it off and it only thumps once.

I will still send it in.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    Maybe my scews are loose?

Ken
    I thought this state of mind was mandatory here?

Ken, obviously you had a physical connection issue with the Bouder BUT before you further judge the amp to be at fault, consider your upstream equipment. You may find that the Boulder simply powers down slower than the stuff ahead of it. Particularly if the equipment is op-amp based and has soft power supplies, i.e. minimal energy storage vs. load current. This can be a source of turn on and turn off transients.

Disconnect the inputs to the Boulder and see what happens when you remove power.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    There is a smaller thump when I turn it off and it only thumps once.

I will still send it in.
    I'd give them a call first. This may be normal and we all know how well amps often go through shipping...

John

Quote Originally Posted by Chas
    I thought this state of mind was mandatory here?

Ken, obviously you had a physical connection issue with the Bouder BUT before you further judge the amp to be at fault, consider your upstream equipment. You may find that the Boulder simply powers down slower than the stuff ahead of it. Particularly if the equipment is op-amp based and has soft power supplies, i.e. minimal energy storage vs. load current. This can be a source of turn on and turn off transients.

Disconnect the inputs to the Boulder and see what happens when you remove power.
    Chas

I already tried disconnecting the inputs to make sure there was no outside source. The outcome was the same so the amp is the problem. Its not as bad but not normal. I will send it for repair. I contacted the seller and she runs estate sales. She knows nothing about electronics but was quick to offer a 200.00 credit on my purchase. I thought that was most generous and fair. That will cover all shipping costs and a couple of hours of bench time. Hopefully I should come out even or close to it with an amp right up to factory specs.

Ken

Tom Loizeaux
    Ken,
    As you know, turn-on and turn-off thump is very common. Most quality amps have delayed turn-on using timed relays. Many amps do show some turn-off transiants. I'd talk with a tech at the company to see if they feel the "thump" you're experiencing is not normal.
    I bought a Crown PT 2.1 power amp a while back and experienced some turn-off thump. I spoke with Crown and they said a little of that is normal with that amp.
    In my view, very high quality amps shouldn't have any of that .

Please keep us informed.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux
    Ken,
    As you know, turn-on and turn-off thump is very common. In my view, very high quality amps shouldn't have any of that .

Please keep us informed.

Tom
    Tom it's great to hear from you. I agree, but this goes a little beyond that. Its the secondary squeal that bothers me. I am calling Boulder today.

Ken

as per QSC's...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux
    In my view, very high quality amps shouldn't have any of that.

• Active Inrush Limiting eliminates AC inrush current, removing the need for expensive power sequencers
    • On/Off muting,
    • DC-fault power supply shutdown
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Ken hope it works out for you.

It depends on the amps I guess. I have Crown 150 Series 2's and the original and all have some gentle turn off bumps with a very low level whurrr?? as the caps go. My Crown PS-200's are completely silent on or off.

Rob

Thread Information