Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio L Series

LC2 & L100A's

I am very new to this forum, I came here for information on a product I was/am interested in purchasing. I have little opinion on the esoterics of speaker design, and many of the opinions in this thread were from folks who never listened to the speakers they were dishing. This was not very helpful in making a a purchasing decision, there were members who posted useful information, to them THANK YOU very much.

So to help another newbie who stumbles across this forum from a Google search I offer an excerpt from my thread on another forum:

….

“After spending a lot of time reading and auditioning some speaker's I'm keeping my JBL L100's for the time being.

I looked at several brands and came down to Definitive Tech, and JBL Studio L Series. I found it amazing how much it would cost to replace 30-year-old speakers.

My L100's have not been abused used almost every day for 30 years. They will require some touchup.

It was necessary to purchase a new A/V Receiver, to get what I needed/wanted required me to go up market, which put a big dent in the piggy bank. I got a Denon 4306.

As soon as I hooked this amp up I was immediately impressed with how much material comes out of the center channel and how little comes out of the surrounds.

I had auditioned the JBL LC1 and it was apparent that the LC1 was "under powered" for the job in my system. Any center channel of lesser quality I knew would not be worth trying.

I could not find a LC2 locally to listen to but I did find an almost complete JBL Studio Series L setup at a local Fry's so I had a good idea what a LC1 and L890's sounded like. Over all the mid-range and high range are excellent, I was disappointed in the bass, a really good sub is required. AKA L890 2x 8inch sub does NOT EQUAL one 12" sub in a L100.

So I ordered a LC2 from B&H Photo, it came in yesterday, I got it properly installed today and I'm very impressed at how natural it sounds.

For those doing a surround sound system DONOT SKIMP on those front speakers espc. the center channel.

I'll try the Definitive Tech LCR but I think the LC2 will do the trick.

Current 5.1 setup: A/V Rec-Amp Denon 4306, Front-L/R JBL L100A, Center JBL LC2, Sub JBL PB10, Surrounds JBL LX22's. Well it's not perfect but sounds much better than my prior configuration. “

-- Brandy

Smile Studio L Series cost "less" than L100s

Hi Brandy. It's often estimated that a new run of L100s would cost $2-2.5k per pair if manufactured today. That's just taking into account inflation, and probably doesn't reflect the fact that the cost of making those cabinets increased more than the rate of inflation.

I have two pairs of the original L100 Century speakers (all the drivers are in a line from top to bottom) and wouldn't give them up, even though there are some folks who like to run them down. The L100s are not the best speakers I own by a long shot, but they're among my favorites.

Even though the Studio L Series seems expensive compared to our L100s, remember we were paying $273 each back in 1971. I just checked my SS statements, and I made about $2400 that year as a college student living on his own with no parental help. (That's a long story... ) So, I spent nearly 23% of my gross income on those speakers.

Man, if I did that today, I could have some top JBLs and money left over.

I think the Studio L Series is a solid value, better than the L100 in its day, but they're two quite different designs and have very different sounds.

Now that you have the LC2, you'll always have the option to buy some other Studio L gear a couple of pieces at a time if you want, and eventually build a matched system all the way around. As it is, you've got an all JBL system, which everyone here likes to see. And whatever you do, keep those L100s. They're a big piece of JBL history, and, like mine are to me, a big part of your musical life.
    Out.

Ti,

Thank you for the reply. The plan was to get a center speaker from a series that I could move into later.

I did get a chance to listen to L890's which I comment on previously. After hearing how much material comes from the center speaker I knew I need a good one.

The next thing I notice was how much bad audio comes from TV, actually I should not have been surprised.

When I have good software the LC2 & L100A's sound really good together.

As for replacing the L100'1 no current plans, I need to get the tweeter foams repaired.

Thanks again.

-- Brandy

robpatton

Exclamation Head to Head

I found the Studio L series to be a very strong contender when faced with other stiff competition. Both the Project Array and the Studio L series speakers have the sound of the K2 at fractions of the prices. I highly recommend both speakers to anyone intersted in them. I look forward to getting more involved on this site and I have lots to offer, I feel! Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Cool Well now

Quote Originally Posted by robpatton
    I found the Studio L series to be a very strong contender when faced with other stiff competition. Both the Project Array and the Studio L series speakers have the sound of the K2 at fractions of the prices. I highly recommend both speakers to anyone intersted in them. I look forward to getting more involved on this site and I have lots to offer, I feel! Thanks!
    Welcome Rob.

Those are some interesting pictures. Can you tell us a little more about the where and what of each? I mean, after all, that's about $54k worth of K2s there.

Thanks!
    Out.

robpatton

All over the House

Thanks for the welcome!!

