Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
Ok, so I just received a set of L890 from the E guy on that well known auction site. I open one of them up, and there is some kind of foam/insulation on the inside of the speaker (looking thru the bass port), that has come apart from the side. It looks alot like carpet pad. It appears as though it used to be glued to the inside wall of the speaker (can see glue "squiggle"), but it has come off.

Does this matter? Should I try to refasten it somehow? I could probably take off the back speaker panel connector so I could get my hand in there and perhaps reglue it (this would probably void warranty). My wife can stick her hand thru the bass port and move things around a bit, but there's not much she could do.
I believe you are correct in that you have some damping material that has come loose. Not a major problem at all. Just CAREFULLY unscrew the hex screws from the bottom woofer and slowly remove it from the cabinet. Be CAREFUL of the wires that connect the woofer to the crossover. You may need to CAREFULLY remove the wires from the woofer to clear the cabinet. Make sure you note which color coded wire goes to its repective spade lug on the woofer so that when you re-connect them they will be in phase. This should give you enough room to replace the damping material. If not, you could follow the same steps and remove the other woofer. This shouldn't void the warranty, if done correctly no one would know anyway but, you may want to check with the seller to be sure.

Hope this helps,

Mark