Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ring Radiator Comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    No...that would be the 2412H/-1....repackaged 035Ti/A

The 2406 and 2407 both are ring radiators with 2406 with polyester/mylar diaphragms, curiously similar....very similar... to the BMS.
    To my eyes, the BMS driver looks just like the JBL driver but without the threaded flange!

Now If JBL is really using a BMS driver, it isnt difficult to have their driver made with the threaded flange and chamfered front! But the backcaps look identical! Even the connectors!

BMS could make it for JBL to JBL specs, and possibly the only difference is the diaphragm material.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    To my eyes, the BMS driver looks just like the JBL driver but without the threaded flange!

Now If JBL is really using a BMS driver, it isnt difficult to have their driver made with the threaded flange and chamfered front! But the backcaps look identical! Even the connectors!

BMS could make it for JBL to JBL specs, and possibly the only difference is the diaphragm material.
    It looks more like the BMS in the coax I linked to above. Still, the 0.6" difference in diameters is significant, as is the difference in sensitivity and power handling capacities....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Don't MAKE me open these up, now.

We'll leave the actual internal construction for Mr. Widget to discover....
    Here's a couple of pics from OCS website of 2407H diaphragm. Does this look like Titanium to you? Not me....unless it's that new, clear titanium.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

It looks more like the BMS in the coax I linked to above. Still, the 0.6" difference in diameters is significant, as is the difference in sensitivity and power handling capacities....
    I dont know, I do know they look remarkably similar to each other, different mounting assemblies, and the JBL has a differently shaped front, but from the back they look really close. The 0.6" difference in diameter is not to be dismissed either.

BMS rates the 4552ND at 113db1w@1M! What does JBL rate theirs as?

What about the picture of the diaphragm Edgewound put online? It says 2407, is it the diaphragm for the 2407?
    scottyj

What about the picture of the diaphragm Edgewound put online? It says 2407, is it the diaphragm for the 2407?
    We don't have the specs on 2407, but in one of the systems it's used in, 110 dB.

A call to OCS or JBL Pro tomorrow will clear up the issue of the diaphragm material. I'm only restating what's in the literature. I know nothing but my tests, above....

We don't have the specs on 2407, but in one of the systems it's used in, 110 dB.

A call to OCS or JBL Pro tomorrow will clear up the issue of the diaphragm material. I'm only restating what's in the literature. I know nothing but my tests, above....
    And I know even less about this tweeter!

But from the side they look quite similar! Its only the front threaded flange and chamfered front that look different to me. The backs look identical.

Mind you, I am not saying anything bad about them, Ive never heard them, and they look interesting enough!

I wonder how they sound, and if they sound better than the slots and bullets?

Did you listen to them? If so, how did you like them? And compare them to the more traditional JBL tweeters, please!

scottyj

Did you listen to them? If so, how did you like them? And compare them to the more traditional JBL tweeters, please!
    All's I've heard on 'em is pink noise so far.

I s'pose, since they're MORE than merely tweeters, I COULD compromise the "NO TWEETERS" rule here and try 'em two-way in the S99 Hotrods. That'll cross them just above 1 kHz.

Gotta reconfigure stuff to make that happen using M552 active and biamping, as all of my crossovers here have compensation in 'em. These don't need it. Maybe I just use a cap for starters....

I dont know, I do know they look remarkably similar to each other, different mounting assemblies, and the JBL has a differently shaped front, but from the back they look really close. The 0.6" difference in diameter is not to be dismissed either.

Yes!!! The picture and the label on this diaphragm don't lie. It's the replacement diaphragm for the JBL 2407H. The JBL Lit is not factual...it's NOT Titanium. I'ts polyester/mylar. I didn't make this picture up, and neither did OCS. I have a burned 2406H diaphragm in my shop...maybe a new one too. It's also polyester/mylar.

Yes!!! The picture and the label on this diaphragm don't lie. It's the replacement diaphragm for the JBL 2407H. The JBL Lit is not factual...it's NOT Titanium. I'ts polyester/mylar. I didn't make this picture up, and neither did OCS. I have a burned 2406H diaphragm in my shop...maybe a new one too. It's also polyester/mylar.
    This has my curiosity going.

Poly/Mylar diaphragm and I wonder, if in fact the 2407 does use this material for the diaphragm, how it sounds with todays source material?

It just makes me think of that old EV T-350 or something like that, the one that the klipsch, and a few other guys seem to love, and its diaphragm is not metal, either!

I am beginning to wonder about these 2407,s! Maybe want to try them!
    scottyj

This has my curiosity going.

Poly/Mylar diaphragm and I wonder, if in fact the 2407 does use this material for the diaphragm, how it sounds with todays source material?

It just makes me think of that old EV T-350 or something like that, the one that the klipsch, and a few other guys seem to love, and its diaphragm is not metal, either!

I am beginning to wonder about these 2407,s! Maybe want to try them!
    The EV ST-350, T-35 is a 1" coil, phenolic diaphragm. The 2406H polyester/Mylar ring radiator is used in the JBL MP412 series speakers. Go to your local JBL Pro dealer and give them a listen.

The EV ST-350, T-35 is a 1" coil, phenolic diaphragm. The 2406H polyester/Mylar ring radiator is used in the JBL MP412 series speakers. Go to your local JBL Pro dealer and give them a listen.
    Good idea!

It just occurs to me alot of guys love that EV tweeter, and many say it is easier to listen to than a JBL metal diaphragm!

Same way some guys love the 2482,s for mids!

Ill be in Manhattan Thursday!
    scottyj

SS mesh

This is a picture of a 2416H. Does this compression driver have an SS mesh like the 2407H?

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Daugaard

This is a picture of a 2416H. Does this compression driver have an SS mesh like the 2407H?
    Yes...it's a screen to keep debris from entering the throat

Fake/Clone JBL 2416's

I saw this ebay auction a couple days ago, and emailed him about it. The auction is still up...

These are NOT JBL drivers... take a look at the phase plug, No annular slits! Round holes instead. Accepts a JBL or aftermarket clone diaphragm.

I have several JBL MR Series speakers with 2416H drivers, and none of them have "holes" in the phase plug like this pic.

I saw a pair of these same drivers on ebay awhile back, and knew they were not. I cut'n'pasted the pics from that auction into an email to JBL PRO Tech support. The next day, they confirmed with this reply:
    Dear Rudy,

Definitely not JBL component. I asked around to see if anybody might know who made this, and it seems to be a Radian, but not absolutely sure.

Hope that helps,

Best Regards,

Alphonso H. Ochoa
    JBL Professional
    Technical Support

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 3:48 PM
    To: Ochoa, Alphonso
    Subject: 2416 Drivers: JBL or fakes?

"These are NOT JBL drivers... take a look at the phase plug, No annular slits! Round holes instead. Accepts a JBL or aftermarket clone diaphragm."

Did they check out a 2415??? I also have one of those salt and pepper phase plugs. If it's not a JBL it's a dead ringer. You can't tell one from another asside from differences in the phase plug.

Rob

Thread Information