The where seems to be everywhere...according to my wife. It take a graceful dance to navigate my home without tripping over a cable, speaker or amplifier. My son has learned to swing from the cables like a small monkey.

I have many K2 9800 SEs and regulars for some time. The prices are up to 30K for a pair now for the SEs, BTW. I have just received the Array 14s and the Studio Ls last week. I am running them with Cello Performance II amplifiers(400WPC @ 4 Ohm), an Esoteric UX-3 CD/DVD, an Anthem AVM 30 for the Pre and Silver Litz interconnects and Litz speaker cables. The K2s are one of the best speakers I have found anywhere at any price range and would recommend them first if the budget allows. On a lower budget the Array 14s are the next in line and then the Array 800 with subwoofer assistance needed. On limited budgets, the Studio L series brings the pack home nicely.

Regards,

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Smile L880

I listened to the L880s at Fry's Electronics today. Due to the almost complete lack of qualified and interested sales associates, I got to spend as much time as I wanted fiddling with them.

Let me start by stating that the room was barely acceptable, and the speakers were much too far apart. However, I went ahead and moved them to a few positions of my liking to get a better appreciation of them.

Since they're dual 6" woofers speakers, I also moved the EOL/NLA Northridge E80s over for a bit of comparison. The E80s were available at closeout for $79 each, while the L880s were at full retail of $699 each.

The E80s held up quite well, but were clearly not in the same league, especially on the high end. However, even the E80's dual 6" woofers were clearly not as capable as those in the L880.

I listened to some music from the 50s, 70s, 90s, and today to get a feel for the voicing and timbre. The L880 was very strong in the midrange, upper midrange, and highs. At any volume level, its tweeter was very good, and the midrange driver seemed to be effortless in its delivery. The sound was just there.

Running through an HK receiver, the sound was well balanced, clean, and articulate. However, on some of the older material (do wop in particular), the weak quality of the recordings tended to make the midrange voices a bit sharp and the highs were what I'd call shrill. I didn't notice this on any of the other music, though I certainly listened for it after that. I'd say this is a case of the speaker not hiding anything.

I was able to drive these speakers to very loud levels with no problems. I heard no break up, though occasionally I heard attacks and decays that could have been cleaner. Sometimes it seemed like there were very minor time/phase issues, which cleared up with proximity to the speakers.

The weak link was the lower bass, but with 6" woofers, this was no surprise. I avoided adding a sub to the mix, so I could see if my hearing adjusted to the sound. After awhile, I could hear that the bass was there, just not in abundance. The woofers were agile and accurate, but not low by any means.

I mentioned above that I also used the E80 as a touchstone for performance. The most curious thing was what happened in the high frequencies. The L880 has the mini-horn UHF tweeter, which I'm certain I couldn't hear if my life depended on it. However, the high frequencies I could hear sounded so much more accurate, that I wonder if the UHF driver was having an effect on the tweeter's response.

There was a distinctly better high frequency sound from the L880. Better tweeter? Probably. UHF influence? Don't know.

The L880 is a very nice speaker, but it's not full-range by my definition. Still it's only $700 in today's dollars. So to compare it to a full-range L7 or XPL200 wouldn't be fair. It suffers in comparison to them, but is a great speaker to occupy the middle ground in the consumer space. Add a sub, and you have a full-range system.
    Out.

L880 appearance

Many have commented that the speaker looks tacky or cheap. Fortunately, it looks much better in person.

The finish is the all-too-familiar vinyl black ash. The edges of the relatively slim enclosure are rounded in a pleasing way. The grilles stand out from the baffle by a small space, and they have a nice, firm feel to them. They remove easily.

The drivers do look a bit gaudy, but not overbearingly so. The photos we normally see tend to exaggerate the look.

Probably the only thing I didn't like were the "feet." If I bought a pair of these, I'd paint the feet black (or take them off).
    Out.

New Member - Requesting Opinons on the new L Series

Hi all,

I'd like to tell, intially, that it was a pleasure to discover this forum.
    Matter of fact, it was something I was looking for - long ago - and I consider it as the real place to be, to the all of us, good'n ol' JBL fans!

Well, my current setting comprises the following speakers (7.1 system):

Mains = Northrigde ND 310
    Center = S Center
    Surrounds = S 38II
    S Back = N 28II
    Woofer = PB -12,

all being powered by a Denon 3805 AVR.

Quite recently, I've upgraded my system and now I'm using another woofer instead ( SVS PB 10 - ISD). I'm also considering the possibility of upgrading the mains & center channel and the new Studio L range seems to be a considerable upgrade of what I have now.

There's something I'd like to discuss about the new L series; i.e., I have read that they're basically all 4 Ohm load (altough specs states 8 Ohm loads), so that could somewhat overload the AVR, if pushed hardly, right?

