Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio L Series

Smile

Of course, the reviews are useful, and the firsthand reports here are even more useful, but the best thing is always your own ears in your own space.

If possible, buy from a dealer that allows returns.
    Out.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Of course, the reviews are useful, and the firsthand reports here are even more useful, but the best thing is always your own ears in your own space.

If possible, buy from a dealer that allows returns.
    Yep, that's what I did and then decided to keep 'em.
    But I still like my diy HT at least as much.

Murph
    Hello! First post here. I have been looking at the JBL Studio L series and was able to listen to them at our local Tweeter the other day - they sound very nice. In reading many of the online reviews, I came across a review of the Revel Concerta F12 - very similar configuration, size, price point and parent company (Harmon). Is this a clone or are there specific differences? Has anyone here heard the F-12's or compared the Revel F-12 with the JBL L890? Thanks!

MJC
    Hello and welcome to the forum. Although I've never heard the Revels, I'd have to say they are a different speaker altogether.
    First, the Revels are a 3-way design and the L890s are a 4-way design, having two tweeters.
    Second, the Revel's drivers are a Organic Ceramic Composite, where as the Studio L's are PolyPlas.
    I have the 890s and have had them connected to a stereo receiver only having 85wpc and also in my HT with 220wpc. They sound very good in either setup. Although with 220w the twin 8" woofers can really give sub woofers a run for the money, for movies.
    I think the L890s have a really nice sound over the entire audio range, with crystal clear highs and midrange and a strong bass.

Go for the L890's!

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum. Although I've never heard the Revels, I'd have to say they are a different speaker altogether.
    First, the Revels are a 3-way design and the L890s are a 4-way design, having two tweeters.
    Second, the Revel's drivers are a Organic Ceramic Composite, where as the Studio L's are PolyPlas.
    I have the 890s and have had them connected to a stereo receiver only having 85wpc and also in my HT with 220wpc. They sound very good in either setup. Although with 220w the twin 8" woofers can really give sub woofers a run for the money, for movies.
    I think the L890s have a really nice sound over the entire audio range, with crystal clear highs and midrange and a strong bass.
    I too have L890's and am in full agreement with MJC's opinion. A very solid performer and one of the best values out there for a new full range speaker. I am running mine with an NAD C372 150 watt integrated amp and they sound great top to bottom! I highly recommend them!

MJC

L8400P

First time I've really looked at the specs for this sub:
    Bass Driver 12" (300mm) PolyPlas™cones with rubber surround, cast-aluminum chassis, HeatScape™ motor structure, Symmetrical Field Geometry™ (SFG™), oversized fiberglass voice coil, magnetic shorting ring

Fiberglass voice coil?
    I just took a look @ the specs, the voice coil in the L890s is Dupont's Kapton

Making a choice

Hello all. Just to be upfront, I am going for a bit of overkill. I am really looking for a fuul range sound in my office. I watch a lot of TV, movies and play game on 360. My room is 12'X11' with a 10' cieling. I have a Pioneer Elite 84 and want to put a good set of speakers on it to "jam jam jam". This thread has been interesting and I am ready to bite.

Anyway, I ran across the 890s and thought they would be a great fit. I will be using the LC2 for my center and the 820s for rears. I have a great set of surround speakers with side firing 6" drivers and a front firing tweeter. I'll keep them if the get along with the JBL's I only plan to bi wire the mains and center. Does anyone have I am also looking at getting a sub. I looked at the 8400 but that might be a bit too much. Does the 8400 have an auto standby? it does not state either way on the JBL site. The JBL S120P II is still available. Does anyone have any thoughts on it or have any other suggestions? This will round out my 7.1 system. I know my room is small but this is my little getaway. Any thoughts? I would like any and all the help I can get. One other question. Do I need 820's for surrounds and rears or will the 810/830 do the job. the 820's actually loook like potential stand ins for mains but it might be fun to have them anyway.

Thanks,

Andrew

MJC
    Depending on how many watts the Pioneer Elite 84 puts out, you'll probably not need a sub with the L890s. When I had my pair in my 3100cuft HT I was using them w/o any subs. They were connected to a 220wpc amp. They would put many subs to shame. So I suggest trying them w/o a sub first, being your room is only 11x12.
    As far as the 8400 sub, the Fry's, where I auditioned the L890s, didn't have the sub, at least not in the same room.

ok and thanks. the eliete 84 is 140 WPC and is a high current amp.

the dealer I just found with a really sweet price has just taken them off of their site due to "franchising" issues. that's really sad because I found a pair of the beech 890s for 472/ea.. Anyway, I am just thankfue to even be able to look at new speakers. If I do not get the lseries, do you have any suggestions for towers in the 400-600 range?

Thanks,

The L7's would be a good choice in that price range

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by aht3 View Post
    If I do not get the lseries, do you have any suggestions for towers in the 400-600 range?
    Thanks,
    Staying with the Studio L series, you have the 880 towers, where as I paid $699/ea for the 890s($100 off list) the 880s should be $599/ea($100 off list).

so the 880s should be just fine in this sized room correct?

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by aht3 View Post
    so the 880s should be just fine in this sized room correct?
    I would think so, from the reviews I've read.
    The difference, as far as specs go, is only 50w. The L890's are rated @250w, the L880 @ 200w.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    I would think so, from the reviews I've read.
    The difference, as far as specs go, is only 50w. The L890's are rated @250w, the L880 @ 200w.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=13411
    Just in case you are interested.

surrounds and back

OK. I have one more question. With the size of my room, which speakers would you all reccommend for the surround and back speakers? Remember, this is a 12X12 room with a 10' cieling. I am looking at the 810, 820, 830 and LC2. Just wondering what combimation you would suggest.

Thanks,

Andrew

Thread Information