Page 74 of 76 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1133

Thread: JBL L Series (1990s)

This is a slow slog. I got all new parts for the HF crossovers and assembled one. Turns out I'm out of 1/4" wood stock, so off to pay through the nose for that tomorrow. Once that's here, I'll test the new crossovers and, if they pass, they go in the box.

I re-used only the coils and everything else is upgraded.

The L5s sound so good in the small bedroom that I can't wait to hear the L7s fully functional in the larger room.

Quote Originally Posted by turnitdown View Post
    The L5s sound so good in the small bedroom that I can't wait to hear the L7s fully functional in the larger room.
    Hah! Gotcha, didn't they?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

'fraid so.

Lawwdy

Got one of the new crossovers in last night (L7). What a GREAT sounding speaker! Big sound, accurate...a giant studio monitor. They do sound that good. All new caps and resistors. Recycled the coils. I'm working on the second one now and should have it installed tomorrow.

I want to measure them sometime soon. Where do I place the mic on these? I am only used to measuring and building 2-way horn systems.

Cool

After re-capping the L7s, they seem to sound better (auditory memory and all) but I got them to play nice, even in a small room. Passive Bi-amping did it.

I can bring in the bass (12") to the point that it melds seamlessly in any size room.

What a GREAT set of speakers.

I got a package today. All new crossover parts for the L5s. Nice project while watching football.

I am still waiting for a guy to pull his L3s out so I can bring them home.

Hats off to Mr. Hagan, the designer.

The L1 is likely to impress you more than the L3. I have them all. Only bought the L3 to complete the set. Not bad, but nothing close to the L5.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

To be honest, I really want the L3s for experimentation. And the extra 708Gs and tweeters. I am fully sated with what I have now. Wellll, I might want to build a passive M2, but a lot has to be sold off first.

Tired of Black...

Not crazy about Black towers so I gave it a go with a Birch veneer and some Metallic Gold Paint. New stands to replace the plastic ones. Not a perfect job but... these are Great Speakers even if they have a few years on them...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

VERY nice! Whatever it takes to make them look good in order to keep them. Definitely keepers.

Currently re-capping the L5s while the L7s do their thing in the background.

I am halfway through making up (freshening) the crossovers for my L5s. I doing so, and after looking at the specs, it seems the L7 cross the 12 at 180Hz and the L5 at 170Hz from the 708G.

I am going to put a 4 binding post terminal cup on the back and allow them to be bi-amped passively. Except for the terminal cup, completely stock otherwise.

BUT, I may move the port to the front because I usually hug the wall with my speakers.

It's still near 100 degrees in these parts, so this is an indoor project I can finish rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by turnitdown View Post
    I am going to put a 4 binding post terminal cup on the back and allow them to be bi-amped passively. Except for the terminal cup, completely stock otherwise.
    Let us know if you find any improvement in their sound from bi-amping.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanz View Post
    Not crazy about Black towers so I gave it a go with a Birch veneer and some Metallic Gold Paint. New stands to replace the plastic ones. Not a perfect job but... these are Great Speakers even if they have a few years on them...
    Very, very cool!
    Thanks for sharing! FWIW: I completely agree with you on the black tower thing.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Let us know if you find any improvement in their sound from bi-amping.
    I am almost completely sure there will be no improvement as these are well-balanced as is. I have been re-thinking this since last night.

Finally (closer) to a solution for Center for L7s

Lots of folks trying to find a decent center match for their L7s/L5s. I have tried a veritable Plethora of options over the years, but never could find a satisfactory match. S Center was ok, but seemed to lack punch. So I pulled a pair of 62s out of the garage, running them parallel and I find it to be very close match to the L7s in timbre.
    Now on to the search and wait for L1s to show up for sale somewhere nearby.
    Marantz AVR-5014, HK Citation 22 driving the L7s, 62s Center, PROIIIs side and L3s rear + SVS PB1000Pro for sub.

Thread Information