In other hand, I know of several people using 4 Ohm speakers with the 3805 and have not had any problems, so far. Perhaps that sounds just like " to be in the safe side" and go for an external amp, right?

I have to say that I'm pretty satisfied with my current speakers, but I feel like the L Series are the end of the line on my wish list.
    My room is not that big either, so I was thinking of only changing the mains & center, that's all.

By the way, what's the real need of a FULL RANGE FLOORSTANDERS nowadays, when the woofer takes care about the heavy burden??
    I truly believe that this theory does make sense, mainly after the "sub woofer advent" on multi channel HT systems.

More & more you see people going with bookshelves for the mains, with pretty amazing results... (have to admit that I'm the ol' fashioned guy who still prefers big floorstanders though... isn't time for a change now??).

I'm re-configuring my HT room (as I've got a new HDTV set as well), so I'll be posting some pictures pretty soon for you guys, in order to evaluate my needs and chime back with your toughts.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate to have some feed-back on my comments.

Cheers / Avliner.

Quote Originally Posted by avliner
    By the way, what's the real need of a FULL RANGE FLOORSTANDERS nowadays, when the woofer takes care about the heavy burden??
    I truly believe that this theory does make sense, mainly after the "sub woofer advent" on multi channel HT systems.

More & more you see people going with bookshelves for the mains, with pretty amazing results... (have to admit that I'm the ol' fashioned guy who still prefers big floorstanders though... isn't time for a change now??).
    Notwithstanding the increasingly pervasive mischaracterization of just about any woofer as "subwoofer," few floorstanders incorporate a sub in the true sense of crossing and operating exclusively below 100 Hz.

Can most bookshelves get down to 80-100 Hz ? Yup.

Do they integrate well with a separate sub? Only if designed as a system, I'd say, and that includes whatever is doing the bass management.

Current practice is to stack the bookshelf on top of a subwoofer, in effect, creating a "modular" floorstander. DUH!!

MJC
    Current practice is to stack the bookshelf on top of a subwoofer, in effect, creating a "modular" floorstander. DUH!!
    Or have the subs next to the mains. With my setup each main have their own 12" sub, sitting next to the mains, to the inside, with the center channel speaker in between the two subs. These subs are connected to the mains with speaker wire, which in effect make the mains full range. Of coarse, that is how the L212s were designed to work.

Plus I have two sub1500s that sit at the mid-points of the side walls connected to the "subout" on the H/K receiver. The mains are set to "large" in the receiver menu and the rest of the L212s are set to "small".

Of the various setups I've tried over the last two years, this is the best yet. And it works very well for both music and movies. When listening to music, I can use all four subs, or just the two 12" subs, when I'm listening to music in stereo. Of coarse I have all four on when listening to multi-channel music.

Oh ye of little faith...

Here is a major endorsement of the JBL Studio L Series from a wildly popular Internet site. Many Web-savvy electronics purchasers go here before anywhere else.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...06-part-1.html

Read and rejoice.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Here is a major endorsement of the JBL Studio L Series from a wildly popular Internet site. Many Web-savvy electronics purchasers go here before anywhere else.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...06-part-1.html

Read and rejoice.
    They probably sound fine, but....it looks like they spent all of five minutes on the design.

That is an uggglllleeee speaker system.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Smile Not your cup of tea, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    They probably sound fine, but....it looks like they spent all of five minutes on the design.

That is an uggglllleeee speaker system.
    Have you had a chance to see them in person? Average people under the age of 40 probably think they look fine, even cool. Other customers at Frys thought so.

Many have commented that the speaker looks tacky or cheap. Fortunately, it looks much better in person.

The finish is the all-too-familiar vinyl black ash. The edges of the relatively slim enclosure are rounded in a pleasing way. The grilles stand out from the baffle by a small space, and they have a nice, firm feel to them. They remove easily.

The drivers do look a bit gaudy, but not overbearingly so. The photos we normally see tend to exaggerate the look.

Probably the only thing I didn't like were the "feet." If I bought a pair of these, I'd paint the feet black (or take them off).
    Out.

Have you had a chance to see them in person? Average people under the age of 40 probably think they look fine, even cool. Other customers at Frys thought so.
    I haven't seen them in person. I think the average person under 40...well....35 maybe ...hasn't had the good fortune of being able to experience good design in the stores.

To me...those Studio L's would benefit from way less contrast in the colors. There's just too many drivers that are silver in a black box...the grilles should be left on. Can you imagine the above pictured K2's with a silver horn and woofer?...Ewwww.

Even a darker gray or titanium color would do the Studio L's wonder...make it look quite a bit richer...and not so "Wal-Mart"
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information