Close-up
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Fine job Bo

Curious to hear what they sound like?

Ken

Hey, Ken...

Well, they can't touch an L, but then again...

They are great - both iterations. The 128H (L) has a subtly more "filled-in" or full sound. The LE14A configuration (R) to me has more definition, and slightly stronger VLF (but the listening position a top that Teak stand-up workbench is not optimum - or is it...?). We did a blindfold test, and after different source materials the LE14A is coming-out modestly preferred, at least for this build.

NB: BBPro set Fb of 27.11 Hz (L) and 30.88 Hz (R).
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Those look quite nice Bo!

Yes, I realize they "ain't no L1's" but I'm sure they sound good anyway

L88P
    Very nice engineering Bo! What’s the investment in material and labor hours in the cabinets? How does the 128H compare in the LF and MF range with an L112? Wonder what they would sound like with a 123A?

L88P
    Roger

And those blue....

They look perfect!

Nice baffle mod to enable the A/B Test

Originally posted by L88P
    What’s the investment in material and labor hours in the cabinets? How does the 128H compare in the LF and MF range with an L112? Wonder what they would sound like with a 123A?
    Well, as I (think...) posted much earlier-on, the cabinets are some old Altec Model Nine's that I re-employed, here - they had just about the minimum volume to try the LE14A's. The 128H is the LF in the L112 (right...?), so that's an easy comp. I prefer the 128H over all the JBL 12's. I even swapped 'em into my 4312's a while back and was very pleased with the improvement (and I otherwise am not a fan of swapping-in different JBL components. "Just won't work" ...).

I have A/B'd the 123A vs the 2213H, the 123A vs 128H, and 128H vs 2213H, and the 128H wins. And yes, I maintained proper polarity - that's how I got into that whole mess in the first place!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

L88P
    Originally posted by boputnam
    Well, as I (think...) posted much earlier-on, the cabinets are some old Altec Model Nine's that I re-employed.

I missed that... I was thinking maybe this was going to be a limited production line, maybe the B43xx something similar.

, here - they had just about the minimum volume to try the LE14A's. The 128H is the LF in the L112 (right...?), so that's an easy comp. I prefer the 128H over all the JBL 12's. I even swapped 'em into my 4312's a while back and was very pleased with the improvement (and I otherwise am not a fan of swapping-in different JBL components. "Just won't work" ...).

I have A/B'd the 123A vs the 2213H, the 123A vs 128H, and 128H vs 2213H, and the 128H wins. And yes, I maintained proper polarity - that's how I got into that whole mess in the first place!

I missed that... I thought this could be a limited "Bo" production run.

I was asking if you could comment on the performance differences from the 128H in the 112 vs your design?

For a 12' the 128H is nice... I've got a pair in 112's, gifted to my oldest son! I hear them through the walls, that's my first clue he's home on college break not an Alnico correct?

I'd like to test LE5-2's in pair of 166A's... anything to look out for here?

Why the 128H over the 123A?

JBL should have took a tip from GM and the SBC on the polarity... keep it the same. With the 43XX components, is the polarity all also?

L88P

Roger

Hey, Roger...

Whoa - lotsa stuff there, pard'.

I can't comment upon the differences with this, and the L112. I'm using the N65 network, so for starters that is a bit different.

I love the comment about the son - my daughter "enjoys" her L26's same-same...

I MUCH prefer the performance of the 128H. Significant design improvements over the 123A, IMO. Quite audible. Try some modelling in WinISD or BBPRo, for same cabinet sizes, and you'll grok the situation.

No, there is nothing "different" about the 43xx series component polarity. It's all JBL, and consistently negative (at least at the component level - ex-network polarity is another thing entirely...)
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Why not put L100 emblems on them Bo, t'll makem sound better!!

Ian

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information