Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Equalizers

Recommended Equalizers

For the JBL inclined...

Top recommended Eq's that work well for JBL 3-ways and large format monitors?

How regularly do you use your EQ?
    Why do you prefer it?
    What features "work" well as filters?
    What don't you like about it?
    What would you rather be using?

I don't know about the top five, but I use an AudioControl C-131 1/3 octave egualizer ( true Q).retailed around $1000 ( I got it new much cheaper ). I don't use it often, just when I'm in the mood.

I winced when I saw this thread - there's been quite a bit offered-up over the years, but is sure is not orgainzed!

Anyway, here's what my Search tossed up - maye this will help your choosing?

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...searchid=63765
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    I winced when I saw this thread - there's been quite a bit offered-up over the years, but is sure is not orgainzed!

Anyway, here's what my Search tossed up - maye this will help your choosing?

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...searchid=63523
    That link worked well...as in "not."
    Out.

The "wince" was exactly WHY I started the thread... do you know HOW many different opinions there are in those threads? Yes, there are many choices... but to have some sort of coop consensus would be quite helpful to anyone who was approaching this topic.

I am finding more and more that it is easy to flesh out the general trends in JBL monitors and speaker components on this forum... but seeing as though things like an EQ is a necessary part of many of the more advanced JBL monitor designs I thought that a list of sorts would be useful.

Like amps, the ability of a particular eq to just "work" as in "fit well" with JBL is valuable information... yet, unlike amps the technical aspects of an EQ boiled down to plug and play features/preferences would be very useful.

This is not meant to be a newbie question......but an attempt to try to make some sort of sense about the posts "over the years" that are "all over the place" figuratively and literally.

Soundcraftsmen

For over 30 years I have used Soundcraftsmen equalizers. Yes, I realize the company folded up many years ago, but I bought my first one in 1975 when the company was still in existence, and as I added additional systems, I grabbed more of these units on eBay. I now have five of them: two RP2215-R's, two RP2212's, and one RP2204 as a spare. I also have an AS1000 Audio spectrum analyzer. I need a microphone for this unit.

I use them all regularly in my four systems. I keep the spare in the unlikely event one of my eq's needs service.

I prefer them because they are clean, transparent sounding, and very reliable. In over 30 years I have had ONE repair incident. They were reasonably priced for the level of performance and reliability they offered. They are also attractive units (especially the 2215's). Their transparent quality is a plus with the JBL's, IMO.

The unity or zero gain controls are very useful. I believe the filters are a slightly better quality in the RP2215-R's, and have a +/- 15db boost/cut range as opposed to the +/- 12db in the other units. The 2215's also have flat detents in the sliders.

The only negative thing I can say is the controls can get a bit sticky with age. But, most of the time I "set and forget" so this is not a big issue.

I can't really say I'd rather use anything else..though there are some other very nice units. The Audio Control third-octave models come to mind, though Soundcraftsmen also made a very nice third-octave model. I never really saw a big need for that much control, however. Crown's EQ2 was also a very good and extremely flexible unit, though it lacked the unity gain controls. I'd still snag one of these if I had the extra $ and found a real clean one. I've always had a lot of respect for this unit.

If anyone has one of those AS1000 mics let me know!

Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by DMMD
    For the JBL inclined...

JBL, White, KK

How regularly do you use your EQ? Never had to
    Why do you prefer it? N/a
    What features "work" well as filters? Use a true "gated" analyser and set the system flat with the L Pads in the near field first, then decide "if" you need an equaliser.
    What don't you like about it? Generally their use is abused.
    What would you rather be using?Room correction system
    . .

Bo's response was shorter than I would have expected, perhaps he will elaborate more later. It's a bit like buying Noise Gates or any other effects/processor, if you don't know how to use them they are not much good.The publication below will answer all your questions thoroughly and correctly.

Order Live Sound Mixing by Duncan Fry available on Amazon ISBN 0 646 11235 X .

Generally however while equalisers appear in use with monitors professionally I am not aware they are a necessesity in a home listening environment. If you are using the monitors for recording processes continue shopping. They are generally used in PA foldback to cure mic feedback and FOH correction and in recording applications where exacting requirements are the norm. If you feel you need an equaliser for home use firstly consider addressing "room related" sound problems particularly if the room is large or live. Some treatment of the room maybe needed. An equaliser will not solve all your problems and when used correctly they are used for minor adjustments.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    . If you feel you need an equaliser for home use firstly consider addressing "room related" sound problems particularly if the room is large or live. An equaliser will not solve all your problems and when used correctly they are used for minor adjustments.

Ian

Very, very true. Especially large, bare walls with their attendant reflections. I have found acoustic foam can make a dramatic improvement in the stereo image and "warmth" of the sound. Since the foam deadens things up quite a bit, it can tend to squash the high end a bit. Your equalizer can help correct this little drawback while retaining the benefits of the improved acoustics. And of course, it can satisfy your personal preferences as well.

Peter

I too am surprised Bo didn't want to elaborate...

How regularly do you use your EQ? A bit of an odd question. If I use one in a particular system, it is always on. I use an RTA or Clio to measure the system and with tweaks by ear set the EQ and then it is part of that system.

Why do you prefer it? If it is a good EQ, most are not, then it will take out some of the annoying peaks that ALL speakers and especially horn systems have. Occasionally I'll also use one to boost the HF or low end of a system... I usually don't though.

What features "work" well as filters? Not sure what you mean.

What don't you like about it? I use Rane ME30s for my front three channels in my HT. They are OK, but for music I notice they add a harsh gritty sound quality. I know others use them and seem happy enough, but if you try a better unit, you'll see what I mean. For My main music system I was using a pair of White 4400s. They sound great, but are a little less intuitive in setting up due to their rotary knobs. They are also difficult to ground properly and not have some hum.

What would you rather be using? A couple of months ago I bought a digital unit made by DEQX. It is a preamp, crossover, analyzer, phase and time correction unit as well as a kick ass EQ. It is stunningly good (this coming from an anti digital luddite). It is also not inexpensive.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget

It is also not inexpensive.

Widget
    Yep, you could buy a fine older used automobile for the price.

Ranes

I have used a Rane ME60 and GE60. Both were fine units for the 300 bucks they cost. Hell, I sold the ME60 for 350.00 after using it for a year. I still have the GE60 and its literaly new. I too had Soundcraft Eq's back in the 70's.

I have a gorgeous pair of White 4400's with balanced input and output transformers (options). Their a big step up from the Ranes. Message me if your interested.

Ken

OK, so beat on me - I had a gig tonight. The place where Ian sucked some serious face with the really cute barmaid (long since married off... ). Anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by DMMD
    KT DN370. Period.

How regularly do you use your EQ? 24/7

Why do you prefer it? It is necessary to accomodate room acoustics.

What features "work" well as filters? What do you mean? My latest is my favorite so-far. High-quality analogue, proportional Q, 30-band and two overlapping notch filters. Somebody knew what they were doing...

What don't you like about it? That I cannot hear it when I'm away from home...

What would you rather be using? Nothing. Why would I not have what I think reasonably works best?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

And what a sweetie she was .....! I think even The Widget with his impeccable taste would approve.

DMMD...don't mind Bo..he's drunk..again...how 's the couch Bo?

We kinda indulge in off topic traffic around here.

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget

What features "work" well as filters? Not sure what you mean.
    Widget
    I wasn't too sure what this meant either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Don't worry I will wash this post later...
    Yes I think you should clean this post up. You should remove the picture of the band!

Thread Information