Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's this??

JBL Dog

What's this??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3276

Another quality JBL product offered only in Japan??

This message comes from JBL Dog
    Last edited by JBL Dog; 08-28-2003 at 01:49 PM.

Have seen 2405/2405H/077's mounted like this before.

Dog

These are quite common in Japan.

See them for sale on HIFIDO site once and a while.

They are pretty aren't they?

Ken

JBL Dog

Good to hear from you, Ken!

Yeah, they caught my eye for sure! I wouldn't mind having a set of them to add to the ridiculous amount (according to my wife) of JBL parts I currently have.

I guess this is a modern version of the C41 Angelus that housed an 075.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...1957/page7.jpg

Also on that page are the rare Bel-Aire D42216's. I managed to find a mirror imaged set about a year ago and I'm in the process of refurb-ing them. I will post pics with the completed project.

OH YOU JBL DOG "U". I have been searching for the right side tweeter enclosure for my unmated walnut OR mahogany Bel-Aires for a LONG time now.Let me know if you stumble across another so that I can also compleat my stereo image Bel-Aire collection.I knew they are out there,but you probably have the only one on the planet.Good for you!!!! It is also a nice addition on top of a Hartsfield to enhance the mid and hi frequency sections.Ever seen EVs version of the Bel-Aire which is called "The Skylark"? I gots me one of them thare critters also.Now if I could just find those pesky Harlans!!!! Best regards,Oldmics

JBL Dog

Yeah, it was a lucky score!

Hey Oldmics!

I knew I had something special with a mirrior imaged set of Bel-Aires. Why is the right side so difficult to find? Did JBL only make a right side when a stereo set was ordered?

I found them on Ebay last summer "buy-it-now" from a seller that didn't know a thing about them. To date, he's my favorite Ebay seller!

I'm surprised he completed the transaction because he was ambushed with e-mails from collectors all over the world willing to pay alot more than what I paid. He suggested that I pay for them right away if I wanted them. A trip to Paypal and they were mine.

They had several issues. Some idiot decided to paint the cream colored grill cloth black. He/she didn't even bother to remove the grills from the cabinet when it was time to paint! Paint dripped are all over the cones of the D216's and the part of the cabinet that is covered by the grill. I bought them as a full range 8" (D216 only). I have the parts sitting around to make them a 2-way D42216 (add N2400, 075).

In addition to the paint all over the cones of the D216's, both voice coils rub. The baskets are in mint condition. I am reconing the D216's with an aftermarket kit. I will search for a clean set to keep them original.

One of the cabinets was in near mint condition. The other had some veneer gouges on one side. Both fronts are in great condition. I just got an e-mail this evening that they will be stripped and refinished this weekend.

I've been looking for vintage grill cloth. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

I am familiar with the EV Skylark. I was bidding on a single last year but didn't get it. Someone had a single Harlan up on the "bay" last year. The cabinet was in poor condition on the Harlan.

I will post pics as soon as the Bel-Aires are complete.

Last edited by JBL Dog; 08-28-2003 at 10:05 PM.

JBL Dog

Bel Aires

I just got this picture from the cabinet refinisher. You may know him as a member of this forum, audiobeer. As he said in his e-mail "raw cabinets, ready to be bleached!"

Thanks bud!

Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL Dog

Bel Aire project (cherry stain applied)

More pics of the Bel Aires.

Last edited by JBL Dog; 08-30-2003 at 03:56 PM.

JBL Dog

and another....

Obsolete
    Very cool

Dayam... now THAT'S REAL WOOD!!

Too bad there ain't any trees left to get this kind of wood from anymore, for the most part...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Beautiful !!!

JBL Dog

Refinish is done!

kinda cool!!

Well let's have a poll. Should Dog leave that Satin cellulose Production Laquer look or a wet sand hand rubbed look?

WOW,NICE PICS !!!!!!! O.K. I am in envy.Thats a good thought about weather or not the right side tweeter was sold as a stereo pair only.I sure hope this is not the case as this will make them even harder to find. As for grill cloth perhaps a sacrafical cabinet from eBay.Since they are small grills the entire front section of grille cloth from a beat up lowboy could serve as a donar for both grilles on the Bel Aires.On my units the grille cloth color and the coloring of the outer trim band are both different.I think one has come from a location where heavy smoking was a factor as one of them has a really pretty golden hugh (nicotine stained?) on the grille material and the outer trim bands.The other has a cleaner looking grille and silver outer trim band.Its the same cloth just a different appearence.First time I ever knew that smoking could improve on something.I assume that audiobeer did the little footies for the cabinets also.Nice work there audiobeer.In those pictures is that a Minigon for restoration that is partially covered up???Inquiring minds want to know.Best regards,Oldmics

Minigon? I wish. If I had a place for a pair and some nice glass amps I dedicate a room for just that. actualy that was a a monitor with a side of veneer replaced. It's a 4311B. Those little footies were a pain. They are filled with a fiber just like a cigarette filter. It's place right over the screw holding the foot to the cabinet. I'm going to use wood filler and then felt over that.
    Last edited by Audiobeer; 08-31-2003 at 09:27 PM.

Thread Information