Thread: E-V Interface speakers

E-V Interface speakers

Does anyone have any experience or opinion on these?

I remember years ago when they debuted at CES in Chicago - of all the speakers I listened to there, I was most impressed with these AND the incredible, in-depth design work that apparently went into them - their demo talk went on for almost an hour! I realized then that these were made by one of the oldest speaker companies around who have extensive R & D facilities and personnel.
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

I remember them. A friend had the Interface B (pretty sure) and I was after the C
    at the time (special vented midrange was a big "breakthrough"/ad-feature) and a
    soft dome tweeter with variable density foam to control directivity? (probably not such
    a good idea, long term, given what happens to foam). Also remember an out of my league
    at the time Interface D... possibly slot loaded bass. All getting rather fuzzy now, but
    the sound was very nice with the external equalizer in a reasonable sized room...

might google for more info...

EV Interface

Interface Number series 2

EV 1 8'' 2way Superdometweeter
    EV 2 8'' 2way 10''passive Superdome tweeter
    EV 3 8'' 2way 12'' passive superdome tweeter

All efficient and vinyl wrap boxes

Interface Alphabet series 2 & 3

EV A 8'' 2 way 12'' weighted passive superdome tweeter Outboard EQ Box
    EV B 8'' 2 way 12'' weighted passive superdome tweeter Outboard EQ box
    EV C 10'' woofer VMR midrange superdome tweeter Outboard EQ box
    EV D 12'' Downfiring woofer VMR midrange T350a Radial horn tweeter and outboard EQ box

All were efficient Walnut veneer cabinets and good value for money,especially the C & Ds.
    Thats as far as my memory goes,hope this helps
    Michael

Yes, I was impressed by the in-depth, lengthy exposition and demo in the E-V room at CES - it seemed to go on forever and I ended up realizing their chief engineer must have lived, slept, breathed these speakers! I think the "D" was the flag ship model and was most impressive sounding.

No one here has one of these in use now?
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

pbda
    I've got a pair of EV Interface As that I bought in 1976 and that are still going strong. I've had them refoamed twice in the past 19 years. They are a very nice sounding pair of speakers with impressive bass response from an astonishingly shallow (about 7") cabinet. High end response has always seemed fine to me, though there are those who find fault with the speakers on that basis.

They are a real pain the the butt to transport because the passive radiator needs to be immobilized lest it bounce around and destroy itself.

The gentleman that I use for refoaming refers to the Interface series as "cult" speakers, given that there are not many around and the owners tend to hang on to them.

I give high marks to ElectroVoice. A few months ago I called their 800 customer service number, and the gentleman sent me at no charge a copy of the owner's manual (which I'd lost years ago) and some other information on the speakers as well. That is great service and it's a pity more firms don't provide it.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I remember them. A friend had the Interface B (pretty sure) and I was after the C
    at the time (special vented midrange was a big "breakthrough"/ad-feature) and a
    soft dome tweeter with variable density foam to control directivity? (probably not such
    a good idea, long term, given what happens to foam). Also remember an out of my league
    at the time Interface D... possibly slot loaded bass. All getting rather fuzzy now, but
    the sound was very nice with the external equalizer in a reasonable sized room...

might google for more info...
    I realize this is a really old thread but I was just googling these and found this thread. I bought EV Interface C's in about 1983. I had talked my parents into getting Interface A's for their living room some time earlier. They used them for a couple of decades but when the passive radiators fell apart we replaced the speakers rather than repair them.

I didn't use the active equalizer with my C's because I built a 12 cu. ft. sub with a JBL 2245H to take care of the bottom end. With about 2,000 watts total system power I could dim the lights with the canon shots on Telarcs 1812 overture disk (without skipping the needle). The C's never flinched but I did have to repair the 2245H a couple of times before replacing it recently. I still love those speakers, the only reason I replaced them was going to a 7.1 home theater, I could not get anything that really matched them. They have held up beautifully. The foam directivity ring on one of the tweeters just disintegrated when I carried them upstairs a couple of weeks ago. Otherwise they are in perfect shape (if you don't count the scratches on the grill cloth from the cat, can't blame EV for that).

