Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio L Series

MJC
    Well, its like the room where I've got one pair of L212s and the L890s in the same room. One pair hooked up for a while then the other. The room isn't anywhere as big as the theater room.
    And although I get good sound in that room the soundstage isn't as wide as I would like because the longest dimension is only 17' and that's only on one wall. The opposite wall steps into the room twice at the end of the hallway and then again for a hallway closet.
    So no matter how I setup the speakers I've got walls closer than I would like, either to the sides or behind or out in front of the speakers.
    The bigger the room and the more you can get the speakers away from the walls the better.

Quote Originally Posted by aht3
    The coolest thing is that my wife did not notice that I changed the speakers. Thanks God for black. She came in my office and sat down and did not notice that my 880s had grown
    Ah yes, you slipped one over on the ole lady!

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    When I had my 890s in the HT, connected to a Parasound 220wpc amp those things shook the room, and I wasn't using a sub. As I've said before, the 890s can shame many subs, when connected to a quality, high powered amp.

I doubt any subs does it better than a pair of sub1500s, although, I haven't heard the 8400s or the HTPS400s. The sub1500s move a huge mass of air to 15htz.
    Funny you should mention the HTPS-400 http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-Synthesis-HT...QQcmdZViewItem

The funny thing is that it mentions frequency response of 25hz. do you guys know what the max extension is on this? I cam 25Hz from a much cheaper sub.

Thanks,
    Last edited by aht3; 02-23-2007 at 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling

MJC

L890 gifts

Well today my daughter became the proud owner of my L890s. That kid grew up listening to JBLs and what they had was a pair of "off the street" speakers my son had bought 10 years ago and her boyfriend's Bose pieces of crap.
    But I told them they need to move the entire system, speakers, tv, gear, to the other side of the room, where they have a longer wall to put them. I told her boyfriend that the L890s were too close to the side walls and didn't need any boundry reinforcement. Only weak ass speakers need boundry reinforcement and the L890 is no weak ass speaker.
    The L890s are an early wedding present.

So I'm I hurting for speakers, I think not, at last count:
    7 L212s
    5 PT800s
    2 sub1500s
    2 B212s
    1 PB12

MJC,
    If you're hurting for speakers, I have some Bose pieces of crap that I got off of a guy whose girlfriend's father gave her a sweet pair of L890s. You interested?

Last edited by aht3; 02-23-2007 at 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by aht3 View Post
    MJC,
    If you're hurting for speakers, I have some Bose pieces of crap that I got off of a guy whose girlfriend's father gave her a sweet pair of L890s. You interested?

Funny stuff.

You can see the response of the HTPS400 here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...&postcount=892

Looks good but I have no idea what it means. Please educate me because I have seen a lot of these and do not have a clue. I would appreciate help in this area.

Thanks,

MJC
    The official word from my daughter is "the L890s are awesome". I told her if she thinks they're good now, she needs to get a newer and better receiver for them. They've got an old Teac Prologic receiver.
    And now she has the incentive to move the furniture around in the LR, to better accommodate the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    The official word from my daughter is "the L890s are awesome". I told her if she thinks they're good now, she needs to get a newer and better receiver for them. They've got an old Teac Prologic receiver.
    And now she has the incentive to move the furniture around in the LR, to better accommodate the speakers.
    Kuddos dad! It's a great feeling when you can impress your kids!

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by oznob View Post
    Kuddos dad! It's a great feeling when you can impress your kids!
    In this case it was quite easy,
    first, she grew up listening to JBLs,
    second, what they were using was total crap.

Am I hearing things????

When I got my 890s, I was happy to see them, however, the spikes were not in either of the boxes. I called JBL and they sent them out no problem. I just had to send them a copy of my invoice. I have been loving them so far and they have been sounding really good. OK...I installed the feet, set them back into place and turned my tuner back on....They sound better..I can't explain it but they sound more open, clear and spacious if that's a good description. I am even more amazed that when I got them. Please offer feedback as I am still a bit new at this stuff.

On another note, MDF finish on the 890s was bit dull compared to the rest of my setup so I hit them with a little bit of Old English lemon oil. They look really warm now and I hope I have not messed them up.

MJC
    The L890s get better as time goes by. There were days when I liked the sound of the L890s better than the PT800s, which in fact are a better speakers.
    Now my daughter is loving the L890s, I just couldn't let it go on any longer, having her ears subjected to speakers that are far less than JBLs.

On another note, MDF finish on the 890s was bit dull compared to the rest of my setup so I hit them with a little bit of Old English lemon oil. They look really warm now and I hope I have not messed them up.
    The finish is vinyl covering, treat it as if it was veneer. so using Pledge, or Old English will do the trick. One guy said he used black shoe polish it hide any scatches.

MJC. Thanks for the response but...I was still wondering. Did adding the spike change the sound?

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by aht3 View Post
    MJC. Thanks for the response but...I was still wondering. Did adding the spike change the sound?
    I don't know if they did or not, as I installed the spikes when I first took them out of the boxes. So that is the only way I ever listened to them.
    But from what I've read, elsewhere, adding spikes is suppose to produce better stereo imaging and clarity.

Well, I ca tell you that either the speakers sound exponentially better overnight or the spike make a difference. in any event, they sound swet and I listen to them all day with o audio fatigue.

This is a great speaker system

MJC
    Yes the L890s are a very nice system. Just think, the next better system, the PS PT800 are more than twice the price (retail) not counting the cost of subs.
    The reason I specified the PT800 is if you now look on the JBL site there is a whole slew of speakers that were not originally part of the PS, only the PT800, PC600 and PS1400 are the original models.

Thread Information