It's a pity EV exited the home speaker market quite a few years back, they made a quality product.

At the shop where I worked in the 70s, the Interface A was EXTREMELY popular. We didn't sell as many as we did Advents, but we sold tons (literally) of them. I liked them, even though it wasn't "cool" to like JBL, EV etc back then.

EV Interface D Series II INCREDIBLE FIND!!!!!!

Hello everyone, I am a first timer here..I just purchased a set of EV Interface D Series II. I took them over to Dixie Speaker here in Birmingham, Alabama. They told me these were very rare speakers and they had never seen a pair of them before..I had them completely checked out and they re-did the foam around the subs in the bottom. WOW, I just got them home and cranked them up...I am BLOWN AWAY...These things are incredible..So I thought I would join this forum and ask you guys if anyone else has a pair and if you are still using them..I also read that the Series II did not need an Equalizer..They sound fine just how I have them plugged in now..I know nothing about them but they sound crisp and clear.. I also have a set of JBL MINT Vintage 1970s James B Lansing JBL Lancer 55 Glass Top Speakers. I can't wait to compare them these EV Interface D's. Thanks for taking the time to read this..I am excited about my thrift store find..All the best, saxmusic22

Sounds cool ... any pictures??

Quote Originally Posted by saxmusic22 View Post
    Hello everyone, I am a first timer here..I just purchased a set of EV Interface D Series II. I took them over to Dixie Speaker here in Birmingham, Alabama. They told me these were very rare speakers and they had never seen a pair of them before..I had them completely checked out and they re-did the foam around the subs in the bottom. WOW, I just got them home and cranked them up...I am BLOWN AWAY...These things are incredible..So I thought I would join this forum and ask you guys if anyone else has a pair and if you are still using them..I also read that the Series II did not need an Equalizer..They sound fine just how I have them plugged in now..I know nothing about them but they sound crisp and clear.. I also have a set of JBL MINT Vintage 1970s James B Lansing JBL Lancer 55 Glass Top Speakers. I can't wait to compare them these EV Interface D's. Thanks for taking the time to read this..I am excited about my thrift store find..All the best, saxmusic22
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I'll try to figure this out and send the pictures as soon as I figure it out..Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I'll call the EV 800 number tomorrow and get a owners manual..Still need to figure out how to hook them up. They have two seprate speaker inputs. One for the sub I think and the other for the mids? Not sure though. Thanks for any input..

I did a Google for EV Interface D Series II -
    https://encrypted.google.com/search?...ce+D+Series+II

And found a number of links ...

Some pics on this used audio (Sold) page in Australia -
    http://www.rageaudio.com.au/index.php?p=1_4

A discussion with more pictures are here -
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234998

"Biggest weakness in my book is that confounded foam surround on the woofers."

Specs:
    Frequency response:
    18Hz - 18kHz +/- 2.5dB

Efficiency:
    97dB @ 1 Watt/1 Metre
    3% Quarter-space

Maximum power handling:
    500 Watts

Impedance:
    8 Ohms nominal
    5 Ohms minimum

Transducer complement:
    12 inch dynamic woofer, downward facing
    6.5 inch VMRâ„¢ vented midrange
    ST350A neckless radial horn tweeter

Bi-amplification capable

Tweeter protection

Dimensions:

21.75 inches wide (552mm)
    32 inches high (813mm)
    15.5 inches deep (394mm)

Walnut veneer

Net weight:
    114lbs (51kg)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

As a side "note" (pun intended) and for the sake of techical info, that low 18Hz note was probably reached thanks to a Linkwitz transformer. It started in the mid to late 1970 with Kef, per exemple. Basically a 20db boost and remodelling of the two lower octaves. This is what most people identify as "the equalizer".

Here's the Kef Kube 200. Kef had different models that were specific to their various speakers. I have a 200 and it does marvel to any system. It slightly cuts upper bass and injects tons of dynamic lower bass and infra. Most likley what JBL's BX63a does too.

Name:  KEFKube200.jpg
Views: 17947
Size:  60.0 KB

Thanks everyone

Thanks for all your replies. I am thoroughly enjoying these speakers..I am now looking for the equalizer that goes with these speakers..Wish me luck..

Thread Information